Ruby on Radio Merseyside

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Ruby on Radio Merseyside

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I am not sure if the name David Mathieson has cropped up here at all - he is like most of us a long-standing fan of Ruby, and is in touch with David Frankish and me from time to time. He also kept in touch with Ruby throughout her career.

He telephoned me yesterday evening to let me know that a DJ on Radio Merseyside (and forgive me, I can't remember his name :oops: ) played Ruby's record of Heartbeat. This was not in response to a request, but just something he wanted to do, and he said some nice words about her singing, and how popular she had been at the time the record was released.

David also added that he had written many cards and letters to Ruby, and after she had died, several of them were returned to him, possibly by Bernie or Tim after the flat was cleared (maybe Bernie will know). He got a bit emotional when he told me how warm it made him feel to know that Ruby had almost certainly held these items in her hands and read them, and it made him so pleased he had kept in touch.

We were talking for over half and hour, and as David does not use a computer, I updated him on things that have been going on here, particularly the Molly Battersby story.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Re: Ruby on Radio Merseyside

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald,

Please pass on my very best wishes to David and tell him that it would have been Tim who collected all of Ruby's personal possessions from her apartment, so it is most likely that he forwarded on David's original letters. The Merseyside area, where David comes from, has many fond memories for me, not least of which was our visit to Alderhey Children's hospital when we were appearing in Snow White at the Liverpool Empire Theatre. Ruby, myself and all 7 of the dwarfs went around the wards and the look on the childrens' faces was a delight to see when the dwarfs actually stood by their bedside, I believe there is a photo of that particular scene in the Library.
One little girl was attached to the bed by a long bandage attached to both sides of her bed, apparently she wouldn't stay in bed. When Ruby went to talk to her she clung on to her and wouldn't let go. Ruby was so touched by the incident the next day we sent the little girl a toy Rabbit which was called 'Thumper' after the rabbit character in the Disney film 'Bambi'. Around ten years, or so, ago I contacted the Liverpool Echo and sent them the story. They published the photo and appealed for the person comcerned in the photo to contact them. Strangely two women got in touch claiming to be the little girl in the photo so, on Ruby's behalf I wrote to both of them.

I would dearly love to go back to see The Liverpool Empire Theatre, it's enormous in size and was the first theatre that I witnessed a counterweight system for hanging stage cloths which at that time was a wonderous invention, most other theatres had 3 rope systems which was very heavy on the muscles and usually called for several men the lift very heavy cloths. Sorry.... I digressed.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Ruby on Radio Merseyside

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I had another phone call from David last night, and he was pleased to tell me that a week ago, in tribute to Norman Wisdom's passing, the record of Ruby and Norman singing "Two Rivers" was played. The DJ was a lady called Maureen Walsh, whom David knows, and it seems that she played the track from the EMI Golden Anniversary Collection giving it a good plug into the bargain! I asked him to thank her on our behalf.

Unfortunately it is now too late to listen again to the programme via BBC iPlayer, and David did try to get me last week but we were out the times he phoned. Still it is good to know that another song was aired, particularly as it led to mention of the Anthology collection.
Gerald