Ballroom Sweethearts

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Teddy O'Neil

Ballroom Sweethearts

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Anyone see 'Ballroom Sweethearts ' last night on BBC2? This was a documentary about the ballrooms and dancehalls of Belfast in the 1950's and 60's, though it may have only been transmitted in Northern Ireland. It was interesting in that no less than 5 of Ruby's tracks were used as background music in the film:
You are my first love
Boy meets girl
Aint that a grand and glorious feeling
In my life
Goin' courtin'

I was just disappointed that they did not include the ultimate ballroom waltz -'Slowly with feeling'
Still, it was a lovely piece of nostlagia. More, BBC more!

Teddy O'Neil :)

Bernie Burgess

Re: Ballroom Sweethearts

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Teddy,

What a very pleasant surprise to hear so many of Ruby's tracks being 'aired'. I wish that I could have caught the programme. Your suggested choice of vocal tracks is most appropriate - 'I love to hear a song played Slowly with Feeling' especially when I'm dancing with you'. a beautiful song, sung beautifully. - I get so nostalgic listening to her singing, which I obviously do, - I miss her desperately.

Kindest regards, Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Ted, thank you for your posting, unfortunately I did not see the program, but with the great computer I manged to find it on the BBC IPLAYER.
So for all of you who would like to watch the program and listen our Ruby this is what you need to do.
First goto the BBC Home Page,www.bbc.co.uk then click on BBC IPLAYER in the search box type in Ballroom Sweethearts the program will then come up, click on it and sit back and enjoy.
Last edited by Jk on Fri May 01, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

FANTASTIC! - Well done John K. I will devote this afternoon to hopefully listening and enjoying the programme.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

OOOPPS!!! I am out of luck. I cannot get the programme, I'm not in the U.K. What a shame, I was looking forward to having a nostalgic afternoon listening to Ruby -

Kindest regards to everyone. Adios Amigos. Bernie,

rbl.ca

Post by rbl.ca »

Hello, John.
Sadly, this is not available in Canada either.

Ralph

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Well done Teddy in alerting us to this lovely piece of history. I have downloaded the file for later viewing, but I see that even in the UK we only have 7 days to watch it. Presumable it is then deleted from my hard drive, and perhaps a note is left to prevent me from downloading it again.
I am really sorry that Bernie and Ralph, and anyone else outside the UK cannot watch this. It is like Region coding for DVDs and it drives me mad! This programme was not broadcast on all BBC1 regions, so I was unable to make a normal broadcast recording of it. I have tried this morning to see if any of the video editing software that I have on my PC allows me to make a DVD copy, but once again I am sadly defeated.
If I come up with any other ideas, or if the BBC broadcast it again in our region I will do my best to make an off-air copy.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I don't want to raise anyone's hopes but at the back of my mind I remember an interchange of details with a man who was with a production company in Belfast and he later went To BBCTV in Belfast. He was originally involved in the stage play that was produced in Belfast, namely 'RUBY'. At the time he sympathized with me about the upset that the play caused me. When he was appointed to his position with BBC he contacted me to tell me that it was proposed that a radio version was going to be produced and ask me what changes I would like to see take place. He arranged for huge alterations and the play went out. Since that time he moved to a higher position within the BBC.
It just might be worth while making enquiries to see if he can do anything to help us.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

HI guys,

Hope you are all well. I have Realplayer Plus on my pc and this has allowed me to download the video of this programme to my pc. However, when I tried to burn it onto a DVD with the intention of sending it to Gerald to try and put on here it wouldnt let me do so. The message said that it could not do it as there was no video content! Very frustrating these computers!

Martin :-(

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

MARTIN FOSTER wrote:HI guys,

Hope you are all well. I have Realplayer Plus on my pc and this has allowed me to download the video of this programme to my pc. However, when I tried to burn it onto a DVD with the intention of sending it to Gerald to try and put on here it wouldnt let me do so. The message said that it could not do it as there was no video content! Very frustrating these computers!

Martin :-(
It is something called DRM - Digital Rights Management which the BBC have implemented. It allows them to control what you do with downloaded video content, aimed at preventing pirates from copying films. That is how the BBC can stop you making a copy of it, and also make it self-destruct after 7 days! :(
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Darn them!

Wonder if anybody has taped it?