Post by Mytc »

HAVE A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY BERNIE, MY HOW TIME FLIES !!! :roll:
'Que Sera Sera'

Tomorrow is another day.

Bernie Burgess

Re: HERE.S TO ANOTHER ONE BERNIE !

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thanks Ross.

It is very kind of you to remember me, not only on my birthday but frequently. It seems light years ago since we were all appearing in the same shows in the early 50s. I can still picture in my mind that fantastic line of 16 girls, including yourself, all in white satin uniforms performing The Phanton Guard. Then of course there was the Military routine on the staircase with twirling sticks, - brilliant!

I think perhaps for the benefit of my friends here on the website I should explain a little bit about 'The Phanton Guard'. It is supposedly based on a dream by an elderly colonel as he sleeps in an armchair dreaming of former battles. The routine starts with the stage completely blacked out, even secondary lighting is switched off for this routine . The 16 girls were lined up in complete darkness behind black velvet curtains. As the special music starts the black curtains are opened and the line of 16 girls in white satin uniforms, white satin full length capes, white leather knee length boots and with large white plume feathers rising high above their tall military hats, slowly and eerily move downstage. When they are about half way dark blue footlights are faded in very slowly. The whole image is like a dream. More dark blue lighting is added as they move towards the footlights By now the whole image has gradually come into view.The girls perform a military routine, including with their rifles and with the precision of a company of soldiers. When their routine is complete the whole picture goes into reverse and the soldiers move slowly upstage as the dark blue lighting begins to fade. They gradually fade out of sight as the mysterious music comes to an end. The black curtains are drawned across and the whole image has disappeared. The black curtains are re-opened and side stage red lights are switched on and the girls are revealed in full view and they are given a rousing round of applause. A truly brilliant routine, brilliantly conceived, and brilliantly performed by brilliant precision dancers.

I don't think I have ever seen a better routine - I still 'dream' about it even now,

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

All the best from Rosemary and me too, on another birthday - they do come round quite quickly now, don't they?
You posting is so interesting and typical of the way you have used your excellent memory to provide us all with a never ending stream of fascinating show biz information.

Long may it continue! A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Gerald

Mytc

Post by Mytc »

Gosh Bernie, thanks for the memory, that took me back quite a few years. I had a couple of photographs of that particular routine, if one of the days i can delve into the archives and retrieve it, will send you a copy. Hope you had a good birthday. :D
'Que Sera Sera'

Tomorrow is another day.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thanks Ross.

I shall look forward to the possibility of seeing a copy of those photos. I have talked about that routine to many people over the years. Florence Whiteley's Zio Angels were a vital part of Variety and Revue for many years. I can still remember quite a few of the girl's names, even today, due to the fact that I was an impressionable 15yrs old lad when I toured with my Father with a Sam Newsome revue called 'Skylights' with George Doonan, Freddy and Partner and The Ganjou Brothers and Juanita and Tommy Dee (The Tommy Cooper of his day) That was in 19 hundred and frozen to death. Ruby would have been creating quite a stir in Ireland around that time, she would have been about 8 yrs old child performer singing in concerts and local Parochial Halls, a star waiting to be born.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Happy belated birthday Bernie and hope you are keeping well.

Best wishes.

Martin