No acitivity?- Ok here's a teaser.

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

No acitivity?- Ok here's a teaser.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I haven't managed to win in the teaser contest up to now but I think these two will change things in my favour.

In which song does Ruby mention a girl sitting down on the job?

In which song does Ruby find herself short on words?

Happy listening.

Adios Amigos. Berne

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Bernie,

Just a quick try at your quiz......

"What words can I say " "Dear Daddy"

Could The girl be sitting at the window spinning? "The Spinning Wheel"

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

The Teaser.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham,

Nice try, but sorry it's not those songs. Don't give up Graham, have another go. I don't really expect to win but it's great fun trying. I daresay someone will get them in the next couple of days.

Adios Amigo. Bernie

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Bernie,
I will have another stab at the first question.

Could it be the girl who so wanted to get married as she sat down to the milking of her cow

"The Humour Is On Me Now"

Although the answer to the second Qestion is not "Dear Daddy" could you perhaps answer me a question.

I love Ruby singing this song but I have heard that this song was written by Mr Joe "Piano" Henderson for Petula Clark to sing as a tribute to her father do you know if this is true?

Best Wishes
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I have just listened to "The Humour Is On Me Now" and I think you are right, Graham. My money's on that song!

For the other one, let me try a different tack. How about "Promises you made now are broken, la la-la la, la la-la-la la"? The title being "Promises Were Made To Be Broken" of course. I have never understood why composers use la las in the middle of a song. It's OK in something like "Hey Jude" where it is used as a fade-out, but in other cases when they come in place of a line I am left wondering whether they couldn't think of any words to put in. Hence my conclusion that this is the song you are referring to, Bernie.

I don't know if Bernie can answer the question about "Dear Daddy" but I know a man who can! Brian Henson is on holiday at the moment (in USA) but I feel sure he will know the answer.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

The Teaser

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

Firstly to GRAHAM, Yes you are perfectly correct: -

"And the girl sat down quiet calmly to the milking of her cow saying "I will and I must get married for ' THE HUMOUR IS ON ME NOW'"

Regarding your question about Joe 'Piano' Henderson writing 'Dear Daddy' for Pet Clarke and her father. All that I can tell you is that there was a definite link between Pet Clarke and Joe when he worked in a music publishing office in Demark Street. I had a great friend who worked in Denmark Street for many years, and that included the time when Joe worked there, his name was- Johnny Gordon. He was great pals with Joe and he was a walking encyclopedia regarding everything to do with music publishing and Denmark Street. He would have undoubtedly known the answer to your question but unfortunately he is no longer with us. Johnny worked for many different publishers in Denmark Street, including Peter Maurice Music, KPM and eventually joined EMI Publishing. All of the 'Song Pluggers' as they were referred to around that time, were all great pals together.

Artistes, including myself, used to call at the various offices in 'The Street' looking for material for either broadcasting, television or recording and the 'Song Pluggers' including Joe, would be only too please to play their latest songs to the visiting artistes in the hope that they would use it for radio or T.V.

As Gerald says in his reply, Brian Henson is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to music and publishing but your question is more of a personal nature so I have doubts as to whether he can answer your question either, worth a try though. There might have been a story written about the subject, in which case Brian is you man.

GERALD, you confirmed 'The Humour Is On Me Now' okay so you can join Graham by each having a gold star in your work book. Unfortunately you have failed on the second question so the gold star must be demoted to a silver one, for the time being anyway. No clues for the moment as I'd like to see if someone else can come up with the answer. Neither of the JOHNS have put in a reply as yet but it's my guess they soon will though.

All will be revealed later, I might even give a clue if no-one guesses correctly which would mean, -I WOULD WIN.

Happy listening, Adios Amigos. Bernie.

[/u]

Gerald Lawrence

I hope you meant that as both Graham and I have failed on the second question, we BOTH get demoted? If not, I shall appeal!

In "If Anyone Finds This, I Love You" Ruby sings "I smiled at the note, then I tossed it aside" - that would make her a bit short on words, according to my reckoning. What do you think, Bernie? Not bad, eh? I suppose it's a bronze if I'm wrong....
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Has I know the words of most Ruby songs. I think Bernie you have come up with a good one this time, because it could be any of 5 or 6 songs. Anyhow I am going to my first choice which is " It Only Hurts For A little while" which she says "What Can I do".
Regards
John.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi John,

I think your answer is too similar to that of mine for "Dear Daddy"

But I would mention Ruby sings "Thats What They Say,Thats What They Tell Me.

I'm still thinking I want the upgrade to a gold star like Gerald.
Graham

Bernie Burgess

The Teaser

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Oh I am enjoying this, I'm winning up to now.

Sorry Graham but Gerald does have a point, you failed on the other question too so yours has to be a silver too. Sorry about that. Unfortunately from the answers you both have given me on the second songs you are heading for bronzes.

John, on the other hand only had one answer to find, which he failed on, so I suppose I ought to give him a second guess and if he fails on that he joins you both on a bronze. Theres much more I could say about the differences between each of you but I think that should even things up.

Gerald. - No appeals I'm afraid, the referee's decision is final. Back to the drawingboard lads

Happy listening. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

I am really confident this time - going for gold again.

This must be it "I'll come when you call, when you give me the word" sings Ruby, in my favourite song. So without "the word" she is short on words, yes?

I hope so, or it's demotion for me again, with no appeal.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

The Teaser

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Oh dear Gerald,- how art the mighty fallen? I suppose I could give you a blue star for effort. ..... I now am begining to get this underlying feeling of power, nevertheless, I hope that it will last over the weekend.

Be on the lookout for a hidden clue, it may help quite considersably. a bit early perhaps? Although I might consider laying a smoke screen down to confuse everyone - like ...... you must keep on trying.

I wish Brian was here to see me gloating.

Happy listening. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

The Teaser

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Frends,

Due to computer difficulties, I shall be 'off the air' for the weekend but I shall look foward to viewing your replies to 'The Teaser on Monday'. No clues here I must add.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Bernie,

Are you allowed to
"Change Your Mind"

The words keep slipping away Mr Wonderful

Won't be around for a few days so keep the gold on hold for me.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

The Teaser

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Graham.

Well done indeed - "Oh there's much more I could say, BUT THE WORDS KEEP SLIPPING AWAY". Go straight to the top of the class. I put a clue in earlier, did you pick it up and did it lead you to the answer?

I had hoped that I might be able to hang on for just a little longer but I'm dealing with knowledgeable Ruby Murray fans. If you send me your work book I will stick the gold star in it.

Congratulations (that isn't the start of another teaser)

Adios Amigos. Bernie.