Ruby Live Shows or TV/Radio Shows

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Kerry H Edwards

Ruby Live Shows or TV/Radio Shows

Post by Kerry H Edwards »

Having read the CD Anthology notes again, I note Ruby appeared in many such shows. Were any of these recorded - were there any radio transcriptions of shows she did? Were there any TV appearances recorded so a DVD might be released? Perhaps they may be buried in EMI archives somewhere and we should dig them up.

Am enjoying the Anthology, savouring all the songs again - thanks again for this great compilation.

regards

Kerry in Canberra

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hi Kerry, the problem is that we know of very little material featuring Ruby at the height of her popularity, even though she made plenty of TV appearances to promote her records. Shows like "Off The Record" and "Six-Five Special", plus many guest appearances on variety shows, all appear mentioned in scrap book cuttings of the day, but sadly this was before simple methods for recording programmes were available, let alone home Video Recorders.

If you have not already accessed them, then I draw your attention to three short film clips that Brian Henson found for us a couple of years ago. They are Pathé Newsreel items, and can be found at http://www.britishpathe.com followed by typing in Ruby Murray in the Select box.

Ruby did appear a few times on TV later in life, and it is possible that recordings exist of her then, but from what I have gathered, she does not sing in many of them, as they were generally of the form of chat shows. If anybody has a good quality recording of Ruby that they could make available, I would be happy to try and make DVD copies of it.

I am glad you have been able to get a copy of the Golden Anniversary set, and that you like the compilation.
Gerald