Answers Re: Colin Keyes

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Answers Re: Colin Keyes

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.
There were questions and answers on the messageboard regarding Colin Keyes. Let me fill in some detail for those who asked the questions. I first met Colin Keyes when we (The Jones Boys) appeared on variety bill in the west end of London, at The Prince of Wales in November 1956. The bill included Hylda Baker, Peggy Ryan & Ray MacDonald (Peggy was Donald O'Connor's partner in a few films), Charlie Cairoli & Paul, Derek Roy, Morecambe & Wise, Jo Jack & Joni, Joe Church and Billie Anthony. Colin was playing piano for Billie Anthony. I was very impressed with Colin, he was a brilliant pianist.
Soon after Ruby and I were married she needed a pianist to do a tour with her, the ones she had used previously were unavailable to do it. I recommended Colin and he joined Ruby and he stayed with her for quite some time. He also undertook a C.S.E. tour with us too. He and Ruby combined to write 'I'm In Love With the Boy Next Door' and 'Hurry Home' both songs were published within the EMI group of companies.

He later joined Matt Monro for quite a while then he joined Bruce Forsyth and Bruce featured him as a 'deadpan' character (at the piano) and he became part of the show and was very funny. Later he joined Des O'Connor and was the Musical Director for several of Des O'Connor's series. He did all of the arrangements for all of the shows and was quite brilliant.

In more recent years Colin became ill and had to give up the Des O"Connor show to concentrate on arranging. He lived in Abingdon in Oxfordshire but now he seems to have retired somewhere else. I have tried to contact him by telephone but without success. Perhaps lady luck might take a hand, he just might discover the RM website and get back into contact.

I hope that is of interest to the questioners.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graham Bunn

Colin Keyes

Post by Graham Bunn »

You may have read that Matt Monros daughter Michele discovered a film reel in the family garage,it had lain there for nearly forty years and contained the only live concert performance of Matt Monro.

The concert has now been put upon D.V.D and is called "An Evening With Matt Monro".

It was recorded in Australia in 1967.

Upon this D.VD is an up to date documentary and Colin Keyes gives his views on Matt the performer.

So if anyone is interested in Colin Keyes he can be seen upon this D.V.D

Best Wishes
Graham
Graham

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Thanks Graham. I'd seen that Matt Monro dvd advertised in 'Best Of British' magazine, and was planning on buying it. I'll look out for Colin Keyes when it arrives.

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Colin Keyes

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Whilst late night browsing I re-read the pieces about Ruby's ex pianist Colin Keyes. I have completely lost all contact with him and I would very much like to buy a copy of the dvd that he appears on with Matt Monro. Can someone give more details on it so that I can order it?

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I never quite got around to buying a copy, although I know it's been available in HMV stores.

Possibly the easiest way for you to get a copy, Bernie, is through Amazon.co.uk. I hope this link will take you straight to it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/sea ... 50-8647051
The DVD is offered at two different prices, and I believe the reason for that is that a special edition was produced which includes a book. I don't know if Colin Keyes is mentioned in the book.

Brian

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Well I tested that link after posting my previous message and it didn't seem to work. Try this one, but if it fails again Bernie, just go to www.amazon.co.uk and then click on dvd and type Matt Monro in the search.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/sea ... 50-8647051

Brian

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Another failure :( Where's Gerald, our wizard of technology .... HELP! :?

Jk

Post by Jk »

Try this if you have a pop up blocker on HOLD CTRL and click on link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 57-6479820
Regards
John.

Sandy

Colin Keyes

Post by Sandy »

For Bernie and those who are seeking info on Colin Keyes - I have just received the programme for Grimsby Auditorium.

Wednesday 16th November - Matt Monro Jnr 20th Anniversary Memorial Tour
A tribute to the late great Matt Monro by his son Matt Monro Jnr. With the Monro orchestra, featuring Colin Keyes, Matt Seniors original MD, and guest singer Roy Leslie. etc. etc.

Bernie Burgess

Colin Keyes,

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Sandy,

I am delighted with your news concerning Colin Keyes. I have looked on the internet to find out more about the Matt Monro show and have seen a few more dates where the show will be appearing. I intend to send a message to Colin in the hope that he will contact me, it's been so many years since I last spoke to him.

As I have said before, he is a very fine musician and a brilliant pianist, He also has a wonderful sense of humour. I have a few snapshots of him, taken when we were doing a forces entertainment tour, where he displays his comedy touches. The combination of Ruby's humour and Colin's was a real joy. When I become a little more proficient with uploading photos, (the change over to Windows XP has confused my slow progress in this diection), I will try to upload a couple of shots taken on that tour.

I hope you are keeping well Sandy and that you will continue to participate on the website.

Adios Senora. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Brian Henson wrote:Another failure :( Where's Gerald, our wizard of technology .... HELP! :?
Just away for a few days on holiday! But John has revealed his mastery of technology, so we can rest assured that there is a back-up for when I go away for longer!

(I think the problem was that the url that Brian gave included his own identity from a cookie placed there by Amazon, which of course does not work for anyone else except him. Next time, see if you can get onto Amazon without it saying "Hello Brian" or whatever name you have registed with them. Then you might be able to give us a link.)
Gerald