The 89th Anniversary of Ruby's Birthday

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

The 89th Anniversary of Ruby's Birthday

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

If we had been lucky enough to still have Ruby alive with us she would have been 89 today and we would have been wishing her a Happy Birthday. However, it was not to be, but as Graham has mentioned in his post, her memory lives on and not just with the original fans. She left us with a treasure trove of lovely recordings and beautiful photographs. Her film "A Touch of the Sun" was on Talking Pictures TV on Tuesday this week, a very nice memory of when she was at the peak of her career.
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Re: The 89th Anniversary of Ruby's Birthday

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hello Gerald,
So nice to see your post remembering Ruby's birthday.......It makes me feel old when I see how old Ruby would have been.......Ruby came into my life when I was 14 years old the very start of her career,I fell in love with that voice over the radio......I had to wait many years before I actually met her but she did not disappoint, as well as having that fantastic voice she was a lovely person who always had time for her fans.......Dearly missed.
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Re: The 89th Anniversary of Ruby's Birthday

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello Graham,
your experience is similar to my own. I saw and heard Ruby for the first time on TV in her first appearance in Quite Contrary. I was so impressed with the way she put over her song without lots of arm waving and dramatics, her very sweet and gentle voice, and how pretty she looked to me as a 14 year old schoolboy! Then a short while later I heard her NI accent and it just made me go weak at he knees! I first met her in April of 1955 when she came to a local record shop to sign records, which is where I bought my copy of Softly, Softly. I didn't have long to spend with her, the "guardians" kept every one moving, but it was a memorable occasion.
Gerald