Clever Mobile Phones!

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Clever Mobile Phones!

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Some time ago I changed my mobile phone for a more updated one, and found that it is capable of taking an additional micro memory card. That is micro in physical size, because I bought for less than £8 a 1 GB card.

I can use this card for storing pictures, videos and sound files, so I have been busy transferring to it my entire Ruby Murray song collection, plus other music that I like to listen to. This proved quite useful last week when we were away on a winter sunshine holiday in the Canary Islands. I had taken a book to read during the evenings, but I just could not get into it, so I got out my headset, plugged it in and first organised all of the songs into groups, representing the different periods from when they were recorded. Then I had available to me something over 7 hours of Ruby singing in my ear! What a lovely experience that has been. In fact, I did not have the time to listen to all of the songs, so that will come next time I have some quiet listening time.

My brother is one of those people who insist that a mobile phone is only for making phone calls. He does not text, does not take pictures and does not use it as an iPod music player. But I disagree there. It actually cost me nothing to get the clever phone rather than a simple one, and by connecting it to my computer, I can transfer many hours of music, take lots of pictures and so on, and I only need to remember to take one device and one charger.

Brilliant! :D
Gerald

Jk

Re: Clever Mobile Phones!

Post by Jk »

Hello Gerald, I also have upgraded my mobile phone, I bought a Nokia 5800, it comes with a 8GB Micro card in. I have put about 200 songs on at the moment. It has also got WI Fi on it which means when I am about say in Wigan, I can log on to the INTERNET using a "Hot Spot" such as McDonald's and keep my eye on you lot on the site, so even on the move I know what is going on. I have also just fitted my cable modem to a router, so when I go to bed I take my mobile with me and send emails out, have a look on Facebook and so on, and all for free.

Where did you go in the canary Islands? Hope you had a great time.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

This just goes to prove that we oldies can keep up with the technology that the young ones think belongs to them!

We went to Fuerteventura, a newish development along the East Coast called Caleta de Fuste. Beaches were absolutely lovely! We arrived on Saturday to a bit overcast, the Sunday was nice and the showers that had been forecast for Monday did indeed come, but we kept dodging them. From then on it got better and better, and on Thursday we had 28 degrees as a maximum. We spend most of Friday lazing on the beach, then Saturday came home to thick fog and 3 degrees!

Oh well, they say nothing lasts for ever! But we had a great time, thank you.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Gerald, Hi John,

Hope you are both well? I must say you two put me to shame, I am still on CDs. I do have an ipod though and a docking station and an all singing (no pun intended) mobile phone, so as soon as I get my music onto my pc I will transfer my collection onto there. Ruby will be at the top of the list of course along with my other favourite Irish singers and other singers from Ruby's era. I'm particularly into Jean Campbell at the mo but there doesnt seem to be much of her available on CD other than occasional tracks on compilation CDs from the 50s.

Best wishes.

Martin ;-)