Ruby Murray's Family Home at 84 Moltke Street

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Re: Ruby Murray's Family Home at 84 Moltke Street

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald and other Friends,

I have met with success in other previous schemes, which pleased me enormously, but this time reality tells me that there is no sentiment when it comes to big time development. It is being extremely optmistic to expect to save, not just one but three houses, one either side of 84. whilst the rest of the row of terraced houses are demolished. For a project, such as a dancing school, one would need more space than just No.84 so it would need the three together.

To give friends an idea of the example that I have constantly quoted - Chaplins, the Stage School that my pal Ronnie Collis founded and fostered, offer the following - Tap Dancing, Ballett Dancing, Modern Dancing, Acrobatics, Acting, Stage Presentation and others that I can't bring to mind. They also have Recording studio facilty (For students use and for outside hire). They became self supporting and eventually turned into a Trust. They have adult classes for all of the previously mentioned. They organised a fund raising committee and frequent events are arranged throughout the whole of the year. Examinations are held with the aim of achieving National Dance Academy Awards. Many students have achieved these awards and have progressed to become teachers themselves. Their wardrobe is enormous and Ronnie's mother-in-law works tirelessly making costumes - with help from many parents of the students.
The parents play a very big part in the success of the project and the interest and enthusiasm is quite unbelievable. Fathers also get involved in such things as making 'props', even pieces on scenery, and carrying out Stage Manager's and Stage Hand tasks at the various shows.

I feel quite sure that if a visit was arranged for a representative(s) to see for themselves it would become clear that such a venue could be successful in Belfast WITH THE WILL and the proud name of The Ruby Murray Dance Accademy could become a reality.

FOOTNOTE.
I think Billy Dickson needs to have our heartfelt thanks and appreciation for his efforts towards attempting to save Ruby's home, he fought a long and hard battle. THANKS BILLY for all your efforts.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

How about some sort of plaque or wall mural in the garden if it is definitely not possible to save the house? Preferably with space for a brief biography of Ruby that visitors can read.

Billy Dickson

Post by Billy Dickson »

Bernie,
At our Community Design Team meeting on 27th June. I had your views in writing, hoping for a discussion. However due to no fault of our own the meeting had to be cut short. I managed however to give copies of your views to members and the architect before leaving. There has been informal talks since then and I am pleased that there is a willingness to have something(s) for Ruby. A new street is being created where 84 Moltke Street is now, so a planning application might go the planning office before the end of July. We must be realistic and say that there is no chance of saving the house. You could send a proposal to the Design Team requesting that the new street be named after Ruby. There is a Murry Street (after James Murray) already in Belfast but I don't think there is a Ruby Street. There might be others in the community with other suggestions and I'm sure we will end up having a vote on which name to select – assuming that there will be more than one name. In addition to the above I am sure Ruby will be featured in the community garden.
Regards,
Billy

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Billy - Hello Friends,

I accept defeat - graciously. As I expected, saving Ruby's home is a lost cause, however, if it's a question of naming a street after her then why not call it -

RUBY'S STREET.- I feel that the apostrophe makes all the difference, always assuming that an apostrophe can be placed on a street name plate.

I'd like to hear what other Friends/Fans think of my suggestion and I invite them to post their opinions so that we can see how much support there might be for my idea.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

My grateful thanks to Billy and Bernie for trying so hard to keep the family home preserved, but as you have both said there are other ways to keep Ruby's memory alive.

I am not aware of any street that has an apostrophe in it, so that could be a first. I once lived in a street called "Norman Ashman Coppice" so perhaps "Ruby Murray Street" would be possible. If not, then I guess there is only one person associated with Belfast called Ruby so I would not be unhappy with "Ruby Street" especially if it is associated with a plaque located close by giving more information. In London, where a place that once belonged to a historically famous person has been demolished, you often find a plaque with the words such as "Charles Dickens, famous writer, lived in a house not far from here".
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

HI guys, hope everybody is well.

Bernie, sorry to hear about the loss of Ruby's home. I hope you are not too upset about this. However, if the street can be named after dear Ruby then that at least is something.

Billy, many thanks for all your efforts on our behalf.

Gerald, there is a street in Manchester called 'The street with no name' so I am sure they can put whatever they like on a street sign. However, my choices would be as follows:-

First choice - Ruby Murray Street
Second Choice - Ruby's Street
Third choice - Ruby Street
Fourth Choice - Murray Street

What does everybody else think?

Best wishes.

Martin

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I stand corrected on apostrophes!

On my walk around Kenilworth today, I saw St John's Street, and Clarke's Avenue so it can be done. However, I do tend to think that it might be better to include Ruby's surname just to be sure who is commemorated, but I really don't mind as long as she gets a mention.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald, - Hello Friends,

I think you are right, Ruby's surname should be included. Somewhere I saw mentioned that there is already a Murray Street named after a certain James Murray. I wonder whether it would make it too long to have - Ruby Murray's Street, that makes it very plain as to who she was. If it were possible to get that accepted I think most Fans/Friends would be quite pleased about that.

Seeing as Billy is in some way connected to the local powers that be perhaps we should ask him to put the idea forward.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Might get away with RUBYMURRAY STREET, rather than have a space.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thanks John for your contribution, it is most welcome. I am currently pressing to find out to whom we submit our request. I suggested to Billy Dickson that he might submit the request but I have also sent word to the Chairman of the committee asking for directions.

I will keep everyone posted,

Kindest regards.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

HI guys,

The problem with Ruby Murray's Street is it is quite dificult to say, so I would be in favour of RubyMurray street. There are streets in Manchester named after people with spaces between their first and last names so I think it can be done.

Best wishes to all and glad to see you on here John. Hope you are well.

Martin.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

Hoprefully I am not breaking any rules by posting exchanges between myself, Billy Dickson,and the local autorities in Belfast. As yet no final decision has been made about the exact name, that can be made later. Here in full is the latest exchange: -

Dear Bernie.
The following is from the Belfast City Council Website. Once planning
permission is given (possibility between October and December) we can make
an application for the name. Even if the Design Team were to suggest another
name ( I have no reason to think they would) you could submit the name 'Ruby
Murray's Street'. I will let you know when we get planning permission.
Regards,
Billy

Street naming
We're legally responsible for the naming of streets and numbering of
properties within Belfast.

Developers, architects and estate agents are responsible for making
applications to us for the naming of new streets. We process these
applications and prepare reports for approval by the council.

When the streets are officially named, then all relevant organisations and
persons are informed and the properties are numbered.

It's very important that the naming and numbering of streets is carried out
at the early stage of a new development so that the new home owners have the
correct address when they move in and this also helps the emergency services
when responding to emergencies.

We are also responsible for the re-numbering of properties where required.
Street signs and dual-language signage
We're responsible for the erection and maintenance of street signs within
the Belfast area. When a request for dual language signs is received, we'll
carry out a survey and providing a majority of residents within a particular
street or road, want to have dual language signage, the signs will be
erected.

----- Original Message -----
To: <billy.dickson@ntlworld.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: "Ruby Murray Street"

I will keep everyone posted but for now,

Adios Amigos. Bernie

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thanks Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

It is with great sadness that I must report that Ruby's old house at 84 Moltke Street has been DEMOLISHED. Our friend Billy Dickson sent me an email with the news and a series of photos, one of which was the gaping hole where Ruby's house once stood. I tried to print the picture off but to add to my dismay my Printer has also decided to come to the end of it's life. I have contacted Billy and enquired whether he would be kind enough to send me a copy of the actual shot via snail mail so that it can be uploaded to the website.

I will post a website address seperately for anyone who might like to log on to see the sad end of part of Ruby's life story. I must add that it is not a pretty sight and I openly admit to viewing the sad scene with tears in my eyes. "Forgive them for they know not what they do"

Adios Amigos. Bernie.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Here is a copy of the email I received from Billy Dickson which includes the website address where to view the scene. Log on and click on to 'Latest News' and scroll right through to the last item. There are quite a number of different photos and 84 Moltke Street is the last one.

Dear Bernie,
Go to www.blackstaff-residents.org.uk and see the 'Latest News' page'
Sad!
Regards,
Billy