Library reopened

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Timmer
Site Admin

Library reopened

Post by Timmer »

Announcement: The "File Library" has been reopened.

https://www.rubymurray.org/library/

The original software was written 20 years ago and eventually stopped working. I have written a new solution and that wonderful resource is now available again. Some of the URLs have changed, but the paths to the individual files themselves have not. (Just in case they were linked.)

The library is currently read-only, but in the near future, I hope to add the ability to accept new files and a search function.

Enjoy!

Donald Hill

Re: Library reopened

Post by Donald Hill »

Great Timmer. Working well

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Thanks, Donald. I have added a new column called "Type" so you'll know what kind of content to expect.

Also, one non-working item in the Lyrics category was located and fixed.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I go away for a few days and when I come back I see that you have been very busy sorting out the problem with the old library! :D

Well done in getting it all working again. I also like very much the fresh look of it, and the easy way you can navigate around it so thank you very much for all your efforts - I think this library is going to last a very long time and will provide a constant source for anybody looking for memories of Ruby Murray.
Gerald

Donald Hill

Post by Donald Hill »

Hi Timmer,

Yes saw the "Type". Its really good and as Gerald says has that fresh clean look. Also fast, well for me anyway.

Donald

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

I just wrote and added a quick and dirty little search function to the library. Please let me know if you see any problems.

Donald Hill

Post by Donald Hill »

Hi Timmer,
Searching is working very well. Only suggestion is when you close a file quite a way down a list it always jumps back to the beginning.
Found some photos Id not seen.

Donald

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Donald Hill wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:17 pm
Searching is working very well. Only suggestion is when you close a file quite a way down a list it always jumps back to the beginning.
Thanks! Good suggestion. I have an idea how to handle that in the future. Stay tuned. :)

Gerald Lawrence

I have tried out the new search facility too, and it all seems to be working well. I particularly like that when you type in a word, such as Teddy, it searches the whole site and comes up with a document with the lyrics, as well as the mp3 of the song.

Only one small point, there is no Search button to click on after typing in the words, and it did take me a moment to realise that you just have to click on "Return" and it does the search very quickly.

Thanks again for fixing the library, Tim.
Gerald

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Good feedback. I'll get a button on there!

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

A button has been added to the search box.

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

So, I think the old software might have a had a bug that renumbered and/or clobbered a few items in the library. If someone feels up to it, perhaps they could check items (by category) and report back any that seem to have descriptions that don't match files. I know I've seen at least two. (One that I fixed, the other I can't remember.)

Gerald Lawrence

Thanks for the button!

OK, I have checked out the first section called Album Covers. All is OK except Page 1 Item 2 and the title does not match the text. This could actually date back to an uploading error, but in any case, the picture is of the sheet music for Goodbye Jimmy Goodbye, and is already in the Sheet Music section of the library.

I would add here that looking at some of the Album Cover pictures, there are a few which are not very good quality. When you eventually get the Upload feature to work, I could help in replacing some of them with better quality scans if you wish.
Gerald

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Gerald Lawrence wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:54 am
OK, I have checked out the first section called Album Covers. All is OK except Page 1 Item 2 and the title does not match the text. This could actually date back to an uploading error, but in any case, the picture is of the sheet music for Goodbye Jimmy Goodbye, and is already in the Sheet Music section of the library.
Bingo! That's the one I saw.
Gerald Lawrence wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:54 am
I would add here that looking at some of the Album Cover pictures, there are a few which are not very good quality. When you eventually get the Upload feature to work, I could help in replacing some of them with better quality scans if you wish.
I definitely think that's a good idea!

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

I made a few additional changes to the Library function. I hope you like.

Upload support is coming soon.