Yours Magazine 17th August 2005

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Yours Magazine 17th August 2005

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I have just had a telephone call from David Frankish (who ran Ruby's Official Fan Club up to its closure) to tell me that the issue of Yours Magazine which is due out on the 17th of August is expected to contain a feature article on Ruby.

The last article to appear in this magazine is posted in our Library (under Miscellaneous Images Page 5) and this was two pages, together with a cover picture, so it should be worth looking out for this new article.
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Just got my copy of "Yours" Magazine.

It's a nice article on Ruby and has two photographs of her.

I would recomend fans to go out and buy the magazine

Best Wishes
Graham

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

Errors in the "Yours" magazine article???

"Ruby had her own television show" - ?????????????

"She had five singles in the top twenty at one time - which wasn't equalled until Madonna came along" - ??????????

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Like Don I can never remember Ruby having her own T.V show.(could be wrong)

In 1954 we had a small black and white T.V and I think they could be referring to her appearances on "Quite Contrary"

Ruby did have her own Radio show and I remember so well each week listening with my ear to the radio as reception was so bad,that was on Radio Luxenburg.

It seems that the connection with Madonna is always going to be there but we fans know that Ruby still holds the record for having five hits in the charts at one time.

Best Wishes
Graham

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

Thanks Graham - 1954 I was in the RAF doing National Service - watched Ruby in her first Quite Contrary TV Appearance - wrote to her that same evening care of the BBC and was amazed to get an handwritten reply back from her a few days later! We corresponded and met many times after that.

She introduced me to Tommy Cooper and Ronnie Carroll as her very first fan over here (outside of Ireland!).

Bernie Burgess

The Madonna Question.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

At long last I have returned home to Spain having spent quite a number of weeks away.

There are one or two items that have appeared on the website that I would like to comment on, but for a start - the misunderstanding about Madonna having either equalled or exceeeded Ruby's world record of 5 hit singles at the same time. A check was made, I think by one of the friends on the website, with The Guinness Book of Hit Singles and they confirmed that Madonna only had three hit singles in the charts at the same time. This the confirms, as most of us know, that Ruby's record has never been beaten.

I will return to the website to read more messages.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Radio Broadcasts

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

Interesting reading about the broadcasts etc. I can remember going to a recording studio, in the Edgware Road area I think, when Ruby recorded some broadcasts with Ronnie Aldridge. What a brilliant pianist/musician Ronnie was. I wonder whether those recorded broadcasts that Ruby did were for Radio Luxemburg, I believe they were.

Later, with The Jones Boys we did some Sunday concerts with Ronnie Aldridge (and the Squadronaires), including the Davis Theatre in Croydon, The Regal Edmonton. We did other Sunday concerts with Kenny MacIntosh and his Orchestra (which included Gordon Langhorne on trombone - later to become Don Lang) and Jack Parnell at venues such as The Trocadero- Elephant and Castle with Ronnie Harris (of The Story of Tina fame) on the bill, the same singer that was featured with Ruby in the Pathe film about the making of a record.

Happy memories. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Madonna

Post by Jk »

Just to confirm for all the new members. This is a copy I received from the Guinness Book Of records.

No she didn’t. Madonna only managed three.

Regards

David Roberts

Editor: Guinness World Records Book of BRITISH HIT SINGLES & ALBUMS

Telephone: 020 7891 4547

www.britishhitsingles.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 19 January 2004 16:09
To: 16th British Hit Singles
Subject: Madonna

Hi, can you please tell me if Madonna equalled Ruby Murray's record of having 5 songs in the charts at one time, if so can you name them.

Regards, Ruby fan

John.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you for that reminder John.

Just in case Yours magazine has used this website for information, I have added a note to the Biography page covering your point about the Guiness Book of Records. As the biography page consist of quotes from other sources, I did not feel I could just change it. Maybe one day we should get Bernie to write a new biography for us?

If anybody spots anywhere else on this website where it supports the claim that someone else has equalled Ruby's record, please let me know and I will try to get it changed.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

'Yours' Magazine.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Is it possible that someone might upload the article from 'Yours' onto the website because 'yours truly' lives in foreign parts and I cannot buy a copy. I am anxious to find out which photos they have used.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Brian Henson

'Yours' magazine

Post by Brian Henson »

Has anyone responded to your request to see the 'Yours' feature, Bernie? I'm spending a few minutes catching up on messages, so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere - but in addition to the recent issue which featured the full page article on Ruby, 'Yours' have now brought out a separate 'Showbiz Special' issue - which covers entertainment during the decades 1950s to the 1990s. I only bought this issue yesterday, so I haven't looked through it thoroughly yet - but I can confirm that there is another photograph of Ruby in it. It's not one I remember seeing before, and appears to be a quite early photo. If anyone else would like to check it out, look out for the 'Special' with a young Cliff Richard on the cover. and you will find the Ruby pic on page 18.

Brian

Bernie Burgess

'Yours' Magazine

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Brian,

Fortunately for me a neighbour brought a copy of the magazine back to Spain and gave it to me, I was very grateful. I wonder whether anyone has spotted a slight date error within the article? It states - Quote- In 1954 Ruby went to a show called Mrs Milligan's hotel, Unquote.
Ruby was 12yrs old when 'Dickie' Afton booked her for that show at the 'Ally Pally', as it was affectionately called in those days, so it could not have been 1954.

Did anyone else pick up on that slip?

Adios Amigos. Bernie.