Ruby and the Duke,

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Re: Ruby and the Duke,

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Welcome to you, Mr Fizzy and your wife, it is good to know that your interest in Duke is coupled with one in Ruby also. I hope you enjoy listening to her LPs and CDs. If you have a look around here, you will find lots of interesting pictures and articles, plus a complete listing of Ruby's songs in case you want to add to your collection of her recordings.

Thank you for posting the lovely picture of Ruby, it is one of my favourites also. Being just a bit older than you (!) I remember her when I was just 14 years old and seeing her looking like this when she appeared on stage and television. Ahh, it is great to look back on the good old days!
Gerald

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

Thanks for the welcome Gerald and I should point out that we are at the older end of the Duke Special fan range (I was one year old in 1955) although we've been made very welcome by his much younger teenage fans. Duke is also a huge fan of gramophone albums and we enjoy the warm crackle of vinyl as well as digital tracks by both artists. We shall have fun exploring rubymurray.org. It would be great if we can get the BBC to show the RTE "Ruby and the Duke" program UK-wide.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends

To bring everyone right up to date with the documentary, it may be best to reproduce the email that I received from Michael Beattie the director,- so here it is:-

Ola Amigo.
I hope you're well. Believe it or not, we still haven't quite finished!

First of all Peter was on tour and we had to wait for ages for him to record the voice-over. Also, he was unhappy with some of the shots of his performance, so he wanted those changes.Then my editor had moved onto another project (since our scheduled time with him had come to an end) and we had to wait several more weeks to get two days of his time to make these changes! We're just finishing that as I write. So we still have another two days to do the technical bits and pieces to mix the audio etc., and then a further day to 'grade' the pictures and make them look as good as possible. It's certainly been a long-running project! However we are so very nearly at the end.

Our only conversation with Odeon Entertainment was to secure the rights to use the clips we included...Andrea did that.Perhaps once the programme is broadcast, and we create a new level of interest in her career, some further pieces of archive may be forthcoming.I think RTE may even have another piece. Anyway, I will keep you advised of progress. And I haven't forgotten about returning your material...I'm still hoping I make be able to make a brief visit in December, but won't be sure for another few weeks.
Best wishes for now,
Michael
--
You have it straight from the horses mouth. I will keep everyone posted with progress.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends'
In the message from Michael Beattie he mentions the fact that R.T.E. may have some other television material on Ruby in their archives. I seem to recall that Ruby appeared on a Gay Byrne's television show from Dublin, perhaps that just might come to light? Another thought at the back of my mind is that Ruby and Brendan O'Dowda did a television show for Irish Television - another possibility?

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys and girls,

Hope you are all well. My mother has been ill so I have not been on my laptop for quite a few weeks but as she is now improving I am able to get back online, particularly onto my favourite website.

Bernie, I am glad all seems to be going well with the documentary editing etc. Do you know if the programme will be released on DVD or anything yet? I think the Gay Byrne show you mentioned is The Late Late Show, a national insitution in Ireland and a programme that everybody watched. The early episodes were not recorded so will no longer be available but if the show Ruby appeared in was after about 1971 then we may be okay.

Mr and Mrs Fizzy, welcome to the Ruby website!

Best wishes.

Martin

PS: Welcome back John. I hope you are keeping well. Thank you for the link to Duke. I was surprised at how good he is! (Sorry Mr and Mrs Fizzy!)

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

Thank you Martin,

We just got back from two Duke Special gigs in Switzerland where he sang a lovely version of "Smile" accompanied by flugelhorn by our host Hanspeter! (no video sorry).

I believe that the Ruby tribute CD that Duke and the band have recorded for the very worthy DePaul Ireland Trust charity will be "Smile", "Happy Days and Lonely Nights" and "I'll Come When You Call". I'll post an update as soon as I hear more.

There is a tribute to notable Northern Ireland musicians and a display case for Ruby Murray at the Oh Yeah! music studio in Belfast if any fans find themselves in the area http://www.ohyeahbelfast.com/ :D
Last edited by MrFizzy on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

Sorry to reply to self, but just found this youtube link to Duke Special singing "Smile" from the Iveagh Theatre, Banbrige NI this Saturday! (30th Oct 2010) :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2QCvur5GRo

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

Sorry to reply to self yet again but this is very exciting news :)

Duke Special will be paying a fulsome tribute to Ruby with the RTE concert orchestral in Dublin on Wed 2nd Feb 2011!
http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performanc ... Ruby-.aspx
02 February 2011 08:00 PM - MAIN AUDITORIUM
Duke Special
Mary Coughlan, special guest
RTÉ Concert Orchestra
David Brophy, conductor
The bold and brilliant Duke Special makes a personal journey through the life and work of one of Ireland’s most successful performing artists, Ruby Murray. With special guests including Mary Coughlan, this concert dedicated to Ruby and her era features Duke Special’s interpretations of her work, as well as music of his own, all delivered with his inimitable style. A unique evening to open the RTÉ Concert Orchestra Signature Series 2011.

Several of us will be making the trip from the UK and happy to meet up :)

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you for that, Mr Fizzy! Duke seems to be making a supreme effort to keep Ruby's name alive, and we are all grateful for that.

I won't be able to make the trip as it is a day before we are due to go away, but I hope all goes well and that you find some more fans at the concert.
Gerald

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

I doubt that anyone is suggesting that the talents of Ray Martin or Norrie Paramour and least of all Ruby's performance can be "recreated" but this will get a new audience to appreciate her work and think of more than curry!
Arranging the new orchestrations will be a challenge, but I can say that Duke is no stranger to performing with orchestras and is indeed heading the bill in support of the Ulster Orchestra in Belfast just a few days after the Ruby tribute on 12th Feb 2011!
http://www.ulsterorchestra.com/concert/ ... &year=2011

The spotlight of our dreadful economic times is on Ireland at the moment, and I can't help thinking that there will be a National wave of nostalgia for happier, less materialistic times. I've been listening to the wonderful Ruby Anthology collection a lot recently and honestly believe that this is a good time for a resurgence of Ruby's style of music.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I have been studying the dates of the concerts connected to Ruby and I find that it's apparent that I will not be able to fly to Dublin, or Belfast, as I have a long winter holiday booked in Lanzarote from January 7th and I will need to use the return flight from there. Obviously I would have loved to have been available but other than cancelling the winter holiday I am committed. Thank you Mr Fizzy for all the information, I am sure everyone connected to the website appreciate the information that you have supplied.

I have had an email from Michael Beattie, the director of 'Ruby and the Duke', he is making arrangement to fly to Spain to return all of my photos and other data after his current commitments on another documentary. I do hope that someone with connections with Southern Ireland will be able to see the transmission when it happens and give us all a full report. I'm getting quite excited by the whole event, wouldn't it be wonderful if there was an increase in interest for Ruby's music. Dare I say that it would be a tremendous relief from 'some' of today's music (???)

My very best wishes, Adios Amigos, Bernie.

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

It's a shame that yourself and Gerald will not be able to make the Ruby and the Duke show in Dublin on Feb 2nd but also very understandable to get away from this dreadful weather! I should note that the Belfast show Feb 12th is not specifically dedicated to Ruby, although there must surely be a dedication to her in her own home town, hopefully at a more clement time of year.

I have been listening with great pleasure to the superb Ruby anthology collection and a few vinyl albums I've acquired. I'll be very honest and say they are not all to my taste, but the musical professionalism and Ruby's peerless voice makes them all worth listening to, and there are a selection that are truly outstanding by any standard.

We've been missing for a while as he has been on a huge tour of the USA (LA, NY, Colarado, Kansas, Georgia), is back in Belfast this week then a brief European tour! We're very excited to see "Ruby and the Duke" on RTE and his orchestral adventures in February. :D

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

GREAT NEWS FRIENDS,

Here is a copy of an email that I received this morning from Michael Beattie, the Director of 'RUBY AND THE DUKE'

From Michael Beattie - Director - 'RUBY and the Duke'.

Well, signor?
I trust you are and that all in your garden is rosy.
RTE have now confirmed transmission of Ruby & The Duke on January 18th at 22.15.
(RTE is available to UK Sky TV viewers on channel 161.)
And what's more, plans are afoot for Duke to do a concert in February with the RTE orchestra, featuring some Ruby songs!
They're keeping the detail of that close to their chest at the moment, so I know no more.
I've had no further contact with Hardy Pictures in London, but I will be dining with Andrea McCartney on Thursday evening and may glean some more.
I'll copy the DVD for you this evening and get it in the post tomorrow.
No further work for me yet...next year looks thin at the moment.
Hope to make it your way in the new year, when I can return the more valuable items.

Best wishes for now,
Michael.

Friends,

Although I am not the actual instigator of this project I was delighted to have made considerable contributions by way of a large number of personal photographs and other data from my memorabilia, the full and detailed story of Ruby's life and our marriage together, along with many interviews. Obviously, due to the length of time allocated to the documentary, my interviews and those made by others, in particular those given by Gerald Lawrence, were subjected to inevitable editing to reduce what turned out to be over 30 hours of interviews down to 58 mins, 60 mins with comercials time.

I feel a sense of achievement and satisfaction when I look back on what has been achieved in a matter of a few eventful years, i.e. Firstly the book - 'Ruby...My Precious Gem', then the E.M.I. boxed set of C.D.s,- The Golden Anniversary Collection,( with contributions from Gerald Lawrence, and Brian Henson) the commemorative plaque in Befast and now the full length T.V.documentary. Many contributions were made by several of Ruby Murray fans along the way i.e. Graham Bunn, so we can all look back wth great pleasure and a sense of achievment, I am sure Ruby will be looking down on the whole picture with contentment and a pleasing smile..

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

MrFizzy

Post by MrFizzy »

That's wonderful news Bernie - we don't have Sky but I'm hoping we can find friends that do and make a little party of the occasion. Even better if one of the UK BBC/ITV channels pick it - they should do - they broadcast far less worthy material to fill up airtime!

I'm very keen to see Duke and Mary Coughlan's choice and interpretation of Ruby's songs with the RTE orchestra in February in Dublin. I sincerly trust that RTE don't miss the opportunity to record and broadcast this event as well.

One of the Duke fans, DawnS posted this link to the National Concert Hall - beautiful venue
http://www.nch.ie/Your-Visit/Virtual-Tour.aspx

:D

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the info. Must see if I can get somebody to record the programme for me.

Best wishes.

Martin.