Ruby and the Duke,

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Ruby and the Duke,

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I'd like to update everyone on the subject of the forthcoming documentary which incidentally is to be called 'RUBY and the DUKE' The producer will be Andrea McCartney and the director is Michael Beattie. Michael flew from Belfast to see me and to go through my collection of photographs and other memorabilia. He called at my flat on Sunday and spent a few hours with me familiarizing me with what Hardy Pictures have in mind and how he intends to set about the task. On Monday he arrived armed with his portable laptop, a scanner and hard drive with the intention of scanning as many photos as possible so that he had plenty of choice to draw upon. In total he scanned 178 photos but that will not be the final total. Obviously the photos will be selected and the final number will be a carefully chosen few. The intention is for me to meet up with him and the producer, Andrea, in Blackpool in July when the filming will take place, including an interview with me.

Michael was keen to point out to me why and how Duke Special was chosen to narrate and interweave his personal contribution. When approaching television companies viewing figures are the most important item to consider. As we, the fans, realise, the generation that surrounded Ruby and all the other artistes of her era has now dwindled to an ever reducing numbers so it is vital to appeal to the younger generations. Duke has that appeal and therefore will hopefully draw the younger viewing audience. Duke has great admiration for Ruby's generation of artistes and apparently his 'live' performances are influenced by them.

I hope that by now most 'friends' will have seen the new David Whitfield D.V.D. My personal recollection of that particular television appearance was almost nil, I couldn't recall much about the show at all. As I always did, when viewing I felt for Ruby very much as she had to descend those 3 steps on her entrance, she was terrified. To add to her nerves was the fact that it was difficult for her to hear and pick up on the musical 'intro' to her song. I immediately noticed that she had to use her elbows to pick up on the tempo. When it came to duetting with the J.B.s she blossomed. I have a vague recollection and rehearsing that routine with her and I was pleased that she sailed through it with ease.

My kindest regards to everyone.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Ruby and the Duke,

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I have just had a very nice telephone conversation with the show director, Michael Beattie. He asked me all about how I came to be a Ruby fan, and my involvement with this website, and about the friends I have made through it. He also wanted to know what photographs and memorabilia I have collected, and how many records and sheet music I have.
We then talked briefly about the show, and its star Duke Special. Everything he told me would indicate that the show should be something different, not just a presentation of Ruby and her life story, but also the effect her singing had on other people and their human involvement with her. Michael then asked if I would be available if needed to contribute to the show, and I have agreed - so I will need tips from Bernie on how to appear on TV :D
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald,

I do hope that you are in the union. Which reminds me, I've just seen the drummer sharpening a pencil - thats a carpenter's job isn't it?

P.S. I will help you with the make-up Gerald .

((I am about to try again with terra.es to see why your emails are not getting through to me. It's quite strange because all other emails ARE getting through))

I

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

I wonder if Michael will be contacting Val Doonican for his input or any other Irish singers from Ruby's era, in particular Belfast-based Irish songbird Bridie Gallagher?

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I am just back from an overnight visit to Blackpool for the production company to film my contribution to this programme. Firstly, I have to say that I found Duke Special a very nice person to chat with, and with a keen interest in the life of our dear singer Ruby. I asked him how he came to be involved, and it seems he became aware of her through material contained in City Hall, Belfast but admitted he had no idea of who she was or what her achievements were. But as he interviewed me it was clear that he has done lots of homework. He really did focus on the element of what it was like to be a Ruby Murray fan in the mid-50s, and how we perceived Ruby and how she reacted to the fans. He wanted me to tell him all the personal stories that related to me being a fan. I seemed to have talked for over 2 hours, so there is plenty of material from which to extract the short contribution which I expect I will make to the programme. I even apologised for taking up so much time, but the producer and director convinced me that they wanted plenty of stories from which to choose the best.

The video was made inside a typical old style record shop that was stacked full of LPs, cassettes and 45 rpm records (but no 78s that I noticed) so was a perfect location in which to reminisce. I took with me all my LPs and sheet music, plus (as I no longer have my own) the Fan Club badge and membership card that once belonged to Molly Battersby. I also had my signed copy of the Softly, Softly 78 rpm record and one or two other bits to show him. I gave a couple of plugs for our website, and Duke promised to make a link from his website to ours.

Rosemary came with me, and we had a good time meeting up with Bernie, whom we left to start filming his contribution in and around Blackpool. He seemed to be in good health generally and was also developing a good art of remembering the old times when he and Ruby first met in Blackpool, in readiness for his spell of filming.

The show will air first on RTE, the main Irish TV channel, but hopefully at a later date it may appear elsewhere, perhaps in Northern Ireland. Not because I want to see myself, but because I want to see how the main theme is carried.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.
I would like to update you by giving a brief story of my flight to Blackpool for filming interviews for the documentary. On the day I arrived I was on my own, the Director, Michael Beattie, was due to fly in from Belfast the next day. I took the opportunity to look up a very old friend of mine who has been in showbusiness all his long life, he is 85yrs old. HIs name is 'Slim' Ingram, he has been living in Blackpool for a number of years. We met at The Big Blue Hotel where we were all staying and we chatted for several hours.

The following day Michael Beattie arrived and suggested that we toured around Blackpool to pick out places that had a connection with Ruby and I so that the next day, when the Cameraman, the Sound Recordist and the Producer arrived we could commence filming immediately. Let me emphasize right away that from an entertainment stand point Blackpool has dramatically changed out of all recognition. There are no summer season shows at all only one niters. I can recall at least 12 major venues that staged summer season shows that were there for around 20 to 30 weeks of the summer season. I think Ruby and I did around 26 weeks at the North Pier, now it only has an asortment on one nite stands.
In readiness for the first day of filming, Andrea, the Producer of the documentary, had been in touch with Gerald and arranged for him to drive to Blackpool so that he could be interviewed by Duke. A decision was made to do Gerald's interview first. We had previously visited The North Pier, which happened to be closed due to high winds so we returned there the next day. We then went to find the hotel that I stayed in for the season - The North Bank Hotel, but that had been demolished. Next The Carlton Hotel where we held a reception after we were married.

I must break here, I am required at the meal table. Back soon to continue
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:47 am, edited 8 times in total.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.
Meanwhile, back in Blackpool.- A visit to The Opera House had been set up and I met up with Duke Special (Peter Wilson) for the very first time. What a charming man he is, so natural, extremely polite, respectful and easy to talk to. The Director set up a scene for Duke and I to walk on to the stage and chat, This theatre has, or had, the biggest seating capacity in the whole of Blackpool and every major star in the entertainment industry has been booked to appear there. On the outside hoarding there was no big spalsh of a colourful big stage production being staged for around 4 months during the summer, only a sad looking one niter by the female singer who was discovered' on the cruise ships - if I remember correctly her name was Jean McDonald(???) With every respect, hardly a substitute for a big West-end style Spectaculr Production. I tried to explain to Duke that dramatic changes have taken place since the 50s when thousands of families arrived in Blackpool and immediately queued up to book their tickets for the major theatres. They would book for the first house at one venue and book another venue for the second performance. Their entire week was taken up seeing one show after another. In that era people were seated in plush seats and were royally entertained with lavish productions with large casts, as opposed to today where the younger generations go to rock concerts, mostly unseated and are bombarded by a deafening concophany of ear splitting screaming guitars booming from banks of massive speakers which appear to be throbbing with the heavy drum beat, I could have been treading on very dangerous territory because Duke is well and truly a part of the modern day scene but he accepted my description without hesitation.
Before leaving that stage, Duke presented me with a momentum from the past - 3 programmes of various Sunday night concerts that The Jones Boys did back in the 50s. He also presented me with a sizeable box office card of the actual North PIer show that Ruby and I appeared in. - 1957 That same 1957 show was transferred the following year to Gt Yarmouth with the same cast. We, The Jones Boys, were booked to return to The Opera House in Blackpool to do some Sunday concerts. We had to drive the return journey, without motorways, do the two shows and return to Gt. Yarmouth .

Next a visit to The Imperial Hotel where a room was arranged for us to do some filming. A brand new 'imitation' record player was set up for Duke to play some of Ruby's 78 records to me. He had managed to hunt some down and brought them along. We talked about each one as he played it . Moving on Duke put questions to me about the past and eventually we got round to talking about Ruby's 'problem' which I was willing to go into detail about. As we progressed I was discussing very delicate moments of the past. Regrettably I began to feel very emotional and at one point I had to call a halt, I became overcome with emotion and a break was necessary for me to regain control. The interview was completed and we were ready to move on.
We then went back to The North Pier to film at the entrance of the Pier and then we walked down the Pier, filming as we went. We expected the Pavilion Theatre to be closed but fortunately the stage door was open. We entered and found the Stage Manager in his office just inside the stage door. We asked permission to film and he obtained the required permission from the Pier Management and we walked on to the actual stage where we all performed in 1957. What a fantastic feeling to stand centre stage and gaze out into that auditorium again, waves of nostalgia came flooding back to me, it was very emotional.
I asked Duke whether he could imagine being transported back to that era and how he might feel. his reply is on film. Leaving the theatre we walked back along the Pier and then sat on the white metal backed seating that line the entire Pier and it was obvious that a lick of paint was drastically needed, not only on the seats but most everywhere on the Pier, it had the appearance of being decidedly run down and tired.
From the Pier we went to The Tower Ballroom for more filming. There was a dance session in progress with The Mighty Wurlitzer in full flow. I imagined Reginald Dixon seated on the Mighty Wurlitzer doing his weekly broadcast from The Tower Ballroom. The Ballroom itself is still beautifully ornate, as it has always been, but it seemed entirely out of place in this modern day and age. The Ballroom was always very popular with the ballroom dancers and I could imagine bands like those of Ted Heath, Joe Loss, Kenny Macintosh, Cyril Stapleton etc etc playing on that stage for a ballroom packed with dancers.

Another break is required here due to technicalities.

Adios Amigos.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie,

Hope you are well and enjoying your rollercoaster trip down memory lane. From what you have told us it sounds like we are in for a treat. Do you know if any further footage of Ruby has been discovered yet?

Take great care and God bless.

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Martin,

When we have finished with interviews in connection with - 'RUBY AND THE DUKE' I have several leads to follow up in the hope that one or two of them might respond to my enquiries. The big problem is the fact that we are enquiring about something that is over 50 years ago and most of the people in charge of Archives are usually young and are not all that keen in delving that far back. My main hope lies with the man at Odeon Entertainment, he is the one who unearthed the David Whitfield DVD which came from the A.T.V. archives and as I have said before, if that one was 'in the can' it's possible others are too. Will keep you and everyone updated as I go.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Good luck Bernie

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

When the end of filming in Blackpool came, I was told that there might be a call for more interviews to take place here in Spain. Of course the budget must be the deciding factor but I stand by just in case, Michael Beattie emailed me from Southern Ireland, where even more filming is taking place, to tell me that a debate will take place to discuss the budget but he will inform me of their decision. I must emphasize right here that the interviews are now very numerous in number and have taken nearly 4 days filming in Blackpool alone. Other filmed interviews will be added but bearing in mind that the documentary is an hour in length, drastic editing will need to take place so I expect only a few snatches here and there is all that will remain.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

charlie222

Post by charlie222 »

Hi Bernie

I probably should have started a new subject about Ruby but just wanted to tell you about my memories of Ruby. I think it was 1964 and Ruby was in Summer Season at the ABC in Gt Yarmouth with the Shadows. I was hooked, After that I was privileged to see Ruby again many times over the years in Gt Yarmouth. My memories of seeing Ruby always made me think what a kind person she was this was proved to me when Ruby was appearing at the Wellington Pier Pavillion late one season in her own show. She was staying at the Gordon Hotel, which was run by friends of mine, and was frequented by most of the Summer Show stars who were in town. The Hotel was opposite the Britannia Pier Theatre. This particular evening I was taking my Mum out for a meal, we called into the Hotel afterwards for a drink. I asked if Ruby had returned from the theatre as she had always been a favourite of my Mums. The owners said she was in their private lounge but it would be OK to call in. On the way out I called into the lounge and asked if Ruby had time to speak to my Mum, I had met Ruby prior to this at the Hotel, to say she was hospitable was to say the least. she welcomed my Mum in and they sat and chatted for a good hour at least. what a generous person she was with her time adn Bernie my Mum came out walking on air. Lond gone are the days of the long Summer Season with all those brilliant stars like Ruby but the one thing they cannot take away are memories.

Kindest Regards

Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Charlie 222 (Graham?)

Welcome to the site.

What a very nice nostalgic story you have given us, I am sure it will be read and appreciated by everyone. Great Yarmouth as a summer season resort was a big favourite of the performers of that era, they really were golden days indeed.

I know so very well about Ruby's openess with all of her fans, she was always most generous with her time and her conversation. I think the 1958 season was the most memorable one for me personally, we had only been married for a few months when that season started. I have memories of thronging crowds, both on the beaches and on the promenade. The show that we both appeared in was a very good one and the audiences were great. If only those days could return but sadly they are now forever part of the past, more is the pity.

Kindest regards. Bernie

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

Today I received an email from Michael Beattie, the director of 'Ruby and The Duke'. He tells me that everything is progressing very well and that he hopes to let me see a brief preview very soon. I shall look forward to that and I will happily report back to everyone on the Forum

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello 'Friends'

Yesterday I received some script from the Director - Michale Beattie, who asked me to view it and check it for correct facts, which I have done. He promised that i will be able to view a preview shortly but he considers that he should be with me when I view it and we will be arranging this meeting very soon.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.