Ruby's "The Spinning Wheel" LP (Fontana Special)

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
rbl.ca

Ruby's "The Spinning Wheel" LP (Fontana Special)

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi, everybody.
I have "The Spinning Wheel", but have often wished that I could digitize some of the songs on it, especially "Come Back, Paddy Reilly" and "If We Only Had Old Ireland Over Here". I have the software, and have digitized several old cassette tapes, but my phonograph does not have ports for the necessary cables.

So I'm asking that somebody convert these two songs and add long 'samples' of them to the library. I suppose I'm leaning on Gerald, as we all seem to do when such things are requested.

Many thanks.
Ralph

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Ruby's "The Spinning Wheel" LP (Fontana Special)

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello Ralph. I will be happy to oblige on this - I may even have them already on my computer somewhere because well before the Anthology set and the President set came out, I attempted to get a CD version of every one of Ruby's recordings.
However, I am up to my eyes at the moment. I have a lot on, music-wise with my flute playing, and I am also having to recover from a serious fire in one of our bedrooms. We are all safe, and so is my Ruby collection, but as you can imagine there is a lot of cleaning up, repair and redecoration to take place. Fortunately this is all covered by insurance but is means an almost endless procession of people visiting the house just at the moment.
Thanks for you patience.
Gerald

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Ralph - both of the tracks you mention were included on a 20xtrack UK Philips CD, 'When Irish Eyes Are Smiling'. When I checked my copy just now I was surprised to note that it was issued as long ago as 1993, so will be long deleted by now. It's worth checking Amazon or e-bay from time to time, however. You never know if a copy might turn up.

Gerald - I was shocked to read of your fire, particularly as another friend has suffereed a similar experience this month. In his case, the fire was also contained in his bedroom thanks to neighbours calling the fire brigade, but he was overcome and is in a serious condition from burns and smoke inhalation - not to mention the loss of documents and film that he would have treasured. Since learning about his awful circumstances, I've equipped myself with a couple of small fire extinquishers that are available from B&Q stores. It's good to know that you are both safe, but it must still have been a frightening thing to deal with.

Brian

rbl.ca

Post by rbl.ca »

Thanks, Brian.
I'll try to find that CD.
Ralph