David Whitfield DVD

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

David Whitfield DVD

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hello Ruby fans,

I have just received some information that I must pass on to all of you...........David Whitfield has a D.V.D which will be released on the 24th May 2010.

He was very popular in the fifties along with Ruby and Dickie Valentine........The reason why I think we will be interested in this D.V.d is because it indicates that it shows clips of Ruby and The Jones Boys I think from T.V performances.

I have not seen the D.V.D so can't comment on the quality of the clips or for how long they run for but I'm sure for the sake of nostalgia many of us will want to buy this D.V.D.

Take Care
Graham
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Re: David Whitfield DVD

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Wow that sounds exciting! Thanks for letting us know, I will certainly keep a look out for it.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham,

That sounds very fascinating to me, I cannot begin to think where the clip originated from. I think we (J.Bs) did a television show with Ruby on A.T.V., 'Startime' if I remember correctly, there was even a small card photograph of both the Boys and Ruby, which was taken on set at A.T.V., and I have tried to find out where that cigarette card size photo came from, I believe that it originated from a collectors' numbered set of some kind and it has been coloured somehow but the quality is very poor. It has been suggested that the original must be in an A.T.V. archive but were that archive is is anybody's guess.

Ruby co-starred with David Whitfield on a cabaret tour somewhere in the mid 70s but it was not easy for me to cope with because David stayed with us at Rectory Cottage and he was drinking quite heavily at that time which didn't help my cause??? David had a Road Manager called Clive Brandy (by name and by nature) who eventually managed Iris Williams. Iris had a tremendous hit with- 'He Was Beautiful'.(Cavatina) .She had a beautiful deep voice and she should have gone on to far greater things but she seemed to fade away, I suspect perhaps management failures, which is a great shame. Iris, i believe, has been living in the States for quite a few years.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

The release date of 24 May seems a long time to wait, but it will soon come round. Meanwhile here is a direct link to Play.com where you can pre-order the DVD - and also see the cover liner and the brief pre-release review which mentions Ruby and the Jones Boys.
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/14229959 ... oduct.html

Brian

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Graham,and the rest of the gang. First I must apologise for not replying sooner about this posting, but I have not been well of late and I am not using my computer has much, so I'M sorry if I do miss some postings it is not intentionally.

Having got that of my chest, I can't wait to see this DVD, I met David Whitfield many times, and he was a really nice person, I did once try to book him for my local club when I was concert Secretary, but the fee was just over my limit so it did not happen, this was just weeks before he died.
Anyhow we will have to wait a few weeks for the DVD but it is something to look forward too.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John,

Sorry to hear that you have not been too well recently, I hope that you will feel better soon because you are greatly missed when you are not 'posting'.

I will be fascinated by the David Whitfield DVD, even if the appearances of Ruby and The J.B.s are only fleeting ones

Take great care of yourself and don't over do things.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

How very interesting about this DVD. I wonder what Ruby and Bernie will be up to?

Roy Elliott

Post by Roy Elliott »

Hi, I have been reading your comments re David Whitfield DVD. You may already know but if the DVD is the show with Ruby in then I can give you some info.

The show entitled Val Parnell's Spectacular- The David Whitfield Show -televised in 1957. with Ruby as guest artiste. Also appearing Morecambe and Wise The Jones Boys- and a not very funny american comedian. Quality good, in black and white. David on top form and Ruby excellent too. Ruby sings a solo number and one with the Jones Boys. David introduces Ruby and says that she has either just got married or about to and wishes her all the best for the future. David sings six songs.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Gerald Lawrence

Thank you for that information, Roy.
I'm just more impatient to get my hands on a copy now!
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Roy,

Thank you for the info. I am so impatient, can you give us any more info regarding Ruby's appearance?

Thanks.

Martin.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I expect several of you will like me have received your copy of the 'David Whitfield on TV' dvd. Apart from the joy of seeing new material of Ruby, I must say it's also great to see the Jones Boys in action at last (especially when joined by their girl vocalist for 'Ain't That A Grand And Glorious Feeling'.

Brian

Gerald Lawrence

I know that some of you, including Bernie, have already got your copy. Would anybody like to give us some more details of the appearances by Ruby, and the Jones Boys?

Or are you saving it as a surprise for us! :D
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Yes Gerald - I will,

Both Ruby and the Jones Boys do a solo number and join together for a duet. The J.Bs. solo is 'With All My Heart' and Ruby's is what was obviously a newly released - 'I'll Remember Today'. When viewing one has to remember that it is a 'live' performance - there is no 'Take Two' it goes out 'warts and all'. It would not be correct for me to pass opinions because i can see all the blemishes.
Ruby is her usual delicate, vulnerable and loveable self and given that she had to enter via tread steps ( a vitual nightmare for her) and had difficulty picking up the intro from the orchestra, she did very well. I'm not sure that the song was the right one for her to do on T.V. but her record company would expect her to sing the song on television. The duet comes over very well and Ruby gains in confidence as we sing - 'Ain't That a Grand and Glorious Feeling.' Ruby doesn't put a foot wrong in the duet whereas The J.B.s had a problem starting and missed a couple of things. All in all I am delighted that we now have some T.V. footage of Ruby and the thought comes to mind, how much more is there hidden away in the archives.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Teddy O'Neil

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Thanks to the RM website for recommending the David Whitfield DVD. I have just received my copy and was fascinated watching Ruby on 'live' television after all these years. I had never seen Ruby perform 'Aint that a grand a glorious feeling' and found the little routine with the Jones Boys highly entertaining - wasn't Bernie a handsome lad in those days!¬

Lets hope they find some more TV recordings.

Cheers, Ted

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Ted - Quote "Wasn't Bernie a handsome lad in those days?"

I STILL AM TED.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.