Where is Ruby's plaque?

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Teddy O'Neil

Where is Ruby's plaque?

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

I called at the Ulster Hall, Belfast back in March to have a look at the renovated building. The concert hall dates from 1862 and has been restored to its former glory. It really is most impressive and a credit to all concerned, but where is Ruby's plaque? The commemorative plaque ("Ruby Murray, Belfast born singer performed here") was unveiled with great ceremony by the Lord Mayor in 2006 and occupied a prime position at the entrance to the building. I was concerned to discover that it was no longer there and asssumed that it had been taken down for safekeeping during the renovations and would be replaced shortly.
I called at the building again to-day and was surprised to find that over 2 months after the re-opening the plaque is still not in its position. I enquired from one of the Ulster Hall officials who told me that they still had the plaque ( and some other commemorative plaque) but the reinstatement of these plaques was the subject of discussion between Belfast City Council and the Heritage Fund who financed the refurbishment of the building.
I have written to the Belfast Telegraph journalist Eddie McIlwaine, who has written some affectionate articles on Ruby over the years, to see if he can find out why the plaque has not been replaced.
Perhaps Bernie could get in touch with his contacts in the City Council or the Ulster Hall who arranged the original installation of the plaque in 2006 and find out why the people of Belfast are being denied this precious little part of their heritage.

Regards, Teddy O'Neil

Bernie Burgess

Re: Where is Ruby's plaque?

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Teddy.

This really is disturbing news. I will certainly try to make contact with the authorities to find out what has happened to Ruby's plaque. If I can get in contact with the Lord Mayor who unveiled the plaque he would perhaps be the best person to provide answers. I am very grateful to you for making this discovery as I am sure everyone connected to the website will be equally grateful.

I will make my enquiries and report back when I get some answers.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Ruby's Plaque.

If my memeory serves me correctly, the Belfast City Council commissioned and paid for the plaque so it seems strange that they have allowed the Heritage Foundation to have sway over the citing of THEIR plaque, even though the Heritage Foundation were responsible for the renovation. I wonder if there is a conflict of intetrest here??? When I first made my attempts to get a plaque installed I was indirectly informed by the Heritage people that a recipient of a plaque had to have been deceased for 20 years to qualify for one of THEIR plaques, that is pricisely why the Council, via Councillor Wallace Brown, arranged for the Council themselves to commission and provide funds for a special plaque. The plot thickens?????

More later. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Go for it Bernie! We are all right behind you. Perhaps siting the plaque inside somewhere would be an acceptable alternative? It would mean the casual visitor would not see it, but I would rather that than have it put away in a cupboard somewhere.

Here is a copy of the e-mail which Bernie has sent to the Lord Mayor who unveiled the plaque in such a memorable way.

"Dear Sir,

I am appealing to you for news concerning the disappearance of the commemorative plaque to my ex wife - RUBY MURRAY- from the facia of The Ulster Hall. Local Belfast fans have enquired as to why the plaque has not been re-sited after the refurbishment and have been told that the plaque is still on site but there is some kind of debate about whether, or not, it should be re-sited. I am devastated by the thought that the honour that you bestowed upon Ruby should now be denied. Please contact me to reassure me that the matter will receive your attention and that everything will be resolved and the plaque will once again be proudly displayed for the world to see on the facia of The Ulster Hall.

My sincere best wishes,

Respectfully. - Bernie Burgess "

Bernie has asked me to put it here so that all fans are kept in the picture. Let's hope this prompts some action.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Teddy thanks for that information, I can't believe they have not put the plaque back, do you know if they have put the other back that was on the other side? I have sent an email to Belfast City Council to ask why it has not been put back, and will post any reply if I get one.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Good luck Bernie. Let us hope the plaque is soon reinstated to its rightful place of honour.

Best wishes to all.

Martin

Teddy O'Neil

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Well done John! As far as I am aware, another commemorative plaque (don't know whose name it carried) is also missing.
Perhaps if all the fans who browse this website were to complain to Belfast City Council, we would have Ruby's plaque restored promptly in a suitable location.
You can complain by sending an E-mail to

complaints@belfastcity.gov.uk

Or there is an on-line complaint form on the Ulster Hall website. This can be accesssed by logging on to

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/ulsterhall/index.aspx-33k

and then click on the "Complaints" box.

Cheers, Ted

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Could I suggest that complaints would have more strength if they all went to the one place, preferably the Belfast City Council. The Ulster Hall management are in the middle, between the City Council and The Heritage Fund (not Foundation as I mistakenly referred to them) therefore they are 'neutral' and presumably would have no say in the matter.
I have sent emails to Lord Belmont - the Lord Mayor who championed Ruby's claim and officially unveiled the plaque, in the hope that he will look ino the matter, and to a member of staff at the Council whom I negotiated the whole project with. As of this moment I have had no reply from either so I expect to hear at the beginning of next week. I have asked the same member of staff at the Council to let me have the up to date telephone number of Eddie McEwain, the reporter at The Belfast Telegraph, but I have a strong feeling that Eddie has retired and is no longer active. If this turns out to be the case I will contact The Belfast Telegraph's News Desk.

I am also waiting to hear from Steven Wright (Head of Development) at the BBC in Belfast, regarding what the chances are of being able to view the television programme that featured a number of Ruby's hit records - 'Ballroom Sweethearts' if I do not get a reply early next week I will ring his office direct. I have come up against this problem n the past and there is always a problem with copywright, so my expectations are low.

I will report back as soon as possible.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello all, I have had a reply from Belfast so read it below.

Dear John,
Thank you for your query received on 14 May, 2009. This matter is the responsibility of the Development Department.

I have forwarded your message to Noelle Boyle/Mary Cowan in that Department. A reply will be forwarded to you direct in due course.

Any further correspondence on this matter should be directed to boylen@belfastcity.gov.uk or cowanm@belfast cty. gov.uk.

Yours sincerely,
Geraldine White.

Geraldine White
Business Support Officer

Chief Executive's Department
Belfast City Council
Adelaide Exchange
24-26 Adelaide Street
Belfast
BT2 8GD

whiteg@belfastcity.gov.uk
DDI: 028 9027 0560
Tel: 028 9032 0202 extension 6018

www.belfastcity.gov.uk
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

In answer to my email, asking for assistance to get information as to why Ruby's plaque has not been replaced after the refurbishment of The Ulster Hall in city centre Belfast, I have received the following email from Wallace Browne, the ex Lord Mayor of Belfast who carried out he unvieling of the plaque.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Bernie,

Thank you for your emails. I would apologize for not replying sooner but I was in London most of last week. I can assure you that I will be contacting the relevant Officers regarding the restoration of Ruby’s plaque and will keep you informed of progress.

Hope you are keeping well.

Best regards

Lawrence .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. I will let everyone know exactly what transpires. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello again, I have had a futher update regarding the plaque.

Sent: 19 May 2009 16:29
To: j19_kendall@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: FW: Ruby Murray

Dear Mr Kendall, thank you for your e-mail. I am currently looking into this for you.

Many Thanks

Hama O'Reilly
Duty Officer
Belfast Waterfront & Ulster Hall
2 Lanyon Place, Belfast, BT1 3WH

Switchboard: 028 9033 4400 Ext. 1325
Direct Dial: 028 9033 4451
Fax No: 028 9024 9862

oreillyh@waterfront.co.uk
Save a tree...think before you print.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 18 May 2009 13:29
To: Hama O'Reilly
Subject: FW: Ruby Murray
Hi Hama

Another one about Ulster Hall.

Noelle
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

For the record. The ex Lord Mayor of Belfast - Councillor Wallace Browne has been given a 'Life Peerage' and has taken up his seat in the House Of Lords. His title is Baron Browne of Belmont. Nice to know that he is a Ruby Murray fan.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello, to you all. Well good news the plaque is back at the "Ulster Hall".

Dear John,

I am writing to you in response to your query relating to the Ruby Murray plaque at the Ulster Hall. I am pleased to say that the plaque has been returned to the walls of the Ulster Hall. It is positioned in the front foyer, right inside the main doors.

I hope that this will reassure all Ruby Murray fans out there, and again I offer our apologies for any upset the absence of the plaque has caused.

With best regards,

Róisín Whyte

Róisín Whyte
Education, Community and Outreach Officer
Ulster Hall
Bedford Street
Belfast
BT2 7FF
Tel 028 9033 4400 (ext. 1693)
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

Phew! Relief all round, whatever the reason was for their delay in re-siting the plaque I am pleased that those responsible have now taken action to remedy their hesitation. I know that Baron Browne of Belmont, the ex Lord Mayor of Belfast was pursuing the matter on our behalf but whatever caused the hesitation to end it is most welcome. Well done John K. your action contributed in no uncertain manner. It goes to prove that the Ruby Murray website AND it's very loyal members is now a force to be reckoned with. 3 Cheers everybody.

It may be possible that I might have some news from the BBC concerning the programme that was not accessable to fans outside of the U.K. -

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

In the last couple of minutes I have also had confirmation from within the Belfast Vity Council about the plaque being re-installed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Bernie,

I am writing to you in response to your query relating to the Ruby Murray plaque at the Ulster Hall. I am please to say that the plaque has been returned to the walls of the Ulster Hall. It is positioned in the front foyer, right inside the main doors.
I hope that this will reassure all the Ruby Murray fans out there, and again I offer our apologies for any upset the absence of the plaque has caused.

With best regards,

Róisín Whyte
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can now all breathe again, the anxiety is over.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Róisín Whyte

Education, Community and Outreach Officer

Ulster Hall

Bedford Street

Belfast

BT2 7FF

Tel 028 9033 4400 (ext. 1693)