Ruby At The Palladium

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Jk

Ruby At The Palladium

Post by Jk »

Hello all, for those of you I have not sent an email with the video of Ruby singing Softly at the London Palladium, hear is the link to view it. I am having a problem to upload it onto the site, because of the "File Extension", but will try to sort it out. Anyone who would like a copy of the video just send me a private message with your email and I will be pleased to send it to you. I hope to have a better copy soon, although this is quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN3qu1DTgX8
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Youtube

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John.

I have just seen your posting in connection with the video clip of Ruby singing live on stage. I am having great difficulty getting it to play, is it something that I am doing, or not doing, or is it a problem with downloading?

I think you will find that this video is from a 'Royal' televison show called '40 Years of Peace' which was attended by royalty. If my mememory serves me correctly, it was televised from the Palace Theatre in Cambridge Circus. Of course I stand to be corrected.

Although I hesitate to say it, the clip does not show Ruby at her best, both vocally and visually, she appears to have put quite a lot of weight on. I hope that I don't upset anyone by saying that. We all gain weight as we grow older. I know I have increased in weight, enormously.

Kindest regards Adios Amigo. Bernie

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, I have tried the link and it works fine for me.
Regards
John.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Bernie you are right it does come from the show 40 Years Of Peace.
The acts were split into different years ie forties ,fifties,sixties ect

Of course Ruby was in the section relating to the fifties,I do have this show on tape which I have now converted to DVD and other artists in the fifties section included Anne Shelton,Lita Roza,Bryan Johnson,Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson plus others.

If you look carefully it seems that some of the artists were miming and not singing live.....I think this was at a time when Ruby had started to tour with her Fifties Show and although she had changed a lot the nostalgia was still there.

Best Wishes
Graham

Jk

Post by Jk »

Yes you are correct Graham, the other artist did choose to mime, but Ruby decided she wanted to sing live, I admire her for that. I did see the show at the time, but I never recorded it.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

40 yrs of Peace

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello friends.

After quite a sruggle I have managed to listen to the whole song, I had to do it 2 or 3 notes at a time.

I too am glad that Ruby sang 'live' and despite a few little blemishes along the way she gave a very fine performance. The feeling that she put into the rendition was very evident. Television appearances were always quite an ordeal but when you are perfoming in front of royalty it increases the stress enormously. That same familiar feeling of worrying for her returned to me and I was singing it with her, as I always did - in the wings of course.

Kindest regards.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you for posting the link, John, it is good to see Ruby in fine song again. As Bernie has said, it must have been a real struggle with nerves for her - as it is for us every time we watch her!!

The problem with watching it on YouTube is probably only there if you are not on broadband, and this is the case for you Bernie. One tip which might help is after you click on the link to start the video, press pause, and wait until the red progress bar along the bottom has moved quite a way to the right (I am afraid this is going to take a long time with a dial-up modem). Then press play and you will see it playing without stuttering.

I am trying to find a way of converting the file for the video so that we can put it in our library.
Gerald

Jk

Ruby At The Palladium

Post by Jk »

Hello to all Members, for those of you I sent email too with the video of Ruby At The Palladium, my guess is that you have been unable to play it. I sent the video to Gerald, who also cannot play it. "I have Real Player 11 Plus" and have had no problem with it at all. Anyhow if you click on the link I have posted you will be able to view it without any problem. Gerald has said he will try to sort the file out, which is a FLV file that is a "Video Flash File". I am sorry for the inconvenience I may have caused you. Hope we can get it on the site soon.
Regards
John.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello, I have just had a email from Gerald to say he has upgraded Real Player from 10.5 to a 11 and everything is working fine, so I suggest you all upgrade to 11. http://uk.real.com/player/win/?
Regards
John.

Sandy

Ruby at Paladium

Post by Sandy »

What a lovely bit of video. Hadn't seen that one.
For those of you wanting to convert the flv file - I use two bits of free software. I download the file from Youtube to Replay AV8 and save to file. Then I open Prism video converter and import the saved file and convert it to .mpg which I can show on my pc on Cyberlink program or burn to CD to watch on my DVD player. It is a bit more complicated than that but am in a hurry (Am being nurse at the moment) so I will leave you with it and try to get back to the site again soon.
Best wishes all
Sandy

Bernie Burgess

A Welcome Posting

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Sandy,

I am so pleased to see your name pop up with a message. Thank you for the information concerning the video clip, it is a very pleasant piece isn't it?

Sorry to hear that you are having to act as nurse, I hope that it isn't too much of a strain on you.

I wonder what happened to Ronnie Harris (The Story of Tina). The Jones Boys did a Sunday night big band concert at the Trocadero (?) Elephant & Castle in the mid 50s with him on the bill. The big band was either Jack Parnell, Kenny Mackintosh or Ronnie Aldridge and the Squadronaires. I believe he went to the States shortly after those concerts but nothing was ever heard about him after that. In those days Gordon Langhorne was playing trombone in the Mackintosh band but he changed his name to Don Lang and had quite a few hits with songs like The Purple People Eater.

That was a worthless string of nothing information but somebody just might remember some of it.

Kindest regards to everyone.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

It seems that these video clips are being placed by someone who is known as StepheninLondon..........There are 25 clips relating to artists that I think we would all relate to and it's nice to see that a further clip of Rubys has now been added from the film "A Touch Of The Sun.

StepheninLondon if you are out there and look in on the Ruby website I would like to thank you for all your efforts and can assure you that you have given me great pleasure from the clips that you have posted.

Thank You
Graham

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi, Graham, I have been in touch with Stephen over the last couple of weeks, and he is looking up a tape he has of Ruby at the palladium which is better quality than the one on Youtube. He will get back to me when it is sorted, hopefully I will be able to put it the site so members can download it. He will probably send it me by email rather than put it on youtube, so it won't have the flv file. Will keep you all posted whenever I receive the video.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John,

I don't think the promised clip will be from the Palladium because there was no facility for recording in those days, television was all 'live'. I just hope that I can be proved to be wrong. It is so frustrating that there is no record of Ruby's early television appearances, the only still shots that I have were taken in the studio whilst Ruby was involved in the 'Quite Contrary' series.

Interestingly, there exists a studio shot, that someone must have a copy of, taken from an appearance of The Jones Boys and Ruby in an ATV relevision production. I have a poor quality copy of this action shot which I think came out as a photo card series. It's a very good action shot and I guess that copies must still exist in some studio files somewhere - but where? A.T.V. disappeared years ago.

Can someone surprise me and produce a copy of this shot I wonder?

Kindest regards to everyone.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.