Urgent Please Read - Bogus Members

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Urgent Please Read - Bogus Members

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello Friends,
it seems we have been discovered by software that detects websites such as ours, and as a result we have a number of new members who would not appear to be interested in Ruby Murray. In fact, some of them have already posted in the last couple of weeks, and generally their comments are not nice at all and should not be seen on this website.
I have the powers to delete and ban them, but I cannot be here 24 hours a day. The simplest approach is if you find something that we do not want, send me a Private Message - that will notify me by email and I will take action to remove it as soon as possible. It makes life easier if you please do not add any comments to the unwanted new message, as when I delete the member I can delete all reference to the thread at the same time. If any one of you posts a comment, then the thread does not get deleted and I have to take separate action. Very often the title of the new message is quite nasty.
Thanks for all your help in stamping out this unwanted intrusion.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Re: Urgent Please Read - Bogus Members

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thanks Gerald for informing us about these cheeky buggers!

Gerald Lawrence

Just a reminder that while I am away there may be more of the unwanted messages appearing.

Please ignore them.

I have made this thread into a "Sticky" so that it will always remain at the top of our thread list.

To Visitors interested in Ruby Murray:

Please take no notice of the rude and irrelevant messages that very often have strange titles. It goes without saying that on no account should you click on any links to the websites that they post here. Just concentrate on the nice things you will find, including all the lovely pictures and stories in our Library. We are going to take permanent action to prevent bogus people from registering on this tribute website to a lovely lady singer.

They are doing so in contravention of our membership rules, and there may be a case for taking out an injunction with a view to making a prosecution of their activities. I will be looking into this possibility.
Gerald

rockyqld

Post by rockyqld »

It looks like they have been very busy Gerald there is in excess of 2 full pages that need deleting.
It is a pity that you get so many idiots on the net
Cheers
Bill & Mary

Jk

Post by Jk »

Thank goodness for that, we have our site back.
Thanks Gerald.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thank you Gerald --- for clearing the 'imposters' from our cherished site. I was quite sickened by the mass invasion of rude postings, especially as it happened at a time when we had generated quite a lot of new interest through viewers seeing the new documentary. I sincerely hope that all new viewers who may have been turned off by the rudeness will return to enjoy our friendly/family site.

On a personal note - I hope that you enjoyed your railway journey through Switzerland, it is a very beautiful country, - pity they have so much snow BBBRRRRR!!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 week visit to Lanzarote, so much so we are considering going back again next January.

Adios Amigo. Bernie

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thanks Gerald for ridding us of this vey unwelcome invasion!

Martin

Gerald Lawrence

I was quite shocked when I got back and saw how many pages of rubbish had been added, but it is all nice and clean now.
Thank you for your kind words.
Gerald

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

The site is looking good. You've all been doing a great job!

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Timmer,

Nice to see you how are you keeping?

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Timmer.

My personal thanks for coming to our rescue. Gerald has performed in his usual efficient manner and 'cleaned' up the Forum but your interception is also most welcome. I was very upset by this invasion of extreme rudeness because I am fully aware that we all feel strongly that we are a very happy breed who are all involved in an honest, polite, family type of website and reject any type of unwelcome crudity. I did notice that postings from Rumania were amongst the countries from which postings were apparently coming. I sincerely hope that your actions will drastically reduce the possibility of this type of ugly intrusion happening again. I fully appreciate that you cannot eliminate all of this nasty business but we look forward to returning to our normal tranquil and enjoyable family type website. - THANKS TIMMER.

Adios Amigo. Bernie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Bernie Burgess wrote:Gerald has performed in his usual efficient manner and 'cleaned' up the Forum ...
You're welcome!

Gerald has done an admirable job! It's an endless fight. Hopefully I'll be able to take some of the load off by blocking some of the sources. I'm going to try!

--Timmer

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Tim, thanks for getting back to us all, glad you are going to try and sort this mess out for us. knew I could rely on you.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

I just want to add my thanks here to JK who is acting as our policeman. Without fail, every day if he spots anything unusual he takes the trouble to send me an email warning me, so that as soon as I see it I can take action.
Thank you John.
Gerald

Johnny Mac

Post by Johnny Mac »

First of all apologies for not posting on the site for quite a while, both my wife and myself have had a few health problems over the last year or so, but I'm delighted to say that 'normal service has been resumed'. I looked in to the site occasionally just to keep a check on it. I have to say I didn't see any of the offensive posts mentioned, but I wonder how they can put the posts onto the site without going through the proper registration? If they have registered then surely their details would be known to the administrator. If that is the case I wouldn't hesitate in reporting them to the relevant authorities. As I mentioned in earlier posts I had the great privilege of working with Ruby on a number of shows when she came back over to Northern Ireland between 1978-1980, and these are memories that will always stay with me. Regards to all and hope that you are all in good health. John McMaster (Johnny Mac).