Malcolm Vaughan

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Brian Henson

Malcolm Vaughan

Post by Brian Henson »

Sad to report that Malcolm Vaughan died earlier this month. He had several huge hits around the same time as Ruby's(1955-1959) including 'Ev'ry Day Of My Life', 'St Teresa of the Roses', 'My Special Angel' and 'More Then Ever'. He was part of a comedy double act with partner, Kenneth Earle - and they continued to work together even after Malcolm began to have records in the Top 10. I can't be certain of this now, but I think I recall seeing 'Earle & Vaughan' on a variety bill with Ruby - possibly at the Golders Green Empire.

Malcolm, real name Malcolm James Thomas, was born in Abercynon, Wales, on 22 March 1929; married 1956 to Gaye Hands. They had two sons. Malcolm died in Eastbourne on 9 February 2010.

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Re: Malcolm Vaughan

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

Malcolm had a superb voice and he was tremendously successful in the recording world. I think I am right in saying that he was handled at E.M.I. by Walter Ridley, in the next office to Ruby and Norrie Paramor. Walter also had Ronnie Hilton amongst his star names. I cannot say for sure that Earl & Vaughan worked on any variety bills with Ruby but I do know that Ruby admired his singing voice tremendously. Kenneth Earl went to work as a 'booker' in the London Management office but after Ruby had left that office. As you may all remember, Ruby and Ronnie Hilton toured extensively with a 50s package show in the 90s which also included Joan Regan and sometimes with Ken Goodwin supplying the comedy. Sadly Ken Goodwin, like Malcolm, is also a victim of Alzheimer's. He lived here on the Spanish coast for many years but returned to England just a few years ago.

The only sad thing these days about being associated with successful stars of the 50s is the fact that far too many from that era are leaving us, and all too frequently. Tempus Fugit - as they say in Aberystwyth.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

Afraid I have not checked the website for some time now, and am extremely sorry to learn that Malcolm Vaughan has died. He was my favourite male singer - in fact the only male singer I ever really liked or followed. I met him in Great Yarmouth (near to where I lived at the time) one summer when Ruby was also appearing there, and later sent him a photo I took on that occasion, which he kindly signed and returned to me. I had every intention of trying to track him down and congratulate him on his 80th Birthday almost exactly a year ago, but never got round to it. I am pleased to have found a double CD of his recordings - which I could not afford to buy at the time, as all my pocket money was spent on records by Ruby and my other great favourite, Winifred Atwell (whom I also knew personally). My belated but sincere condolences to those Malcolm has left. John Harris (Norfolk).

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

What sad news about Malcolm, may he rest in peace. I love "St Teresa of the roses". John, do try to get that double CD, it is good quality and contains some great tracks.

Martin