Edna Savage

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Teddy O'Neil

Edna Savage

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Anyone remember Edna Savage? I have vague recollections of her singing on radio and TV in the 1950's but cannot remember any of her songs.
Interestingly, on the 'web', someone has described her as "the poor man's Ruby Murray."

One of my favourite Ruby songs has always been ' You are my first love' which featured in the film 'Its' great to be young'. Does anyone know if this film is availavle on DVD? I don't remember it ever having been shown on TV.

Ruby's singing is only featured on the opening title or closing credits of the film. I seem to recall that the female lead in the film sings the song but as Ruby's voice was too well known at the time her voice was dubbed in the film by Edna Savage!

Cheers, Ted :roll:

Graham Bunn

Re: Edna Savage

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Ted,

If you go back on the message page you will find an article that I did on the film "It's Great To Be Young"I hope that you will find it of interest.
Ted I think we may be on thin ice when we describe Edna Savage as the Poor Mans Ruby Murray.......This has previously been posted by a friend of mine on another website and Edna does have a daughter who takes great exception to this reference so I think we should say we feel that there is some likeness with the voice quality but that Edna was a good singer in her own right.

Take Care
Graham

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Ted,

Hi friends,

Not sure if that film is available on DVD but I have seen it on TV twice (Channel 4) and Ruby sings the first part of the song 'You are my first love' in the opening credits. You could try ebay or Amazon as they are good for dvds.

Graham is right in that Edna was a very good singer in her own right. There is a CD of Edna available which I think can be obtained from Vocalian online and there is also a tribute website. Edna recorded a version of 'Evermore' at the same time as Ruby but of course we all know the story of Ruby's amazing feat in the charts at that time. I am sure Bernie will be able to tell you much more.

Bye for now.

Martin :-)

Teddy O'Neil

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Thanks to Graham and Martin for the information.

Graham, I appreciate you directing me to your previous posting on "Its great to be young." I hadn't noticed it before.

Regards,
Ted