Film of Ruby & Tommy Cooper in Gt.Yarmouth

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Brian Henson

Film of Ruby & Tommy Cooper in Gt.Yarmouth

Post by Brian Henson »

I'm sure most of you will have seen the film clip of Ruby & Tommy Cooper fooling around on a roller skating rink at Great Yarmouth. It first came to my attention when it was used in a TV programme some years ago titled 'The Way We Were' (I think it was produced by Anglia TV).

Some kind person has now put it onto 'youtube' for us to enjoy again. The interesting thing is that this time it's from a Tourism Film of the 1950s promoting Great Yarmouth as a holiday destination - and would seem to be the original source of the item that particularly interests us.

The film lasts approx. 5 minutes, and I found it to be a fascinating piece of nostalgia. The sequence featuring Ruby runs for only about half a minute, so if that's all you want to see - then you can fast forward. 20 seconds in there is a shot of the entrance to the Wellington Pier, with both Ruby and Tommy's names in large letters and a huge posters of their heads. But the main section starts about 3½ mins into the film.

Here is a link you can click on to take you directly to the film. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCGr3wJodF0

Brian

Jk

Re: Film of Ruby & Tommy Cooper in Gt.Yarmouth

Post by Jk »

Hi Brian, enjoyed your short film, oh how times have changed over the last 50 years.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I am sure I have seen some of this somewhere else, and in black and white...perhaps it was on the television, because I certainly remember the roller skating. Well it is good to have it in colour, even if it is a bit wishy-washy at times! Ruby and Tommy seemed to be enjoying themselves! I wonder who the "third man" was, who was helping to hold up Tommy?

Thank you Brian.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

How enjoyable it is to see Ruby on film as opposed to still shots. Gerald,- I think you mentioned about Anglian T.V. covering this story, that would have been in BLACK AND WHITE.

There is another facinating part to this clip, I have a feeling that the 'plane that flies by at the beginning could possibly be that of Stan Stennet, I will call him today to varify . Stan took his 'plane to Gt Yarmouth for the summer season and he took great delight in taking some of his fellow 'pros for trips to Scrooby Island, just off the coast, to see seals. In my missing 8 mm film I had a very good piece where he, Nat Jackley and Ruby 'Christened' his plane by pouring a bottle of champagne over the fuselage, he also took Ruby for a quick flight to view the seals. How Ruby managed to summon up the courage to fly in his 'plane is amazing but she enjoyed the trip. Stan is still active in show business, like me, he produced a World War ll show which he tours around the country. Coincidentally, he called his show 'Bless 'em All' the same as I did with my show. He also does pantomime every year, mostly in Wales, his homeland.

Two days ago I posted a few photgraphs to Teddy Johnson and Pearl Carr, one of them was of Ruby, Teddy and Stan at a charity fete in Gt. Yarmouth, I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping that I hear back from Teddy and Pearl - Pearl is now either 84 or 85 and Teddy will be 90 next September and according to reports they are still thriving in Barnes - Surrey.

I may try, yet again, to trace the whereabouts of my films and to do that I will attempt to trace Ruby's brother's two sons. I think they were both in the Metroploitan Police Force. The eldest son is Thomas Murray and the younger one was named after his father Jack. Has anyone any ideas on how to trace someone in the 'Met'? The one member of the family that would have been my best chance of tracing the films would have been Jack Murray's wife, she was called Ruby too but to avoid confusion she was nick named 'Wee' Ruby. Unfortunately 'Wee' Ruby became a victim of Alzheimer's and passed away some time ago. It's still worth a try the find the films.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

With reference to the opening comment in your message, Bernie, I didn't suggest that Anglia TV covered the event themselves back in the 1950s. If you read my first message again you'll see that I was referring to a programme titled 'The Way We Were' - which was a nostalgia series which used old footage from the past. When that series was running, back in the 1990s, I fortunately recorded the edition which featured Ruby and Tommy Cooper in Great Yarmouth. So I am able to say with certainty that it was screened in colour, and indeed with the original commentary from the Great Yarmouth tourism film that we are now able to view on 'youtube'. As I mentioned in my first message, that film seems to be the original source of the footage that Anglia used on 'The Way We Were'.

When 'The Way We Were' series was produced, Anglia located a member of the original 'Wonderwheels' skating troup (by then in her 50s), and they filmed her reminiscing about the days when she was performing at the rink, and seeing the celebrities who were appearing at the Wellington Pier theatre - all of which Anglia edited in alongside the original 1950s footage.

If Gerald has seen a black & white version of the event featuring Ruby & Tommy, then it must have been on a different programme, because I can definitely confirm from my video recording that 'The Way We Were' used exactly the same colour footage. By the way, Gerald - you asked who the other person was in the clip helping to hold Tommy Cooper up. I recall having a conversation with Bernie some years ago, when I first showed him my video recording - and I think he came up with a name (someone who was also in the cast or production of the Wellington Pier show). I didn't make a note of the name, so when you have a few minutes to spare, Bernie, perhaps you would take another look at the 'youtube' clip and let us know if you can identify him again. Ta!

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Brian,
Sorry for the confusion. - Regarding the other person who is steadying Tommy Cooper, I cannot remember naming him but after careful study, running the clip back and forth, I can come up with a guess as to who it possbly could be. There was a man who came to see Ruby frequently during that season, he and his wife Joy lived in, or close to Norwich, his name was Doug Geddes, I think he was associated with Anglia Television. Anyway there is a strong resemblance to Doug.

Doesn't Ruby look pretty in this brief piece of film?

I have sent the link to this clip that you posted to Stan Stennet so that he could confirm, or otherwise, if the 'plane that flies past is his. He was fascinated by the find and he will come back to me and let me know. Somewhere in the archives at Anglia T.V. there must be a copy of a television programme that Anglia made which featured several artistes from the various shows in Gt Yarmouth and we, The Jones Boys, took part in the programme.

There was a very strange dressing room arrangement back stage at the Wellington Pier. Tommy's dressing room was close to one side of the stage but we had to go through his dressing room to get to ours, which I think was upstairs. He frequently came into our dressing room to try out a new piece of comedy and he would ask us if we thought the piece was funny.

Adios Amigos, Bernie

Brian Henson

Ruby in Great Yarmouth

Post by Brian Henson »

Here's the photograph that Bernie referred to in his message of 24.2.2010 of Ruby at a Charity fete in Great Yarmouth with Teddy Johnson and Stan Stennett. Another happy snap from Bernie's collection, and thanks for the interesting story about Stan's aeroplane. It was all happening in Great Yarmouth that summer! Was it the same season when Ruby was appearing at the Wellington Pier theatre with Tommy Cooper? She looks so relaxed and happy on both occasions.

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Yes Brian.-It was all happening during that 1958 summer season In Gt.Yarmouth. Ruby had a hit record bubbling around,(wasn't it 'Real Love' or 'Goodbye Jimmy'?) If I've got my facts wrong I know that someone will put the facts right.The Jones Boys had recorded 'A Certain Smile' - I played in a charity football match (no, I didn't score the goal) along with other artistes appearing in Yarmouth i.e Stan Stennett and The Hedley Ward Trio and a cricket match with Teddy Johnson, great fun was had by all. One of The Hedley Ward Trio - Derek Franklyn - was married to Beryl Reid the actress. He married a second time to one of The Mackell Twins. The Hedley Ward Trio had a hit, or near miss, record with 'Who Dat Up Dere?

I rang to speak to Stan Stennett today and spoke to his wife Betty, she told me that Cerri (their son) had received my email with the link to the film about Gt Yarmouth and he had passed word to Stan that I had enquired about whether it was his 'plane. Ceri seemed to think that it was his father's 'plane but I will wait to get confirmation from Stan.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, I think the song must have been "Real Love" that was released in 1958, while "Goodbye Jimmy" was 1959
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

Hope all is well.

Brian, thanks for the link to youtube. What a great and nostalgic video. Times sure have changed in this country. I think Ruby looks lovely. She could have been a film star with her looks really, not to mention talent. I think I remember "The way we were" and I am sure it was also screened in the Granada region, although typically I missed this episode. Maybe John remembers with living in Wigan.

Bernie, I hope you do manage to un-earth some old films. With reference to the Met, have you thought of trying Scotland Yard or somebody? I hope that Teddy and Pearl are well and thriving. Please wish them well as I am a big fan of their music. Are they still singing? There are a couple of videos of Teddy and Pearl on youtube singing "Sing little birdie" on Eurovision and also at the Palladium on the same show as Ruby. It is quite a goldmine for our type of music!

Best wishes.

Martin.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I don't think all of that Anglia series 'The Way We Were' was networked. I'm certain in London we didn't see them all, but fortunately the Great Yarmouth edition was one that did get screened.

Brian