Happy Days And Lonely Nights

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

Happy Days And Lonely Nights

Post by Graham Bunn »

There is a new C.D out called "Happy Days And Lonely Nights" release date 15th August on Pegasus price £4.99

Details can be found on Amazon and if you look on ebay at this moment in time there is a picture of the new C.D.

Best Wishes
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thanks for that, Graham. Another CD mystery - why would EMI release their master tapes to another company to put out a CD in the same year as their two other releases, and using the same material?

It's a nice collection, nevertheless, and the cover picture is certainly quite stunning and eye-catching (even though it has been reversed to suit the artistic presentation!)
Gerald

TheIrishInMe

Post by TheIrishInMe »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RUBY-MURRAY-HAPPY ... otohosting Yes, it's a nice picture...

However, I must explain something to you Gerald. Pegasus are not a company who licence from major labels. At the moment they are doing a LOT of issues containing material that has recently gone out of copyright, now it is more than 50 years old. They don't need to pay anything to EMI or Ruby's family.

I am guessing the sound quality isn't very good, the songs are probably taken from 78s. If it is good, then it will be taken from currently available CDs!

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you for that, IrishInMe (sorry but I have no idea what your name is!)

It does make you wonder what companies think they can add if they really are making CD copies from old records. I spent many happy hours doing the same thing for my own collection, but they have long since been abandoned now the originals from the master tapes are available.
Gerald

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

If the 'Happy Days And Lonely Nights' CD is a Pegasus issue, then I am most surprised, because (as has already been mentioned) they usually deal in out-of-copyright material. My understanding of the 50-year rule is that 1955 recordings do not fall into public domain until the end of this year. In other words, only 1954 recordings are available to such companies at the moment. Looking at the list of titles, it would seem that Pegasus have completely overstepped the mark by even including 1956 tracks. If indeed they haven't been properly licenced, then EMI should sue, as such a release could have a detrimental effect on sales of the boxed set.

Has anyone actually bought a copy of this CD yet? I will be very interested in knowing what the sound quality is like, as a couple of Pegasus issues that I have bought are pretty grim.

Brian

TheIrishInMe

Post by TheIrishInMe »

Good point, Brian. If they are including 1956 tracks, they are jumping the gun rather a lot and the CD is illegal.

Pegasus did something even worse recently - a CD compilation pertaining to be Petula Clark 'Live'. However, it was soon discovered that the tracks were just late 60s Pye studio recordings, and they had not been licenced at all. The CD has now been pulled.

I am Chardonnay from Whirligig, btw, aka Theo. :)

Bernie Burgess

The Pegasus C.D.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

For those of you who have purchased the Pegasus CD, have you taken a really close look at the photograph on the cover? As Gerald has said, whoever did the art work has taken some very drastic steps. Ruby's face has been badly distorted, it almost looks as if they have placed a mask on her face, I for one simply do not recognise her face at all.

I have asked Stephen Woof at EMI for his comments on the issue by Pegasus and although I know that he has been away on holiday and will therefore be snowed under upon his return, I am looking forward to his reply.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

The Pegasus C.D.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I entered the previous message twice so I will attempt to erase this space

MATRON! Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Message for Irish In Me.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello my friend,

I tried to send you a detailed email via your 'personal message' but I am not sure that I succeeded in getting it away, Did you receive a long email from me?

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

TheIrishInMe

Post by TheIrishInMe »

Bernie - no email. But I did reply to your PM at last!

Graham Bunn

Happy Days And lonely Nights

Post by Graham Bunn »

For those of you who may have been tempted to purchase the"Happy Days And Lonely Nights" C.D,I have just been informed by a friend in Chicago who has purchased the C.D that the sound quality is terrible.

Brian did indicate that he thought that this might be the case,so it seems that the best advice is not to purchase it.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

The Latest C.D.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham,

I do not expect to find this latest C.D. here in Switzerland but when I get back to Spain on November 7th I will see whether it is in the shops there.

I hope to find out from E.M.I. what the situation is with Pegasus, the other strange release, and this current one.

Keep up the good work Graham.

Adios Amigo. Bernie