Ruby and the Duke,

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Lorraine

Re: Ruby and the Duke,

Post by Lorraine »

Hello everybody

I am a new member and have joined as a direct result of seeing Ruby and the Duke on RTE this week. To be quite honest, I knew nothing about Ruby before the show, although I had heard her name. I live in southern Ireland (Dundalk) and I was born in 1964, so Ruby was at the height of her fame in my parent's youth. I can't tell you how touched I was by her story. I have watched the show about four times since on RTE Player and have discussed Ruby with my parents and other relatives since, who all remember her fondly. I loved the early footage of the young Ruby at the start of her career. I was particularly touched by her whirlwind romance and her love for Bernie. Such a lovely story. I was shocked to learn of her struggles in later life, although I am sure that in less than one hour, many of the more difficult times for her family and friends were left out. Either way it was a beautiful documentary. Duke Special was a very respectful and articulate narrator and his admiration for Ruby was very apparent. The show really touched me and I have to admit I was deeply affected by the way alcohol had such an impact on the life of such a really beautiful, gentle and quite shy young woman. The only thing is that it left me wanting to know much more about this wonderful woman and her life. I hope I have not bored you all with my ramblings. I am delighted to be a member of this site. Lorraine x

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello Lorraine, and welcome to the website which is all things to do with Ruby. You will find here many pictures, stories and videos all donated by the fans who have become members here.
I think you have summed up in your posting many of the reasons why we too are fond of this lady. I was just 14 when she came on our televisions and I was just struck by her lovely voice and charming, shy manner in front of the cameras. You will also find here many postings by Bernie himself, and we are most grateful for the amazing way he is able to fill us in on the most minute details of his life with Ruby.
I haven't yet had a chance to see the show, but I do know all about it from having met Duke Special himself when he came to Blackpool to interview Bernie. I shall look forward to that pleasure one day.
Gerald

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

I'd like to second Gerald's welcome Lorraine as someone who also discovered Ruby's unique musical talent through the "Ruby and the Duke" project and it's very gratifying to see well over a thousand views of this thread! I'd say most people who saw the show on RTE were left wanting to know more about Ruby and this is the place to start. I can't recommend the Ruby Anthology CD collection highly enough to get to the heart of her music although I have also collected a few vinyl albums to get an idea of the original sound of the time. As Gerald has mentioned the website library has a good collection of her discography, photos, lyrics etc., that you might wish to explore.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Lorraine, I too would like to welcome you to the website, you must be warned it is full of information about Ruby, also plenty of song samples to listen too, If you get stuck finding your way round just post a message and one of us will sort you out.

I did happen to see most of the show "Ruby & The Duke" it was posted on a website about the Duke, but it was quickly deleted, I suppose because of copy rights. It was nice to see Ruby singing I remember today, she really belted it out at the end, but I missed what she was singing in the red dress at the end because the program froze, perhaps you could tell me what song it was.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hello Lorraine,

Welcome to the webiste and glad you enjoyed the Duke show. There is also a biography of Ruby available from and written by Bernie which gives an even deeper insight into the rollercoaster life of Ruby. You can obtain it by emailing Bernie for the details.

Best wishes.

Martin.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

A message for J,K, from many miles away,

The song that Ruby sings (whilst wearing the red dress) is Óne Day at a Time the song that Lena Martell enjoyed great success with.

By the way John. I can now see why you enjoyed Lanzarote, We are having a great time.

Kindest regards.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie,

Was red one of Ruby's favourite colours? She wore red on the Wogan show and also on the "Songbirds" DVD singing "Softly, softly". Could "One day at a time" be from the same show?

Best wishes.

Martin

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, Thanks for that info. Am I right in thinking these are the words to that song.
I'm only human, I'm just a woman.
Help me believe in what I could be
And all that I am.
Show me the stairway, I have to climb.
Lord for my sake, teach me to take
One day at a time.

Chorus:
One day at a time sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you.
Just give me the strength
To do everyday what I have to do.
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord help me today, show me the way
One day at a time.

Do you remember, when you walked among men?
Well Jesus you know if you're looking below
It's worse now, than then.
Cheating and stealing, violence and crime
So for my sake, teach me to take
One day at a time.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Yes John, you are right. Well done!

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

I've posted this assessment of "Ruby and the Duke" from Radio Ulster's Stuart Baille on dukespecial.com and here - it's short so I've put it here in full
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/stuartbailie/
"I enjoyed the Ruby Murray documentary on Tuesday night with Duke Special. The RTE production didn't sensationalise, but it did show the pain of an artist who had a dramatic year in 1955 and a most traumatic 40 year decline. Pop music is often brutal to its biggest stars, consuming and then rejecting, and the girl from the Donegall Road was severely used up. Alcoholism may have been latent in her system, but the showbiz experience amplified everything.

There were two especially resonant moments. Firstly when Ruby's old husband Bernie recalled seeing Ruby again after a period of estrangement, when the drink had wreaked a lot of damage. The poor guy broke down at the memory of it. Then Duke added his own perspective. For a working musician, he explained, every night has the potential to be Saturday night. For better or worse... "

Although I'm just quoting I hope Bernie will forgive the unflattering description - the show would have been greatly impoverished without him.

It was a bitter-sweet story - professionally for Ruby and every other major singer/crooner as Paul Gambuccini made clear. I agree with those that were disappointed that the time constraint meant important omissions. My hope is that RTE might release an extended "Director's cut" DVD with longer sections of Ruby singing and interviews with other friends and fans that were important to her.

Gerald Lawrence

Looks like a good review, thank you for posting.
Gerald

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

Thanks Gerald,

I'm getting confused with what I post on dukespecial.com and here and realised that I overlooked posting a better review of Ruby and the Duke in the Herald.ie "Duke’s fond tribute to a singing gem" - couldn't put it better myself.
http://tinyurl.com/RubyHerald

There were some unfortunate disparaging comments by Sean Coyle on the Gerry Anderson show (Ulster radio) where he said that the show was "all about him (Duke Special)" which I thought was untrue and said so in this thread
http://www.dukespecial.com/forums/showt ... #post62313
although I would agree that the show wasn't long enough!

PS
The link for the Ulster TV player for the Seven Thirty magazine show tonight (27th Jan) at 7:30pm already mentioned on the board is here http://www.u.tv/whats-on/ (with live online player link or watch again)
I don't know how much time Duke will get but we'll be watching!

Gerald Lawrence

Please see my posting under the 7.30 Show thread.
Gerald

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

Getting very excited about this show - several of us are headed out from the UK to meet up with Irish fans tomorrow. Massive anticipation for the first half which will be Ruby songs and very hopeful that it will be recorded. RTERadio have released a rehearsal video already for one of Duke Special's own songs from the second half of the show "Digging an Early Grave" http://www.youtube.com/user/RTERadio1#p ... jmgho5UBsQ
Fingers crossed for the whole show to come!

An interview just posted!
"Ahead of their 'Ruby and the Duke' concert series together (featuring the music of Ruby Murray), Duke Special and RTÉ Concert Orchestra conductor David Brophy talk to Linda McGee"

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0201/dukespecial.html

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

We're just back from Dublin and loved the RTE show.
I've made a fuller review here
http://www.dukespecial.com/forums/showt ... #post62364
but thought that the Ruby setlist would be of interest

01 Ain’t That A Grand And Glorious Feeling?
02 Heartbeat
03 Happy Days and Lonely Nights
04 Button Up Your Overcoat (May Kay)
05 Real Love (real love)
06 Smile (Mary Coughlan)
07 When I Grow Too Old to Dream (Mary Coughlan)
08 I’ll Come When You Call
09 Jimmy Unknown (May Kay)
10 Boy Meets Girl (Ruby with Norman Wisdom - Duke and May Kay)
11 Passing Strangers
Finale - Softly Softly (Arthur Murphy)

I've really enjoyed discovering and listening to Ruby's songs as a result of this project and I do hope that the interpretations by contemporary artists will encourage many others to do the same.