'Teasers' Result.

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

'Teasers' Result.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Well, perhaps I made it too difficult. I realise that setting 20 questions is one thing, searching for the answers is another. In my defence, I should point out that because it was linked to many anniversaries I wanted to make it very special. My apologes to all those 'friends' that had to do a great deal of head scratching.

The person who came up with 3 quarters of the answers was Graham (Bunn) with 15 correct answers. Gerald, who really couldn't really spare the time to complete his answers, came in a close 2nd. Well done to both of you.

Graham, I will see you at play time and hand over your bag of 'Goodies'

Kindest regards to everyone.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

rbl.ca

Teaser

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi, Bernie (and everyone).

I apologize for not getting my answers in to you. I spent the Easter weekend in Ottawa, and now I'm getting ready to go to Vancouver.

I copied your '20 Questions' and printed them so I could look at them whenever I wasn't busy. I had written 6 answers from memory, and got 5 correct. Most of the phrases in your questions were very familiar to me, but I just couldn't pick out which song they were from, and didn't have the time to listen to them all.

The one answer I got wrong was #2. I had chosen "How Can You Buy Killarney?". I think it perfectly satisfies your question, and that anybody who chose it should have their score marked up.

Well done.
Regards. Ralph

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Bernie,

There was a lot head scratching......Could you please list the answers then we will know where we went wrong.

Take Care
Graham

Bernie Burgess

post subject,

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham,

They are all typed in with each question - on page 6 of the plaque posting

Regards. Adios Anigo, Bernie

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Bernie,Ralph,

Thanks for putting me right with the answers.......Gosh Bernie some of them were hard......I guess I was looking for the answers in the actual songs.........Whose Al Jolson,Grace Kelly,Jo Stafford and Paul Weston( only kidding) I had a lot of fun trying to work out the answers.

Best Wishes
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Good Quiz, Bernie, better than the one at our local pub! And Well Done, Graham, I agree it was one of the harder teasers.

I daresay I risk being sent to the headmaster, but is it in order to make an appeal? (I am only copying Ralph, who has a valid point about number 2!!)

Two of my answers have been ruled incorrect. The first is Number 10 and the connection with Royalty. I, like Graham, concentrated on the words of the song, and in my answer, "Johnny Gray" Ruby sings "...and sure Father Dunn will think I'm a Queen, in my dress so fine and gay". That is a pretty loose connection with Royalty, wouldn't you think?

The second one is - 15. With which of Ruby's songs is a man and his wife closely involved? My answer was "50 Years Ago" in which Ruby sings about the Golden Wedding Anniversary of a "fine old couple named McGee". You can't get much closer than 50 years of marriage!

I rest my case, and appeal to your mercy in the event that you rule against me, Bernie.
Gerald

rbl.ca

Appeals

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi, Bernie and Gerald.

As I said earlier, I support Gerald's appeal about "How Can You Buy Killarney?".
I also support his appeal on "Johnny Gray". I had pencilled in this song as my 7th answer, but couldn't be sure. Now that Gerald has confirmed my tentative choice, I have to support his appeal.

C'mon Bernie, you have to give credit where it is due.
Cheers. Ralph

P.S. Just trying to give you a hard time, Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post suject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello 'friends'

As I have said somewhere previously, there is ALWAYS the likelihood of the clues possibly matching other songs, but it doesn't detract from the answer.
Regarding No.15 - 'True Love' - The question was worded very deliberately i.e. 'With which song......' - not- 'In which.... and it doesn't refer to anything being in the lyric.. Graham, you must remember 'True Love' by Jo Stafford and Paul Weston, despite being the young man that you are???? (Incidentally, did anyone know that she had perfect pitch and at a recording the musicians could 'tune up' to her.)

The Royalty one - Princess Grace is/was royalty, she made the song a hit so there is a "loose connection' with Royalty. However, although the referee's decision is final, I will bow to enormous pressure, just a little, and grant those who found Royalty somewhere else, an additional point. That will make both Gerald and Ralph happy, - o.k. fellas? It will not effect the result though. Incidentally, disputing the 'Ref's' decision usually results in a red card, I will let you both off with a caution.

Seriously, It is good that the 'Teaser' has caused a stir and created activity, movement and discussion, that is what it was intended to do. In the meantime the Plaque posting viewing figures have gone past 30,000 now.

P.S. When I listened to Ruby's vocal performance of 'Through the Eyes of a Child' I think she gave a wonderful rendition, so breathy and full of feeling, I had 'tears on my cheek'and a lump in my throat, (not a stone in my heart though.)

My very best wishes to everyone.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.