22.: Please Hold Me Tightly

23.: You Are My First Love

24.: Teddy O'Neil

25.: Green Glens Of Antrim

Titles on disc 2

1.: That Look In My Eye

2.: It Only Hurts For A Little While

3.: Ave Maria

4.: Good Luck Good Health God Bless You - Murray, Ruby & Eddie Calvert/Michael Holliday

5.: True Love

6.: In Love

7.: O'Malley's Tango

8.: Mr Wonderful

9.: Pretty Pretty

10.: Scarlet Ribbons For Her Hair

11.: Macushla Mine

12.: Passing Strangers

13.: Ain't That A Grand And Glorious Feeling

14.: Keep Smiling At Trouble

15.: Forgive Me My Darling

16.: Nora Malone

17.: In My Life

18.: Real Love

19.: Little One

20.: Courtin' In The Kitchen

21.: Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms

22.: At Finnigan's Ball

23.: Little Bit Of Heaven

24.: With Me Shillelagh Under Me Arm

25.: Doonaree

Titles on disc 3
1.: Humour Is On Me Now

2.: Meeting Of The Waters

3.: Mick McGilligan's Ball

4.: Who Knows

5.: Goodbye Jimmy Goodbye

6.: Pretty Irish Girl - Murray, Ruby & Brendan O'Dowda

7.: Connemara - Murray, Ruby & Brendan O'Dowda

8.: Message From Jimmy

9.: Voice In The Choir

10.: You Are My Sunshine

11.: Smile

12.: Love's Old Sweet Song

13.: When You Wore A Tulip

14.: When I Grow Too Old To Dream

15.: Button Up Your Overcoat

16.: Music Maestro Please

17.: Now Is The Hour

18.: Pennies From Heaven

19.: Till We Meet Again

20.: Last Mile Home

21.: Forever

22.: Congratulations

23.: Sweetheart Of All My Dreams

24.: My Little Corner Of The World

25.: Living For The Day

Titles on disc 4
1.: Goodbye Is The Loneliest Word I Know

2.: Dear Daddy

3.: Tammy Tell Me True

4.: Faith Of A Child

5.: Pianissimo

6.: Diamond

7.: How Did He Look

8.: As Simple As That

9.: I'll Walk The Rest Of The Way

10.: I'm In Love With The Boy Next Door

11.: Hurry Home

12.: Something Old Something New

13.: Let Him Go Let Him Tarry (live)

14.: Teddy O'Neil (live)

15.: Delany's Donkey (live)

16.: Johnnie Gray (live)

17.: Doonaree (live) - Murray, Ruby & Brendan O'Dowda

18.: Dear Old Donegal (live)

19.: Eileen O'Grady (live) - Murray, Ruby & Brendan O'Dowda

20.: MacNamara's Band (live)

21.: Promises Were Made To Be Broken

22.: Come Into My Heart (previously unreleased)

23.: Jimmy Unknown (previously unreleased)

24.: If I Were A Blackbird (previously unreleased)

25.: Isle Of Innisfree (previously unreleased)

Mar 2005
This anthology is a fitting tribute to one of the best selling solo artists of the 1950s. 50 years ago in 1955 Ruby Murray held a unique record, she had no less than 5 singles in the top 20 at the same time.

During a hectic period in the mid-50s, she had her own television show, starred at the London Palladium in Painting The Town with Norman Wisdom, appeared in a Royal Command Performance, and toured the USA, Malta and North Africa.

Frank Sinatra once told her: "You're a hell of a great singer and I am your greatest fan."

This album contains all of her hits, some classic songs, some traditional Irish songs, a great live set and 4 previously unreleased tracks. The booklet contains many previously unseen photographs from Ruby’s family collection and notes by her former husband Bernie Burgess.
Last edited by Jk on Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
Regards
John.

Graham Bunn

Track Listings

Post by Graham Bunn »

Thanks for putting all the titles upon the "Message Board",it looks like there is something there for all the fans.

For me two brand new titles,I have never heard Ruby sing "If I Were A Blackbird" and the "Isle Of Innisfree" so I am really looking forward to hearing both songs.

Thanks to all concerned for getting this project off the ground and for giving us the pleasure of hearing all our favourite tracks once again
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Just to let you know that HMV are now giving the track listing on their website, and it confirms the one above which John has given us. As Graham says, hopefully there is something for everyone, while trying to keep to getting all of Ruby's songs onto CD.

This means that if you purchase all of the following CDs, you will have the majority of songs recorded by Ruby in the quality of a CD:

1. The Magic of Ruby Murray (EMI)
2. When Irish Eyes Are Smiling/Irish and Proud Of It (EMI)
3. Five Fabulous Females (Vocalion)
4. Merry Christmas With The Stars (Vocalion)
5. Change Your Mind (President)
6. Anthology - The Golden Anniversary Collection (EMI)

We know there is another CD coming, although as yet we don't know what will be on it.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Did you doubt me Gerald, Only kidding. :lol: :wink:
Regards
John.

Brian Henson

The Golden Anniversary Collection

Post by Brian Henson »

I hope everyone has their order in place for the EMI Boxed Set, which is scheduled for release next Monday. I was pleased to see the full track listing published in the latest edition of 'In Tune' magazine which arrived this morning, and to help spread the word beyond RubyMurray.org I have just posted a message to the 1950s Nostalgia website, Whirligig - under it's Music Forum - and I included the full Top 20 as published 50 years ago this week in the 'New Musical Express', in which Ruby achieved her still unbroken record of 5 songs in a single chart. If you wish to read this item, enter http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/index.htm into your browser, then click on 'Message Board'. Many of the contributors to this site write most affectionately about Ruby, and if like me you love to wallow in memories of that great decade, the various Forums discuss all kinds of topics of the 1950s covering Films & Theatre, Sport & Literature, Radio & TV - and of special interest, the popular music of the time.

Back to the forthcoming Boxed Set, I hope we might hear mention of it on the Radio. There are very few likely programmes on BBC Radio 2 these days, but I'm hopeful that the Sunday afternoon programmes introduced by Russell Davis (2.30-3.30pm) and Ed Stewart (5.00-7.00pm) might find space for a track or two. I know that many local stations still include some nostalgia programmes, and Digital stations such as Saga may hopefully play tracks by Ruby too - so do let us know on this Forum if you hear the set get any mentions around the country.

Brian

Gerald Lawrence

Thank you for that, Brian, there are lots of nice things said about Ruby on the Whirligig website.

Readers may like to know that a couple of weeks ago, I tried to convince Terry Wogan that he might like to remember this special week in his morning programme. But it seems he preferred not to, since in 10 hours of broadcasting this week, there does not appear to have been one mention of Ruby.

Still, that shouldn't stop us from trying to get her records played. Don't forget, there are more people in the UK over 60 than under 16, although to listen to the radio you wouldn't believe that. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so please don't hesitate from writing in to the BBC, SAGA, and local radio stations asking for a Ruby Murray record. It might work.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Enthuiasm From Friends/Fans

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Friends,

It does my heart good to read so much enthusiasm coming from so many friends on the website. Being in foreign parts I am a little out of touch regarding radio programmes and record exposure. I will make another approach to EMI to see if I can establish what 'plugs' have been lined up on radio. I feel sure that the sales division will have done their home work in this department but confirmation would be pleasing.

I have done quite a bit for the cause here along the entire Southern coast of Spain, (Gerald became a broadcaster here too) from Denia right down to Malaga with other possible local exposures to come. I have requested a few 'promotion' copies from EMI so I will be able push for exposure here and there.

Keep up the good work. Adios Amigos. Bernie,

Jk

4 Box Set

Post by Jk »

just had my delivery of my 4 box set from Amazon. I am just playing the first cd, and it sounds great. :D
Regards
John.

mal macleod

CD SET

Post by mal macleod »

Have received my set from Amazon and delighted at the quality and presentation. An absolute bargain at the price also!!
Many thanks to all involved in the production.

Mal Macleod

Gerald Lawrence

My set came from HMV on Tuesday 29th (most appropriate day, I thought) although I was away at the time. I agree with other comments that the presentation is rather good - lots of gold colouring, including the four disks, and Bernie's words nicely presented. I just thought the inside back picture was just a bit of an odd choice? Ruby's back, the front of a cameraman getting her to pose, and the majority of the picture taken up with a 1950s Ford Prefect! Much as I like that particular car, I think I would have chosen a different picture.

I haven't had a chance yet to play all the songs, but the ones I have selected have all turned out to be very good quality. I particularly liked finding some stereo versions of songs (eg Dear Daddy, and How Did He Look?) which make these songs for me sound even more beautiful. And the two new tracks are very good as well. Some of you may recall that it was I who put into our song library a cleaned up version of Come Into My Heart, and Jimmy Unknown. Both of these came from very damaged factory acetate pressings, and took many hours of work on my PC to get them to the presented state. I think it was just knowing that they had once belonged to Ruby that kept me going and trying for perfection. Well, at long last, and with very many grateful thanks to EMI, we now have these songs in pristine condition straight from the master tapes - I for one will treasure them both.

I can't very well comment on the selection of songs, since it was my original list which was used to create the final one, but I sincerely hope that everybody will be pleased with what they find on this set.
Gerald

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Is it just me, or does this tracking listing differ from the actual order on the CD's?

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Tim, you are quite right, the listing is different from the CD, I took it off Amazon and they have got it wrong, I have just checked and it still shows the one I posted, I will sort it.
Regards
John.

Jk

Anthology Track Listing

Post by Jk »

Hello all, sorry for the mistake, but it seems a few sites have got it wrong. I have now hopefully done it right, please check it and let me know, which I'm sure you will. I need a brandy now after all that.
Regards
John.

Timmer
Site Admin

Re: Anthology Track Listing

Post by Timmer »

Jk wrote:Hello all, sorry for the mistake, but it seems a few sites have got it wrong. I have now hopefully done it right, please check it and let me know, which I'm sure you will. I need a brandy now after all that.
I know for a fact it is wrong. :) Disc One, I think, is correct. Disk 2 is where they started to make changes. I'd guess that was the original track list, but when the Anthology went into production they probably made some last minute changes.

This is neat. We'll be perhaps the first on the net to have the correct order. :)