Norman Wisdom has passed away.

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Norman Wisdom has passed away.

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

You may have heard in the news that sadly Norman Wisdom has died today, aged 95. I have always felt that he was a great influence on Ruby during the London Palladium show and may even have had a hand in getting her a place in it when the artistes were being considered. He was a great favourite in our house and my mother particularly liked his singing voice, so it was with no hesitation that she and Dad agreed to take me to the Palladium on the opening night of "Painting The Town".

It was also a good choice to buy the joint record they made ("Boy Meets Girl"/"Two Rivers") because mum and I listened to it constantly, albeit for different reasons. By chance I met Norman one day some years ago during a visit to Hawes, Yorkshire. I am happy to say that he was very pleased when I just walked up to him, shook his hand, and thanked him for all the laughter and song he had given us over the years.

He was a lovely man, a great comedian, and I hope he is now at peace after a difficult last few years of his life.
Gerald

Teddy O'Neil

Re: Norman Wisdom has passed away.

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

So sorry to hear of the passing of Norman Wisdom - a truly unique talent, fondly remembered, particularly for his association with Ruby. As Gerald has reminded us he had a successful run with Ruby at the London Palladium in the 50's.
On a recent visit to London I went to a show at the Palladium and noticed outside the theatre there is a billboard containing the names of all the famous artistes who have appeared at the theatre. This was difficult to read in the short time available to me as it contained numerous names and they were not in alphabetical or chronilogical order.While I noticed Norman Wisdom I could find no reference to Ruby Murray though the names of many lesser stars appeared.

Has anyone else read this billboard and has Ruby's name been accidentally omitted?

Regards, Teddy O'Neil

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Regrettably it has been many years since I visited the Palladium but the next time I go to London I will make a point of viewing the exterior to check whether Ruby's name appears there.

My thoughts on Sir Norman Wisdom. He was undoubtedly a thorough professional, always a stickler for, not only detail but perfection in everything he did and from those who worked with him. I first saw him in a touring show in around 1950ish. From memory, the show had a circus connection and Norman threaded the show together with various appearances throughout. One of his appearances involved rolling out a huge carpet, perhaps for the act that was about to come on stage, but he extracted an enormous amount of comedy and laughter from the audience in carrying out what would obviously have been a simple task. His comedy brain proved to be one of his greatest assets. An absolute master of slapstick comedy and his 'tumbling' was incredible. Ruby and Norman had a very happy relationship which lasted way beyond the end of the Palladium show, they kept in contact for many years. His influence on other performers was immense, the ill fitting jacket and the cap, his trade mark, were used extensively by many impressionists over the years.

In today's world of entertainment, the comedy used is invariably instant, under rehearsed and badly timed, whereas comedy routines from the past were devised, rehearsed, honed and polished until they were absolute perfection, the result was that they can be seen even now and rated as masterpieces of comedy entertainment.

Norman was a giant amongst giants of comedy entertainment and although he is no longer around he will never be forgotten. May he rest in peace. -
God bless you Sir Norman.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi, just to add my little bit. Norman was a great guy I met him with Ruby At the Palladium and he would not let Ruby talk he kept butting in with jokes. Regarding the photo of Ruby at the Palladium it use to be on the staircase half way up on the right hand side, and was there for many years.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John,

Now that you have pointed to the fact that there is mention of Ruby on an interior wall at the Palladium I can remember seeing that myself but it must have been there for a very long time.

Good to see you posting again John but take it easy, don't overdo it.

Kindest regards. Adios Amigo. Bernie.