Ruby Murray's Family Home at 84 Moltke Street

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Re: Ruby Murray's Family Home at 84 Moltke Street

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Fans/Friends.

Here is a plea that I have sent to the powers that be in Belfast:-

Dear Sir.

On behalf of myself and the multitude of Ruby Murray fans world wide, may I/we submit a desperate appeal to whoever is the power behind the decision making for the possible demolition of what once was the cherished home of my late wife RUBY MURRAY, namely - 84 Moltke Street. to please spare the building. As you may be aware, Ruby has been honoured by the City of Belfast in many different ways, not least of which is the commemorative plaque that is proudly displayed on the facia of The Ulster Hall which was unveiled by the then Councillor Wallace Brown. as Lord Mayor of Belfast who happened to be a Ruby Murray fan himself. Although she achieved world wide recognition and a world record of having 5 hit records in the Top Twenty, all at the same time, she never ever forgot her home roots in Belfast and always showed the world how proud she was of her childhood there. Her soft Northern Irish accent was part of her charm and it remained with her to the end. Ruby still has a tremendous following of ardent fans who are still very active on the website dedicated to her memory, namely: - www.rubymurray.org .

Our desperate plea is - PLEASE, don't destroy a treasured part of Ruby's life, PLEASE allow it to remain as a tribute to a GREAT STAR who was born there. We feel sure that the building can be used for many different purposes and not reduced to rubble, that would be a tragedy.

On behalf of myself and a multitude of RUBY MURRAY fans worldwide we send you and everyone in Belfast our very best wishes, and our fervent hope that you will heed our plea.

Yours most sincerely.

Bernie Burgess (Ruby's ex Husband)

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Friends.

I have received a reply from the person that I was put in touch with by Billy -

Adios Amigos - Bernie.

Dear Bernie
I am meeting with some of the Village area reps today, I am not working for the Housing Executive or the developer on this - I only chair the meetings of the community reps but I completely understand that this is an important part of local history and something very close to your own heart, I'll pass your comments on.
Best regards
Michael Hegarty
Director

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Friends.

After sending my email plea to Michael Hagerty in Belfast a good idea came to my mind so I have sent a back-up email, here is what I suggested. A ambitious idea but one that could bear fruit. -

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Hello Michael,

As a last minute thought, would it not be possible, considering the number of show business artistes in the Belfast area, for Moltke Street to be converted to a Stage School for local, young, up and coming artistes of the future, i.e. The Ruby Murray Stage School????

A showbusiness friend of mine in Northampton, where Ruby and I lived for nearly 20 years, started a stage school in Northampton and it is now highly successful with over 450 young pupils. Some of her pupils are currently appearing in the West End of London. There are so many very experienced show business artistes in Belfast so I am sure that such a project would be successful - BELFAST HAS GOT TALENT???

Yours ever hopefully,

Bernie Burgess.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

A very good couple of posts, Bernie. There is nobody like yourself when it comes to taking up a new project on behalf of Ruby. I wish you complete success in persuading the powers that be to put to good use a part of Ruby's and Belfast's history.
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

I would like to add my wishes that Rubys family home 84 Moltke Street be preserved.........Ruby was much loved by so many people it could be turned into a lasting tribute to her.
She has been called Irelands own which would indicate that the Irish people are proud to have had such a wonderful ambassador for their country and have indeed recognised that by the placing of a plaque in her honour in Belfast.

In the music industry she is still the only artist to have five records in the hit parade at the same time,which is likely to remain unbeaten........Another reason why her name should never be forgotten.

Her home could be turned into a museum and house articles and pictures which I'm sure her fans would supply.....It could be a lasting tribute to Rubys memory and also house memrobilia for other Irish artists who have contributed to the music scene.

Remember once its gone,you can't put it back.....Don't let them pull it down
Take Care
Graham.
Graham

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Here here!

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Friends.
As you will have seen in an earlier posting I have submitted an idea which perhaps is rather ambitious but we must wait to see what the reaction is. Realistically the house where Ruby lived is perhaps too small for the Stage School idea that I suggested. Additionally there is also a problem with trying to save No.84, which is a terraced house, whilst demolishing the houses on either side, not an easy task.

Back in England I was involved, together with a showbusiness pal of mine, Ronnie Collis in running a theatrical shop. It was opened by Englelbert Humperdink's wife Pat, (they were both show business friends of Ronnie's). We called the shop 'Chaplins' because Ronnie, my pal, did a super 7 minute silent impression of Chaplin and was very well known within the profession for that special routine. Unfortunately Ronnie was not a 9 to 5 person having spent his entire live in a profession that called for late nights and late mornings. Eventually the shop was sold and I moved on. The idea of a Stage School was put forward by Ronnie's wife - Belinda. they decided to pursue the idea and using the same name - Chaplins, the Stage School duly opened. It soon became highly successful and the last I heard it could boast over 450 young students. The local Borough Council are delighted with the operation, it provides a wealth of healthy activities for hundreds of young people, it keeps them off the streets and out of trouble. They support the project with great enthusiasm and frequently Councillors attend their various events and I have been there when the Lord Mayor attended one of their shows.

With this success story in mind I put forward the idea to people in Belfast of converting 84, Moltke Street into a Stage School. Now of course I realise that the house would possibly be too small to be able to grow into a venue like Chaplins with it's membership of 450+ young students - but wait, what if they saved the houses on each side??? Optimistic I know but it's a good thought. I have sent a considerable amount of data to Belfast and Belinda is kindly sending me a Prospectus for their perusal. I intend to follow it through even though it may be too ambitious. I will report back when I get their reaction in Belfast.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Just to let you see what we are talking about here, I have uploaded a photograph to the Miscellaneous Images section of 84 Moltke Street. Here is a copy

Gerald

Bernie Burgess

URGENT MESSAGE TO EX POSTERS.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Friends,

This is an urgent appeal to ALL FRIENDS who used to post on a regular basis asking them to post messages of support for what we are striving to achieve. Currently we have only very few regular POSTERS which is not enough to show the support we need. I appeal to those who were regular posters to help by posting messages showing their support. If it is left to the 'FEW' we will not have the strength of numbers that we desperately need.

All hands to the pump Friends.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Yes come on guys, get your fingers out (only kidding)!

Has anybody heard how John is lately?

Billy Dickson

Post by Billy Dickson »

For a good view of Ruby Murray's family home at 84 Moltke Street and what the area looks like today -with all the blocked up houses- click on http://vimeo.com/25100703 If this does not work then go to http://www.blackstaff-residents.org.uk and you should get the link from there. The Village and Monarch Community Design Team meeting was held recently and there was no strong support for keeping the house - all members of the Design Team are local residents-. There was also an article in the South Belfast Community Telegraph asking for suggestions as to what should be done to the house in Moltke Street. I don't think there has been any suggestions. The Community Design Team did agree however, that the site of the house should be marked in some way when the house is demolished. They are also seriously considering developing a community garden nearby when the history of the area will be reflected including famous people like Ruby. As a local resident who hoped to save the house, I must now be realistic as there is very little chance of saving it. It might have helped if there had been proof of many tourists visiting the street to take photographs of the house. As a member of the Community Design Team, I would appreciate any suggestions as to how best we can commemorate Ruby in the community garden. The fact that Ruby Murray's family home at Moltke Street is likely to be demolished will be a great disappointment to many including myself, but it is hoped that there will be many more people who will be informed about Ruby as they visit the garden, so all is not lost. :)
Regards,
Billy Dickson

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Billy, I must say I have not been round for a while, so Have not been following your thread. First I would not be in favour in keeping the house, you can't keep houses that are in need of a vast amount of money to keep repairing, and also if you saved houses of all the great singers that come out of Ireland there would be no ware for anyone Else. Now a community garden is different thing altogether, that would be really nice, providing the council kept it in shape and not let it get neglected. Perhaps a bench seat and some small flags in a small garden with the names on would be nice and a few flowers surrounded them.
Anyhow thanks for your efforts in trying to keep Ruby's name alive.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Hi John, good to see you around again.
Hello Billy, thank you for those fascinating links - I have followed both of them and watched the video and read all the words.
They certainly show that this is a rather complex subject, more than just whether or not Ruby's place of birth should be kept intact. The video shows lots of bricked up houses in Moltke Street which clearly makes for poor living for those left behind. As the man in the video says, will those who have already left ever come back? Then there are the houses which have been beautifully restored - will they get pulled down just because they are beside a bricked up one? We don't know what state 84 is in, but in the worst case it may need lots of attention to bring it up to standard as a place to be lived in.
There is also a glimmer of the politics involved, of which we know there are quite a few in Belfast! This is clearly not the first area to be subjected to "Regeneration" and I suppose because of my own age I am particularly interested in the comment suggesting that when the senior citizens have passed on, nobody will know or care about The Village.
While I would like to think that Ruby is held in such high esteem in her home city that the powers that be would do their best not to destroy her place of birth, the fact is that she spent more time living in Benburb Street and that house has already been demolished without our knowledge and we have just had to accept it in the name of progress towards good living conditions for the people who are still alive and wanting a good home in Belfast. So all in all, I think the residents of The Village should have the most say in what exactly it is that those who want to continue living in that area want. If that means the demolition of Moltke Street then I will accept it. In that case, a garden dedicated to Ruby and looked after with flowers (especially roses that she loved) would be a fitting tribute and may even attract a few visitors who would not have gone to see a run-down house that they cannot get into because it is lived in, in a run-down area.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

In recent days I have despatched a mountain of data on the dance school idea to the design team, - prospectus, photos, write-ups etc. in the wild hope that I can generate interest. Apparently there is another meeting on Tuesday so this may be the last chance of getting some enthusiasm for the idea. I fully realise that I may well be aiming far too high but I think it's worth trying. If only the powers that be in Belfast could see the amount of success and achievement that the venue in my home town of Northampton has built up. Amongst the pupils at that school are daughters of some local Councillors and a reigning Lord Mayor regularly attends their concerts. The past Proprietor of th school - the late Ronnie Collis, annually staged productions of their own at The Derngate, a local Entertainment venue, it continues to be an annual event. He even hired the London Palladium to stage a full evenings performance of Chaplins Stage School which he founded and fostered, that is how successful his project is. Just imagine the thrill that the youngsters had when they performed on the stage of The London Palladium.

A similar project could be very successful in Belfast by providing a platform for many young would be students to enter the world of entertainment with singing, dancing acting and even recording. Chaplins has produced many young budding stars who have gone on to appear in West End shows, including 'Oliver'.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

I agree Bernie that a project similar to the one in Northampton would be the ideal solution and I hope you have gained a foothold in getting support from the powers that be.
If not, it is not from want of trying, that is sure!
Gerald