Pandora.com

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Timmer
Site Admin

Pandora.com

Post by Timmer »

http://www.pandora.com

If you haven't tried this free web site yet, you might be in for a treat.

Pandora is a web-based service that plays free streaming music. I use it every day at work as my "radio station."

The way Pandora works is you start by entering an artist or song that you like. The service then plays songs by that artist and/or other songs that are similar. You then fine tune the station by giving each song a thumbs up or a thumbs down. Over time you end up with a radio station tailored to your particular preferences.

The service is free, but I think you have to register for the ability to create your own stations.

I've been enjoying Pandora for years, but this morning I made a wonderful discovery: They have Ruby Murray in their artist database! I quickly made a station based on Ruby Murray and the first song they played was "Let Me Go Lover." They then played a song called "Who'll Be My Judge" by Joan Weber.

I'm really looking forward to hearing Ruby songs throughout the day and also see what similar songs Pandora comes up with.

If you try Pandora, please let me know what you think. I'm not really plugging their service and it doesn't put any money in my pocket. It's just a new fun way to enjoy Ruby's music.

:)

--Timmer

Jk

Re: Pandora.com

Post by Jk »

Hi Tim, thanks for letting us know about this site,unfortunately we in the UK cannot receive it. I have been on the site and this is what it says.

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.
Regards
John.

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Ouch. I failed to consider that. :(

For my Ruby Murray friends in the United States, please enjoy.

I'm on Pandora right now, I just heard Ruby sing, "Come Into My Heart."

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Timmer,

I am delighted to hear that Ruby's track of 'Come into my Heart' is being played. It was one of the previously unreleased recordings that I discovered amongst Ruby's possessions. It was in the form of an acetate. Very few people know about acetates so I should perhaps explain. In the days when Ruby was recording, a recording session lasted for 2 hours. In that time two tracks were completed 'A' side and 'B' side (these days ONE track can sometimes take about a year to complete and it also frequently travels from one country to another) After the session was completed, the artiste was usually given an acetate. This 'Pressing'' as they were referred to was only intended to be played a few times, after that the recording lost it's quality. I sent the acetate to Gerald and he cleaned it up with a programme that he has, the outcome was quite surprising.

When I made the approach to E.M.I. asking them to celebrate the fact that Ruby's world record of 5 hits in the top 20 at the same time was 50 years ago(at that time) to my delight and utter surprise, they readily agreed to release a boxed set of 3 C.D.s. I got together with two Ruby Murray experts - Gerald and Brian. They in turn pressurized me into twisting arms at E.M.I. to release 4 C.D.s instead of the proposed 3.This then enabled us to compile a list of 100 tracks to submit to E.M.I. In the meantime I discovered another unreleased track, namely 'Jimmy Unknown', this also went through Gerald's clean up procedure. We asked E.M.I to search through their archives for any other tracks that might be hidden and unreleased. They came up with 'If I Were a Blackbird' and Isle Of Innisfree'. Gerald and Brian beavered away on a list of 100 tracks and it was my task to get their hours of dedicated work accepted by E.M.I. We won the day and as a result the Golden Annivesary boxed set was released. Ruby's fans everywhere owe Gerald and Brian a great deal of thanks for their dedication, hardwork and knowledge of Ruby's recordings.

Naturally, to hear that 'Come Into my Heart' is being played and enjoyed gives me a great deal of satisfaction.

PHEW!!! - Adios Amigos.

rbl.ca

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi Timmer.

I just tried Pandora, only to find out that even here in Canada, it is not available. So much for Free Trade and all that.

Thanks. Ralph

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Wow. Not even Canada? Maybe by the time we have the amero - the proposed currency for the hypothetical North American Union. :)