When Ruby sang 'Never Never Land'

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Brian Henson

When Ruby sang 'Never Never Land'

Post by Brian Henson »

Every once in a while, a piece of sheet music turns up of a song which, although wasn't recorded by Ruby, claims to have been featured or broadcast by her - and in this case 'Featured on Television by Ruby Murray'.

Does anyone remember seeing Ruby sing this little novelty song that was popular in the UK during the summer of 1954 - shortly before she started recording for Columbia? I wonder which programme she sang it on - I'd guess it pre-dated her appearances on 'Quite Contrary'.

The most popular recorded version at the time was by Frank Weir, his Saxophone, Chorus & Orchestra - but there were other versions available by Diana Decker, Joe Loss, Beverley Sisters and Peter Sellers.

Interestingly, the sheet music features an early photograph that I'm not familiar with.

Brian

MARTIN FOSTER

Re: When Ruby sang 'Never Never Land'

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Brian,

I hope you are well. I think this has been on here as a thread some time ago. Ruby looks extremely young on the pic. I have only heard Diana Decker's version of this novelty song. Perhaps Bernie can shed some light on this for us.

Martin.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I must have missed it before, Martin - it was new to me, so sorry if I've repeated something that has been seen before. There's a lot to look back on now, so easy to miss earlier postings.

It certainly is a very early photograph, so maybe it's worth bringing it to everyone's notice again.

The song and the photograph must be before Bernie had even met Ruby, but she probably would have had a copy of the sheet music, so maybe he will have some recollection of it.

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I can remember the postings on this subject. I also recall a discussion that I had with Brian about a piano copy but can't say whether that was the same song or two different ones? (Come on, make allowances for the old lad) Ah! yes, the one that we duscussed was the song that Ruby sang on radio. but didn't record,- 'Blue Star', so it isn't the same one. Which ever, both songs were around before I met Ruby so I knew very little about them

Currently, I'm in the midst of another rummage, this time through a mountain of press cuttings and I'm hopng to unearth something that will be of interest. Later on today I will be engaged in a hectic game of Petanque with some 'Ex Pat' friends, the pitches are right outside my balcony so I will be able to 'stagger' back to my apartment to recover after the game.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Not so much of the 'OLD' Lad, Bernie! At least I remember it was 'Lucky Star' we previously discussed - not 'Blue Star' :lol:

Brian

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I was interested to know what we actually said about this song the last time around, and have found the following links. In the first one, Sandy brings up the subject because she spotted the sheet music for sale on E-bay.

http://www.rubymurray.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=214

In the second link, Graham explains that it was a friend of his in America who bought the sheet music on his behalf, and he very kindly has sent me a copy to put in our Library.

http://www.rubymurray.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=216

I hope others find it of interest, too.
Gerald