Ruby In Pantomime

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

Ruby In Pantomime

Post by Graham Bunn »

It was so nice to see the Christmas Page again Gerald,can't really believe that twelve months have gone by so quickly.

As this is the Christmas Season it got me thinking about pantomimes and I was never lucky enough to see Ruby in a pantomime......I did see her in the touring production of Snow White with Bernie but I don't think you would have called that production a pantomime although from what Bernie told us about the show in his book it seemed as though it was a right pantomime.

I would be interested to know the characters that Ruby played in pantomime so perhaps other members who were fortunate enough to see Ruby could give us the characters and perhaps the theatre and year she played the part.

Best Christmas Wishes to all
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham,

I can perhaps fill in all the details of the pantomimes that Ruby appeared in but it would be so much better if the answers came from some of our fans/friends so I will refrain, - for the time being.

I can itemize some of the star names that appeared in some of the pantos.

Jewel & Warriss, Freddie Mills, Derek Roy, Alex Munro and Peter Goodwright, etc. All of the shows were highly successful and they really were pantomimes in those days. All the audience participation sketches like - the song sheet at the end with the children singing their heads off. The leading comic, or the dame, or both, getting the children to shout something out whenever he came on to the stage - what fun it all was.

Name the pantos friends,

Regards. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Graham, well Kathleen and I saw Ruby in pantomime at Chester I think it was Cinderella. I also remember that a boy band from Bolton who I was friendly with also was in the show, but I can't remember the name of the band. We are going back a long way now, it was before we got married, and I had to hire a car because mine was being repaired. I can also remember that it was a really bad night because of heavy snow, and we only just made it in time for the beginning of the show.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John,

The panto that you are referring to was 'Puss in Boots' at the Royalty Theatre in Chester 1963/4. Peter Goodwright was the comic, Alex Munro was the dame (his daughter was Janet Munro the film actress. She starred with Sean Connery in 'Darby O'Gill and the Little People' many years ago and eventually succumbed to alcoholism and passed away at a very young age).
The group you mentioned was in fact The Black Abbots from which of course came Russ Abbot. The manager of The Royalty Theatre was a man called Dennis Critchley, he discovered the Black Abbots and taught them a great deal about show business and how to construct their act. Dennis and I were both touring as A.S.Ms (Assitant Stage Manager) in the 40s when he was working for a double comedy act that only the senior members might just about remember - Nat Mills & Bobbie.

I am giving away my age now = mentioning Nat Mills & Bobbie.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Bernie, Well you must be right with the pantomime, because the dates are correct, I said it was before we got married, and Kathleen has just informed me we got married in February 1965. I use to be a buyer for a Gents outfitters in Bolton, I worked there for 30 years before I had to retire with my problems, and the group use to come in the shop quite often, and I would order special suits for them. They actually got me the tickets for the show. I best shut up now its made feel very old, and I'm only a young lad yet.
Regards
John.

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

I seem to remember seeing Ruby in pantomime at the Liverpool Empire many years ago?

All good wishes to all for Christmas and the New Year.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Don,

The pantomime you refer to was 'Babes in the Wood' with Jimmy Jewell and Ben Warriss at the Liverpool Empire Theatre. (The Royal Variety Performance has just been televised from that theatre, due to the fact that Liverpool is the current Cultural City). Playing priciple boy, opposite Ruby, was Lynette Rae, who eventually married Val Doonican. The year was 1957/8. I was in panto at the Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham and the cast included, Arthur Haynes and Freddie Frinton. Ruby and I decided to rent an apartment in Crewe, the halfway point between the two cities and we both commuted after the show each night.

What a wonderful man Freddy Frinton was and such a funny comedian. To remind people who may not remember him, he was regularly on television as a 'drunk' in top hat and tails with a broken cigarette in his mouth singing 'Sugar in the Morning, sugar in the evening'. He was famous also for his classic sketch called 'Dinner For One' in which he was a very elderly butler waiting on an eccentric old lady at a table with imaginary guests on her birthday. The don't make 'em like that these days, unfortunately.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

Hello Bernie,

Thanks for refreshing my memory of the Liverpool Empire I remember travelling over by train from Barnsley, watched the panto, spent time with Ruby backstage, and then the train journey back to Barnsley in the early hours. I also remember Freddy Frinton - saw him a number of times at the Sheffield Empire, now no longer there unfortunately.

Happy memories...

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Don (Ref).

So pleased that you remember seeing Freddie Frinton, he was a joy to see. You say that you saw him at the theatre in Barnsley, I remember playing there a couple of times, at least. If my memory serves me correctly it was the Theatre Royal. I don't think that Ruby played there, not after we were married anyway.

The other 3 Jones Boys came from Doncaster so it was almost like playing the local theatre. After my marriage to Ruby, we all became like a family unit, each of us had wives and we enjoyed each other's company. There are still three ex wives living quite happily in various parts of the country.

One of Ruby's ex pianists, Geoff Saunders, married a girl from the Barnsley area, I am still in contact with her - Beryl. Unfortunately, Geoff is no longer around but I get frequent emails from Beryl. In or around 1958/9 Geoff, who was playing piano for Ruby at that time, asked Ruby to stand guarantor for him and Beryl so that they could buy a house in Caterham. In fairly recent years they decided that there wasn't enough Pianist/M.D. work around and they moved away from Surrey and went to live near Barnsley.(Darnton??) Geoff, after he had played for Ruby for a long time, became Pianist/M.D. to Roy Castle and did The Record Breakers television show with him.

I do go on a bit when I start talking about the past, I just hope that some of it is of interest to the fans/friends.

My very best wishes.

Adios AMigo. Bernie.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

I remember seeing Freddie Frinton in pantomime with the magician David Nixon it was in a theatre in Coventry and Bernie he did that routine Dinner For One,he was so funny.
He later went on T.V with Thora Hird in "Meet The Wife" and I saw them both at the London Palladium doing sketches from this show.

Bernie don't worry about talking about the past,it was a magical time and I'm so pleased to have lived though the fifties and sixties and can thank myself lucky that I saw so many of the wonderful artists that you have listed.
Best Wishes
Graham

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

Hi Bernie,

It was at the Sheffield Empire where I saw Freddy Frinton a number of times. You are quite right - it it the Theatre Royal here in Barnsley - some kind of night club now.

A quick funny story - not long after Ruby first appearred on Quite Contrary, and I had sent my first fan letter, [b]there was the Theatre Royal billboard [/b]advertising Ruby - top of the bill. I dragged a friend along - sat through all the (mediocre) preceeding acts. Final act - here she comes - been worth all the wait - and some fat contralto woman came on and finished the show!!

I wrote to the theatre manager to complain that there had been no warning at all about Ruby's non-appearance. His reply was to the effect that as a result of her sudden fame, her management had cancelled the booking. I still wonder how many people in the theatre that night went away thinking that fat lady was Ruby!!!!

Interesting to hear about your friends Geoff/Beryl - Darton is just outside Barnsley. Only past well known local pianist I know of in the area was a Geoff - but it was Haigh.

All good wishes, Don.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Bernie,
It seems that you will have to list the Pantomimes for me(I really will find this interesting).
If you can give me the names of the Pantomime the year it was performed and the theatre I would by very greatful.

This information will be filed away with all the other Ruby memorabilia which I have.

Have yourself a Great Christmas and a Very Happy New Year
Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham;

Okay, I will do that for you with pleasure, perhaps tomorrow as I am getting ready for the Christmas festivities at the moment.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham

1957/8 - Empire Theatre Liverpool. Jewel and Warris
I think the subject was 'Babes in the Wood'

1959/60. - Hippodrome Hulme Manchester, with Freddie Mills
the subject was 'Dick Whittington'.

1960/61. Pavilion Theatre Torquay with Derek Roy.
the subject was 'Cinderella'

1963/4(?) The Royalty Theatre Chester with Peter Goodwright and Alex Munro. The subject was 'Puss in Boots'

If I can come up with any more I will post on the Forum.

Merry Christmas. to you and everyone on the website.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.