Ruby's 54 year old record

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Jk

Re: Ruby's 54 year old record

Post by Jk »

Hi Gerald, I agree with everything you say in your posting.
I have just read this report on the BBC NEWS website, thought you all would like to read it, I have just took the part that interest us.

There has been a huge surge in demand for Jackson's albums and singles following his death more than a week ago.

He nearly doubled his presence in the singles chart after securing seven places in the top 40 last week.

As well as Man in the Mirror, tracks Billie Jean, Thriller, Smooth Criminal and Beat It, all featured in the top 20.

He now equals Belfast singer Ruby Murray's record for the most singles in the top 20 in the same week which was set back in March 1955.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John,

Sad news indeed, but inevitable I'm afraid. Today's generation are so very different to most of ours. They want to take part personally in the scene, reality T.V. bears that out. Look what happened to Jade, that was a typical example. even those who didn't really know much about her allowed themselves to be caught up in the hysteria. They lined the streets in their thousands and threw flowers, as they did for Princess Diana, it has become 'the thing to do'.

These days everyone considers themselves part of the action, to be actors, everyone wants a microphone in their hand to show the world that they can sing better than the star singers, hence the rapid growth in karaoke. and hence the demise of professional artistes. Sorry if that makes me sound a little bitter but it is the true situation. As far as Michael Jackson is concerned his hordes of fans consider that he is part of them and they are part of him, even if they were not committed fans before his untimely death, they feel the need to be part of the action that is taking place right now. If Jackson does take the record away from Ruby, and it hasn't happened as yet, it will be a bitter pill to swallow but I will unquestionable salute his achievement.

I emphasize that I do not wish to take anything away (as though I could???) from an extremely talented dancer/showman, I fully acknowledge his supreme entertaining ability.

I apologize if I have gone a little 'over the top' but I admit to feeling very saddened by the ocasion and I do think that Ruby deserved to hang on to her well deserved award, which was not acheived on a wave of hysteria.

Good luck to Michael Jackson

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

It seems I am going to have to change the Home Page wording to show that Ruby's record stood for 54 years before being equalled by Michael Jackson in the period immediately following his death. How does that sound to you?

The somewhat bizarre good news is that I am currently unable to access the Home Page in order to make such changes! :)

Timmer will be looking into the problem when he has a moment.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Gerald, I think that sounds great, we need to see what happens tomorrow night when the new charts come out, but I think it will start to fade away now, and hopefully we still have a share in it.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald.

I am of the belief that the record holder maintains the record as unbroken if another person only equals it. If someone can give me the email address of Guiness World Records I will first check to see if the record has been broken or if it has been equalled and if it has only been equalled, does Ruby's still maintain her world record?

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, I don't know if this will help you it is the only thing I have.

----- Original Message -----
To: John Kendall
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 5:57 PM
Subject: RE: Madonna
No she didn’t. Madonna only managed three.

Regards

David Roberts

Editor: Guinness World Records Book of BRITISH HIT SINGLES & ALBUMS

Telephone: 020 7891 4547

www.britishhitsingles.com
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,
With John's help I have sent the following email to Guiness World Records in the hope that the confusion can be sorted out:-
----- Original Message -----
To: editor@bibleofpop.com
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:09 PM
Subject: Ruby Murray - World Record Holder.

Dear Editor,
My ex wife, the late Ruby Murray, has been a world record holder since March 1955 by having 5 hit records in The Top Twenty at one and the same time. Currently, Michael Jackson has posthumously achieved several hit singles in the Top 40 and I am led to believe that he has now equalled Ruby's long standing record. I would like to have clarification on a few question marks that are confusing.
1. Firstly, if Michael Jackson has equalled Ruby's record of having 5 hit records in the Top Twenty at the same, albeit posthumously, does the record holder still maintain the title, despite the fact that it has been equalled? -

2. Which of the charts is used to establish this?

3. Does the fact that Michael Jackson's hits were achieved POSTHUMOUSLY, as opposed to Ruby's being achieved 'LIVE' have any bearing on the situation?

4. Due to the fact that there are numerous 'Charts' and they do not all have the same listing, which chart is recognized as being the official and authentic one?

5. I have been trying to clarify the current situation on behalf of the official Ruby Murray website i.e. http://www.rubymurray.org

I would be most grateful and appreciative if you could please give us your official comments.

Respectfully, Bernie Burgess (Ruby's ex husband).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOPEFULLY WE CAN GET OFFICIAL JUDGEMENT ON THE ENTIRE SITUATION;

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Guys & Girls, Has I said before I think it will all die down, well I was right Jackson has only got TWO in the top twenty this week, so I would think by now Our Ruby's record WILL NOT BE BROKEN.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

That's good news. Both the BBC Charts and Officialcharts are agreeing with you.

So I guess we have to admit that the record is now shared. I take your point Bernie about it not being broken, but I think we have to be generous enough to say that Ruby now shares the record with Michael Jackson.

What do other people feel on this point? Please let us have your views if you are a posting member of this website. (I don't think it is currenly possible for new members to join, that could be associated with the other problem which Timmer is looking into.)
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald and John,

I am somewhat confused, in John's posting he says that Michael Jackson only has 2 hits in the Top Twenty and that in his opinion Ruby's record stands (Hopefully) Gerald, - you say that the record is now shared??? I think we had best wait to hear from Guinness World Records to see what they tell us..... if they come back to me that is!

I am hopeful that other members will respond to Gerald's request for their comments ........... Join the debate friends and post your comments.

Adios Amigos. Bernie,

Jk

Post by Jk »

What i am saying Bernie is that last night "Sunday" the new weekly charts are released, and M.J had only two songs in this week, and one of them was at No 20. So I can't see him now having anymore singles in the top twenty, because they are all going for his albums. So, Ruby record will not now be broken, but I agree with Gerald that we must admit that M.J has only equalled Ruby's record. When the new "Home Page" is revamped we need to say that Ruby had 5 singles in the charts in "One Week" and held that record for 54 years, and was only equalled by M.J on his death in 2009.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John.

I must be missing the point somewhere, - if you say that M.J. only had 2 hits in the charts, how can he have equalled Ruby's record?

Kindest regards. Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

He Had five in the charts Last week.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well. This is turning into a very exciting post and sad at the same time about Ruby's record being matched after 54 years. I agree with Bernie and Gerald's comments about today's culture and the hysteria re MJ and also Jade and Princess Diana. I find it amazing and very sad as though people actually really know these people. However, when Mother Teresa died some years ago nobody batted an eyelid and similarly with many others. Sorry if that is negative but I will leave my soapbox now! Anyway, Gerald can we make sure that when the website is amended we emphasize that although it has been equalled by M.J, it still has not been beaten? That is if it still counts due to Michael no longer being here, which I hope it turns out not to be the case. On the positive, at least it took a huge international artist like M.J. to equal Ruby's feat. (I am not a fan of M.J. by the way)

Regards.

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

J.K. has informed me that I may have to wait quite a while to get a reply from Guinness World Records, he had to wait a very long time to get an answer in connection with his Madonna question. Seeing as Gerald is having to wait to hear back from Timmer, perhaps my reply will come in time for Gerald to do his editing but in any case it's worth waiting to hear their official 'ruling'.

To clarify my remarks about equalling a record. I may be wrong but I think that whatever record is created in the Guinness book of Records, if the record is only equalled - the holder still maintains the world record, whether that record is running a mile, the high jump, = whatever. I hope that I won't be considered being ungracious to M.j. it's me being super protective of Ruby's world record. If I am wrong I will graciously concede and add my congratulations to M.J.
Adios Amigos. Bernie.