Forum software change

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Timmer
Site Admin

Forum software change

Post by Timmer »

Hi Ruby fans!!

Our forum software has been updated today. This was necessary to give new members the ability to open their own accounts. No longer will they have to wait on me.

This was a big change. Technically, we're running the same software as before, just a later version. So some things may look and feel different for a while. I apologize for any discomfort this may cause.

Also, there are bound to be a few minor problems here and there as a result of the software change. If you find any, kindly post them to this topic. I will make a point of checking back from time to time to see what might need fixing.

I've neglected the site for a little while and I apologize for that. Hopefully this new update will get things back on track.

Time to listen to some Ruby Murray Christmas songs. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

--Tim

Jk

Re: Forum software change

Post by Jk »

Hi Tim, Like the new look of the website, it is nice and bright, I always thought the old site was a bit on the dull side and needed brighting up. Just one thing I can't seem to find a button to go back to the Ruby home page, I use www.rubymurray.org/forum. for my home page, but often like to have a look if any changes on the home page have been made, so I use the home button often, is it possible to have this put back?
By the way I have chose the green colour for the site, quite nice.
Thanks for your time in keeping us up date. :)
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello Tim, good to see you are back with us! :D And you do seem to have been busy. It seems to have brought a new freshness to the Forum, and next time I change the Home Page, I will start calling it Forum, rather than just Messages.
Thank you very much for your hard work.
Gerald

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Timmer wrote:This was necessary to give new members the ability to open their own accounts. No longer will they have to wait on me.
This was the primary reason for the change. Now people can sign up on their own without having to wait on me to do anything. We should start seeing new members quite soon!

Teddy O'Neil

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

As a newcomer to the Ruby Murray website I would like to convey many congratulations to the administrator of the site and all the contributors who have compiled a wealth of information, pictures and videos covering all aspects of Ruby's life and career. It is truly amazing.
I have been a fan of Ruby since her glory days of 1955. When I was a young boy (late 1940's and early 1950's) I used to play records on my aunt's phonograph. One of my favourites was an old 78 by an Irish close harmony group 'The Four Ramblers' singing "Christmas in Killarney". Around 1959/1960 I wrote to Ruby (can't remember where she was appearing) telling her how much I enjoyed her recordings and suggested she looked at "Christmas in Killarney" (as recorded by the Four Ramblers) as a possible 'B' side to her next record. I heard no more about it, but shortly after this Ruby brought out a new album of Irish songs (Irish and Proud of it) and I was amazed to find it contained 2 Christmas songs "Christmas time in Ireland " and "Christmas in Killarney"! I never did find out if the latter was included on my recommendation but I like to think that it was.
I have just recently read Bernie Burgess' book "Ruby-my precious gem' and found it an absorbing read - but what a sad ending to a wonderful life. In the book there is a foreword by Val Doonican who refers to his time as a member of the Four Ramblers! I know that Ruby appeared in different shows with Val Doonican but I wonder if they ever sang "Christmas in Killarney" together.
I enjoyed the Christmas songs on the home page. I like to think of 'Christmas in Killarney' as MY song, but my favourite is still the beautifully sung "Very First Christmas of all". Merry Christmas everyone.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Teddy O'Neil, first may I welcome you to this great site of ours, I am so glad you have posted a message, and telling us your story. I have no doubt you will be hearing from Bernie, he will be so pleased you have read is book, "That's five he 's sold now" only kidding Bernie.
What is your real name, or would you like us to refer to you has Teddy?
Reading your message it looks like you have had a good look round the site already, but if there is anything you wish to know or get stuck with anything do not hesitate to get in touch with us, we are all willing to help each other.
By the way my favourite Christmas song is also "The Very First Christmas Of All"
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Well! it's all happening on the 'new look' Ruby Murray website, and what a flurry of postings from the regular core of staunch fans/friends. May I also congratulate Timmer on his superb work. Personally I am still a bit of a 'rabbit' when it comes to computers so It will no doubt take me a while to find my way around but I'll get there in the end.

The postings in response to the change were very swift off the mark and I found them very interesting too. I'd like to join John K in welcoming the very interesting new member to whom I will respond seperately.

May I take this opportunity to state the obvious, - we all have a great deal to thank 'Timmer' for, - my personal thanks again 'Timmer'.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Welcome to Teddy O'Neil

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello to Teddy O'Neil,

Welcome to the Ruby Murray Website, I do hope that you will enjoy all that the site has to offer by way in interest, there is plenty to read, plenty of photos, song samples and other data. Collectively we are all very proud of what we have achieved and in my humble opinion, rightly so. You will find that help is at hand should you have any questions that you would like answers to so please don't hesitate to ask. Amongst the very staunch fans there is a whole set of encyclopedias containing a wealth of knowledge about Ruby, her recordings and her history in the world of showbusiness.

Thank you for your praise, it is always very welcome to receive comments such as yours. I noted what you mentioned about Val Doonican and The Four Ramblers. When we, The Jones Boys, first started as a group we met up with The Ramblers when they played in Barnsley, but even before then I had met them when I was a member of the staff at The New Theatre in Northampton in the very early 50s. The resident electrician at the theatre had designed and built an electronic keyboard which fascinated the visiting Ramblers and a trio called The 3 Imps, who were in the same show and whose line-up included a keyboard player. The keyboard player played the new electronic key board, another member of The Imps played his drums and Val played along with his guitar, quite a 'jam' session it was too.- As The 4 Ramblers, they appeared on a variety bill that Ruby topped and from then on Ruby and Val became great friends.

Regarding 'Christmas in Killarney', your recommendation perhaps WAS noted and may well have resulted in the song being included on an Irish album which Ruby would have a say in the compiling. It would be doubtful that the A & R man would have included the song on a 'single'. Their general feelings about a Christmas song is the fact that it has a short life, namely Christmas time, after that it becomes a little bit like yesterday's newpapers.

Thank you for your comment about the book, of course John K was entirely wrong about your copy becoming the 5th sale, it was in fact the 6th. - his copy was the 5th. Sorry about the very sad ending, I had to write it as it was, but I hope that I included plenty of humour to compensate, Ruby had such a wonderful sense of humour and it was frequently on display. In all honesty, I didn't have sales in mind when I wrote it, I had to put to right some of the many injustices that both Ruby and I suffered along the way and after I had completed the book it felt as though a load had been lifted from my shoulders.

As for the website as a whole, as one of the fans/friends once wrote, I am sure that Ruby is looking down on the scene with a beautiful smile of great satisfaction and pride, and justifiably so.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Teddy O'Neil

Re: Teddy O'Neil

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Thanks to John K and Bernie Burgess for their warm welcome to the site.
I would prefer you to just call me Ted (to protect the innocent!)
I have the recording of Teddy O'Neil on a 4 track EP but hadn't heard it in years. I recently bought the Golden Anthology collection and it includes a live version of the song. When I first heard it my eyes filled up with tears (How sad is that?) - Ruby's singing was so sincere and full of pathos.
Does anyone know when and where the live tracks on this CD were recorded?

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Ted, the song Teddy O'Neil was at Recorded At The Marion Hall, Dublin with Brendan O'Dowda, and The Dublin Light Orchestra, with the Guest Conductor: Norrie Paramor.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi friends,

Hi Timmer,

Long time no see. We have missed you! Well done on the new look website, it looks very good so thank you. I am still finding my way round at the moment but I am sure I wil soon get used to it.

Hi Teddy O'Neil,

Welcome to the Ruby website. If there is anything you need, don't hesitate to shout. I hope you enjoy it as we all do and we are all nice people too - honest! Looking forward to your contributions.

Best wishes

Martin

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Update: I've been forced to disable new user registration again. The "bad people" out there are flooding this site (and some others that I run) with fake registrations and it is causing a lot of problems for me. I'll try to figure out a solution to this in the near future.

--Timmer

Jk

Post by Jk »

Thanks for letting us Tim. What a pity we have had four new members recently, two have made a posting and seem quite interested in the site. I always send emails to new members, but do get suspicious when they don't reply or make a posting. Hope you can find a solution soon, thanks for keeping your eye on things for us all, we do appreciate it.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Timmer wrote:Update: I've been forced to disable new user registration again. The "bad people" out there are flooding this site (and some others that I run) with fake registrations and it is causing a lot of problems for me. I'll try to figure out a solution to this in the near future.

--Timmer
It is a real pity that bad people do this, because perhaps the reason we have had a few new members is that they have been able to register themselves, rather than e-mail a complete stranger who helps them to register. I see that now in fact, there does not appear to be any way of registering in order to make posts. If so, then let me express my regrets to anybody who wishes to join us and say that I hope Timmer is able to come up with a solution which does not give him all the hassle that he has previously had to endure on behalf of genuine Ruby Murray fans everywhere.

I have added some extra information on the News Page, in case visitors see that page first.

Thanks again, Tim, for everything you do for this marvellous website.
Gerald

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

I agree. The new member situation is heartbreaking. I will be making a change in a few minutes that will again allow members to self-register. One of those spam prevention tools where you have to entered fuzzy words will be used to try to control spam. The tool also has an audio component for the sight impaired. I've tried it on my main web site and it has been remarkably effective so far.