Glen Mason

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Brian Henson

Glen Mason

Post by Brian Henson »

A couple of weeks ago I posted to the Library a photograph of Ruby with Parlophone vocalist, Glen Mason. I'm sure a lot of you will remember Glen as he was recording and appearing on TV regularly during the 1950s. No doubt Ruby and Glen met on a number of occasions - not least on the ITV's long running Jack Jackson Show, where Glen was resident for several years.

Glen, now 78, is residing in a Surrey care home, but apparently in good spririts and helping with a forthcoming CD of what is hoped will be his complete recordings - not just of Parlophone, but also Philips and Polydor. A website has been set up recently and I've supplied scans of several photos, publicity booklet covers and magazine articles, including the photograph with Ruby which has now been uploaded to Glen's website. http://www.glenmason.co.uk/ There are also links to some nice video clips which can be viewed via 'youtube', as well as soundbites of many of his records.

Good voice - Glen's CD will certainly be on my shopping list when it's released.

Brian

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Glen Mason

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thanks, Brian, I hadn't realised you have been busy during the last couple of weeks putting some new material into the Library. Your title for the Ruby and Bernie picture had me fooled, though :D I was expecting something to do with the film.
I can't say I remember Glen Mason, but I will take a look around his website and see if that stimulates the old brain cells.
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your interesting posting on Glen Mason..........I remember the Jack Jackson T.V Show,it was always on quite late at night and I had a problem with my parents who were not keen on me stopping up to view........It was always done in a very light hearted way and Glen did promote his recordings as well as being a regular on the programme........If I remember rightly he was joined by Joan Savage who also made records and was very popular as a singer on Radio 2 and the comedy was supplied by Paddie O'neil the wife of Alfred Marks.
I think Glen was also a pal of Ronnie Carrolls........I'm pleased to hear the he is still keeping well and like you will be looking forward to the release of his C.D

Take Care
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Graham has a good memory, he is right on all the artistes he mentioned. The Jones Boys did several guest appearances on the Jack Jackson Show. It was produced in a tiny little studio in Foley Street. which became the studio's name and the production staff performed miracles considering the tiny space in which they had to work.
I remember Glen very well, he was one of a whole gang of artistes who used to frequent Denmark Street (The Alley). Amongst them was Glen himself, Ronnie Carroll. Johnnie Gordon (from Peter Maurice Music - later to become K.P.M, Keith Prouse/Peter Maurice Music and even later to become part of E.M.I Music) and Ian Ralfini of Bourne Music. Another member of the 'gang' was of course Sean Connery, who is a Scot like Glen, they were great pals. There was a story, which is most likely true, that the flat that Ronnie and Glen shared, became empty of furniture, possibly down to the fact that Ronnie was a compulsive gambler, which is no sercret, and a friend called to see Ronnie and he was sitting cross legged in the middle of the floor of the empty room eating fish and chips out of the paper watching television, the only piece of furniture in the flat.

Ronnie Cleghorne, Ronnie's real name, was at one time linked, by the press, with Ruby. We worked with Ronnie Carroll when he was in a touring revue called 'Hollywood Doubles' He used to do a Nat 'King' Cole take off. A double act in that show - 'Dump' Harris and Stan did a take off of Laurel & Hardy. Another man in the same show was a double of General Montgomery, he actual did do a secret 'stand in' for the General on more than one occasion.

I am amazed that Graham remembered those artistes. Alfred Marks (Paddy's husband) did several guest appearances on the programme, so too did Ken Morris (Joan Savage's husband).

Those were the days my friend(s)

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Thanks for your interesting background info on the Jack Jackson Show, Bernie. It was a favourite show of mine (and most teenagers of the time). The programme was invariaby a topic of conversation at work on the Monday following Sunday's show.

One regular name you didn't mention was Libby Morris. A Canadian gal I believe, who I'm pretty sure pre-dated both Joan Savage and Paddy O'Neil in the comedy spots opposite Glen Mason. As you will remember, little sketches were contrived using clips from recordings such as Stan Freberg and The Goons - in much the same way that Jack Jackson did for many years on the radio, but with Glen and the various girls miming to the snippets of dialogue. All of which was slotted in between the musical guest spots. So far as I remember there were always 5 or 6 big names in each programme, singing their latest recording (well miming to the actual record I think). I can certainly remember Ruby appearing on the show ... a plug for 'Little White Lies' particularly sticks in my mind for some reason. Those were the days indeed, Bernie.

Like Glen Mason, the aforementioned Libby Morris, made a number of recordings herself - and was still in powerful voice at a concert with the BBC Concert Orchestra in the late-1990s singing some of the big showstoppers from 'Gypsy'.

One of the 1950s magazines I still have includes a feature on Glen Mason and Ronnie Carroll and the flat they shared (the article cornily headlined 'Harmony In a Flat'). Apparently the crooning twosome lived a pretty wild life - seldom short of female company - and the goings-on would probably make our hair curl.

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

To 'erwinzeez'.

I think my friend you are on the wrong website. The Glen Mason referred to on this Message Board was a recording artiste and show business personality in the 50s and 60s. He most certainly wasn't an American football coach. I wish that I could point you in the right direction but sadly I can't.

We wish you well. Kindest regards. Bernie.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Mr erwinzeez should have read my original message, which gave a direct link to the British Glen Mason's website. But here it is again http://www.glenmason.co.uk/ I've never head of your football coach Sir, but I hope you enjoy learning about our Glen Mason and his great Recording and TV career now that you can visit his website.

Brian