The Late Molly Battersby

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

The Late Molly Battersby

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I received an e-mail a couple of months ago from a gentleman called Adrian Battersby whose mother Molly had sadly died. Amongst her belongings he had found a scrap book dedicated to Ruby, and he had an idea that Ruby and his mother might have known each other. After a search he had found us on the internet and so e-mailed Bernie who passed him on to me. He wondered if the book was of any use to us, as he did not feel he could simply put it in the bin, but he acknowledged that perhaps we already had all the information and cuttings that might be contained within it. So I invited him to send it to me and I would have a look at it.

As you can imagine, there is little in it that we do not know already, but I was struck by one or two pictures that I have not seen before. For example, the day Ruby came out of hospital to return to the London Palladium after her bad throat, there is a newspaper picture that is a little different from the one that I have. I think the book reflects the collections of someone whose parents probably took a different paper from the ones that my parents had, back in the 50s. There are a number of cuttings from Sheffield newspapers, and tickets to events that took place in Sheffield. Many of the cuttings and pictures have the date written in beside them, presumably by Molly herself. Some of them have been coloured in quite tastefully.

It was clear that Molly joined the Ruby Murray Fan Club, for there in the book is her lapel button and her own membership card - she was member number 11892. It brought back vivid memories of the time when I also joined, although sadly I don't have these objects any more. Molly was also clearly taken by Ruby and Bernie's first baby, Julie, for glued into the book are birthday cards, for ages 1 to 5 with Julie's name on them - but apparently not sent. These cards must have a story of their own to tell. It is true that Molly did send things to Ruby, because there are some Certificates of Posting from the Lowershire Green Post Office, Sheffield. One is addressed to Ruby at Hulme Hippodrome, Manchester in 1960 and another to her at Weymouth in 1961.

I have thanked Adrian on all our behalf and assured him that there is no way his mother's little book will be scrapped while I am looking after it. His mother was simply one of us and it would have been lovely to have met up with her over the last few years had she been able to surf the internet and find this website for herself. May she rest in peace.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Re: The Late Molly Battersby

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald.

I am so pleased that you handled the situation AND so very well too. I am also delighted that even now various people from the past bring forward items of great interest. Just as we begin to think that everything has been said and done up comes something of interest which sparks off renewed activity. I am confident that it will continue to be this way.

Adios Amigo.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

Poor Molly, may she rest in peace. I hope Ruby is singing to her in heaven now.

Martin.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Martin,

What a beautiful thought you placed as a message, I am sure it will be appreciated,

Adios Amigo. Bernie.