Harry Hammond 1920-2008

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Brian Henson

Harry Hammond 1920-2008

Post by Brian Henson »

The death has just been reported of Harry Hammond, sometimes known as 'The Father of Pop Photography'. In recent years his collection, taken thoughout the 1950s and well into the 1960s, has been in the care of the Victoria & Albert Museum. He may not be a familiar named to many, but readers of the New Musical Express regularly enjoyed examples of his work during those years. I've spent long afternoons browsing through the collection at the V&A, and can report that there are many photographs of Ruby. Three books of Harry's photographs have been published. 'Hit Parade' and 'Pop People' (both in 1984) and just last year 'Halfway To Paradise', which the V&A themselves have published. Ruby can be seen in each of these books - and I have just uploaded the photograph from this latest book to the library. Some 350 or more of Harry Hammond's photographs can also be seen in the V&A website, and you should be able to go directly to it via this link: http://www.vandaimages.com/results.asp? ... d&X8=12-18

Brian

Graham Bunn

Re: Harry Hammond 1920-2008

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hello Brian,
Thank you so much for this posting.......Harry Hammond is well known to me and I have enjoyed his photographs of the stars for many years........A singing star could have a bad time in his or her recording career but if Harry Hammond issued a set of photographs relating to that star it could boost the career again.

It also goes to proove how wonderful the old black and white photographs were and it was wonderful to go back and look at a period when stars were stars through the link that you have provided.
I think we will have to wait a long time before we see the likes of Harry Hammond again he gave so much pleasure through his photography.

Once again thanks for this posting Brian another little bit of pop history gone from us.

Take care
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you Brian for this link. I have just spent many minutes thumbing through the V and A photographs - amazing quality, Harry Hammond certainly knew how to photograph pop stars. I don't know if it is just me, but I can't look at pictures like this without immediately re-living my teenage childhood, which of course like many of Ruby fans took place during the 50s. Such a pity that the likes of TV choose to ignore this period in time.
RIP Harry Hammond.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

As usual, young(?)Brian is an encyclopedia of musical knowledge. I readily confess to the fact that although I was with Ruby so many times when she was being photographed I seldom got to know the names of the actual photogaphers, Harry Hammond happens to be one of them. However, the moment I get the chance I will browse through his work via the link that Brian posted, it will give me great pleasure I'm sure.

A question for you Brian, which famous reporter wrote that he had been 'bumper' car riding in Regent's Park with Ruby Murrray?

Very best wishes. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I can't answer your 'teaser', Bernie - and wouldn't even have known there was ever a Fairground in Regents Park.

Incidentally, did Ruby drive a car herself? I know we have that pic of her posing by a car in the EMI box set, but I don't recall seeing her behind the wheel.

Brian