Ruby at the Monarch Laundry?

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
irishrover

Ruby at the Monarch Laundry?

Post by irishrover »

In 1952-53 I lived on Thames Street Belfast, I was 14 years old and about to start my first job. That of van boy at the Monarch Laundry on the Donegal Rd. My question -did Ruby once work at the same laundry and did she live somewhere around the corner from the laundry. I was told in my first week at work that she used to work at the laundry and several girls in the pressing room claimed to know her. I'm curious to know if this was true? at the time of course being a naive young boy I believed most things I was told!! I look forward to some clarification????

Bernie Burgess

Re: Ruby at the Monarch Laundry?

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello to The Irish Rover

Welcome, to the Ruby Murray website. I do hope that you will stay around and do plenty of exploring, there is so much of interest to discover.
Regarding your question in connection with Ruby working at a laundry, I am sorry to tell you that I think you have been given some incorrect information. Ruby's jobs included working at a sweet shop, where she ate so many sweets by the end of the week she owed them money. A handkerchief making company and a company that made jam tarts which turned out to be an hilarious story.

There could possibly be a connection I suppose with the handkerchief factory if they had an associated business but that is only a small possibility perhaps. I will get in contact with Ruby's life long friend - Marie Murphy to see if she can help with any other information.

Kindset Regards. Bernie.

irishrover

Post by irishrover »

Thanks Bernie, I have never been sure of the laundry story, however I do believe she lived near the laundry which was located on the Donegal Road very close to the corner of Broadway Ave (Broadway Mills) Last time I was home the old laundry building was still there but closed and derelict.

irishrover

Post by irishrover »

I think I have answered my own question! Ruby did indeed live very close to the Monarch Laundry when she lived on Benburb Street.