Ruby's 54 year old record

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Teddy O'Neil

Re: Ruby's 54 year old record

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Hi all,

Well the King of Pop couldn't do it! Ruby's record remains unbroken, as MJ only had 2 entries in this weeks Top Twenty. (No 3 and No 20).
I agree with Bernie that Michael Jacksons posthumous 5 entries in the Top Twenty cannot be fairly compared with Ruby's 5 simultanoeus hits which were all new releases at the time. Ruby's achievement was all the more remarkable as it happened in the pre-rock n roll era, years before the first broadcast of Tv's Top of the Pops and in the days before 'downloads' - and all before her 20th birthday. ( I wonder how many of the latter day Michael Jackson fans actually went out and bought a disc or simply pushed a button on their computor.)
I think that the official RM website can still boast that Ruby set the record of having 5 simulataneous hits in the Top Twenty and it remains unbroken to this day even in spite of sudden upsurge in sales of re-released records following the deaths of such icons as Elvis Presley, John Lennon or Michael Jackson ( who just managed to equal Ruby's record)
Ruby was a one-off, completely original, unique and inimitable and none of todays stars come close.
I am sure she is looking down on us with an enigmatic smile to see that we are still talking about her unique achievement some 54 years after the event.

Ted O'Neil

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Well said, Teddy :)
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Teddy,

I still eagerly await a reply from Guinness World Records, but I will send another reminder to say that a huge debate is taking place on the Ruby Murray website and collectively we holding our breath hoping that Ruby, the holder of the world record still holds the title as it has only been equalled - NOT BROKEN'

I repeat, - irrespective of what the record is for, I think the official ruling is that the holder still maintains the titlle if the record is not broken.

I compliment you Teddy, you appear to be as firmly behind Ruby and her world record as I am, (It is obvious from these postings that we are not alone) and like me you are not anxious to concede ground until we know the official ruling. - Bravo!

Adios Amigo. Bernie

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Here is a copy of another email that I have sent to Guinness World Records: -
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

There is a huge debate taking place on The Official Ruby Murray Website about the current situation regarding Ruby Murray's World Record of 5 hit records in the TOP TWENTY all at the same time. We are all eagerly awaiting your response to our enquiry. i.e.

If a world record is created, does the record holder still hold the world record if it is only equalled???

Bernie Burgess, - on behalf of http://www.rubymurray.org

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sincerely hope that this time we will get the response that we are all waiting for. ADIOS AMIGOS - BERNIE

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

When oh when will they reply!!!!!!????!!!!!!

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends

I followed up my emails to Guinness World Records by telephoning their offices. It appears that there are differnt departments with different email adresses and it's a classic case of -- the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. The department that I spoke to on the telephone knew nothing at all about the emails that I sent. When I told them where I sent my emails to the reply was "That is not us". I had to tell them/her who Ruby Murray was, what record she holds, what were the songs that she had in the Top Twenty, only to be told that they couldn't find out anything about her - This is the Guinness World Records that I am talking about. In the end I reccommended that the young lady 'logs on' to http://www.rubymurray.org and take a look at the 'Home Page' where she would find all the information that she required to find out what the record was for???????

I sent her department an email asking the same questions, perhaps one of the offices will eventually respond - Hopefully.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

How pathetic they are Bernie!

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Martin,

Well!!!!..... John did warn me that it took about a month for them to reply to his enquiry regarding Madonna's 3 Top Twenty hits. I am not going to let up though, I intend to telephone their offices again tomorrow. I just hope that I don't connect with the same girl who had no idea who I was referring to and what her hits were and still couldn't find any trace of Ruby. One would think that after 3 emails and a telephone call someone would have picked up on it???

The same applies to The Official Charts.com, No-one has come back to me from their offices either, I think a call to them might be on the cards too. I could show my anger and disgust but in this day and age it is likely to antagonise rather than prompt action.

I will report back again in a few days.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I have spoken to 'Phil' at The Official Charts.com and after a lenghty discussion he told me that seeing as the world record was not BROKEN then technically Ruby still holds the world record even though it is 'shared'. I repeated the question - "Is Ruby still the world record holder?" his answer was "Even though it was equalled and consequently shared Ruby is still technically the world record holder - I have no problem with that" he said.

Now then Gerald, as far as the wording on the website goes, what do you reckon we should do??? First though we should wait for the views of - Guinness World Records to come back to me, they say who are World Record holders

Before calling The Official Charts.com I rang the Guinness World Records. When it comes to World Records they must surely be the judges as to who holds a world record. The same young lady that I had previously spoken to answered my call and I had to go through the complete details all over again. She apparently works in the International Department and told me that the 'right person' that I should speak to was not at her desk but she took my telephone number and told me that she would get that same 'right person' to call me back. Again she asked me a host of questions "For our research department" and again I answered her questions and again I referred her to http://www.rubymurray.org. I just hope that "the right peson" will call me back as arranged but the familiar line then came "We are very busy" to which I replied that after 3 emails and two telephone calls I would have expected someone to respond.

We are still hanging on with white knuckles for a response. - I'll be back.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Teddy O'Neil

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Hi Bernie

Sorry to see you are still having a lot of hassle from the Guinness World Records and Official Charts people.
I note on the Guinness World Records website there is a tribute to Michael Jackson after his death showing that he had 7 World Records attributed to him:-
* Most Grammy awards in a year
* Most hit singles in UK charts in a year
* Best selling album of all time
* Longest span of No 1 hits
* Best sellling music video
* Highest annual earnings for a pop star
* most successful pop music family

No mention is made of him having most hits in Top Twenty at one time. Perhaps they are leaving this achievement to Ruby's credit.

I had always understood that Ruby's 5 simulatenuos hits record was acknowldeged in the Guinness Book of records though I have never actually seen it. Perhaps some others would have copies of the relevant book(s).

I think that the girl in the 'Guinness' offices must have just left school last week!

Good luck in your quest.

Ted

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

A brief message from Switzerland.

STILL no reply from 'British Hit Singles' (which is an off shoot of Guinness World Records). John.K warned me that I might have to wait a very long time for a reply. What I have established up to now is the fact that Ruby is mentioned in the book - 'British Hit Singles' and from that we should be able to deduce that it must be in connection with British Hit Singles. I intend to press for more details but it will have to be when I return to Spain on September 2nd.

I have looked up the books on British Hit Singles, there are a few, but I haven't got an account to be able to purchase a copy but I will remedy that situation soon.

Kindest regards to everyone.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, just sit back and enjoy your holiday, the rest will take care of itself. Ruby holds the record, it has not been broken.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John,

Thank you for those words of comfort. I intend to enjoy, not only my stay here in Switzerland but also my forthcoming visit to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. The city itself holds some very happy memories for me in connection with the various theatres here. I think the last time Ruby and I were in Edinburgh she topped the bill on a variety bill with The 3 Monarchs. I played the Empire Theatre when I was only l5 or l6 (a few years ago). with a revue starring a comedian called George Doonan - what a memory eh?

Adios Amigo, Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie,

Can't believe how long all this is taking them re Ruby's record - and with all the technology available today too! However, John is right you just relax and enjoy your hols!

Hope everyone is well!

Martin

Jk

Post by Jk »

I think Bernie is right about Ruby's record. Having watched the cricket, if Australia had drawn the last match they would have kept the ashes, although the series had been drawn. So Ruby held the record so because MJ only draw ed level, Ruby keeps her record. And that is my theory and I am keeping to it.
Regards
John.