Ruby On The Radio

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

Ruby On The Radio

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hello Ruby Fans,

I would like to bring to your attention a radio programme called "The Iconic Fifties".....This is being presented by Desmond Carrington on Tuesday evenings at 10.0.clock........The first programme will be presenting Alma Cogan and Larry Adler.

I have been in touch with the producer of this programme Dave Aylott to ask if Ruby would be featuring in any future broadcast and the wonderful news is that she it to be presented in this programme on Tuesday the 1st February so thats a date you should all keep in mind.

What a wonderful start to the new year , I have a friend in Ireland who informs me that the "Ruby And The Duke"special goes out on the 18th January at 10.15...........I'm sure Bernie will be well pleased when he hears this new.

Take Care
Graham.
Graham

Jk

Re: Ruby On The Radio

Post by Jk »

Hello Graham, thanks for that, way past my bed time though. Tuesday as you say "Ruby & The Duke goes out at 10.PM hopefully we can see it on Wednesday on http://www.rte.ie/player/
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

That is good news - about time Ruby had some more air time on radio!

But I would say that, wouldn't I!
Gerald

Gerald Lawrence

Just a reminder that as Graham has informed us, Ruby will be featured tonight on BBC Radio 2 at 10 pm in the Desmond Carrington show.

If you miss it, or don't see this reminder in time, try to find it within the next few days on BBC iPlayer. If I find it tomorrow, I will post a link to it.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello, hear is the link to the radio show, it starts off with a bit of the news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... l_Martino/
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Thank you John, you beat me to it!

A nice interview with Ruby, I thought (not the dreaded David Jacobs one!). Just a pity that we only heard two songs. I think I will write to the BBC to say that I am enjoying these 50s programmes, and ask if we could have a regular programme devoted to such music.
Gerald

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I agree it was a delightful interview by John Hannam. Does anyone know when it was recorded, or on which programme it was originally broadcast? Ruby sounded totally relaxed and gave excellent responses to Hannam's questions about her career. John Hannam is not a name I'm familiar with, but as we've already heard in the previous programmes, his archived interviews are being used regularly in Desmond Carrington's '50s Icons' series

Indeed I hope, as Gerald has suggested, that the powers at the Beeb will sanction another series in the future - and I must say that Desmond Carrington's regular guest presenter, Teddy Johnson, sounds quite youthful for all his 90+ years, and speaks with authority and excellent recall of the music world of the 1950s. He should be given a regular programme of his own.

Brian

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

I'm so pleased that all who heard the programme enjoyed it........The interview I had heard before but I am not sure of the year it was made........Gerald I have already sent my thanks to Desmond and Dave for the wonderful programme but I'm sure if you also sent your thanks it would help in keeping this kind of programme alive.

I agree with you Brian I have also mentioned how wonderful I think Teddy Johnson is( I think he is 91) bright as a button, the information he gives is so valuable as he worked with so many of the artists of the fifties.

Lets hope that these kind of programmes continue.
Take Care
Graham.
Graham

Teddy O'Neil

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Thanks to Graham for the link to the 'Iconic Fifties' programme. I missed the radio broadcast but was able to listen via the wonders of BBC iPlayer - such a treat to hear Ruby's speaking voice as well as her singing. Well done.

Cheers, Ted

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Brian and myself have been in touch with John and he has informed us that the radio interview was recorded in 1992.

Take Care
Graham.
Graham

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

I could listen to Ruby's voice forever even when she is just talking. Thanks for this.

Martin

Gerald Lawrence

I had a telephone call yesterday from another Ruby fan (David Mattison) who said that he was listening to BBC Radio Merseyside on Sunday afternoon and they featured an item about Russ Hamilton. He was the composer of the song "Little One" and they in fact played his recording of it from the early 50s.
So David telephoned in and reported that Ruby had recorded it, and that it was available on the EMI Anthology disc set. He is delighted to report that the presenter of the programme repeated all this information about Ruby over the air. I have tried to listen to the programme on BBC iPlayer but sadly this one is not available for listening again. But nevertheless, it is still good news to hear that Ruby has another mention on the radio.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

AHHH!! Memories of dear 'Petchuno" who gets mentioned in the lyric of 'Little One' (You are Mummies 'PETCHUNO' and your Daddy loves you so) Julie is the proud owner of 'Petchuno' and she in fact took him to Belfast with her when the unveiling of the plaque took place. I must look up the photo with him in it and see if it has ever been posted on the Forum.

Tomorrow is another one of those days when Ruby is prominent in my/our minds.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

How is Julie keeping these days Bernie and also Tim? Hope they are both well.

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Martin.

Julie and Tim are both well. Thanks.

Bernie.