Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Gerald, thanks for posting the picture, it is very good how it has been done.
Could Rory Be Rory Gallagher the late great Irish Rocking Blues guitarist?
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys, Hope you are all well.

John, I think you are right about Rory Gallagher.

Gerald, thanks for posting the picture of Ruby. Let us hope that the tour guide comes on here soon and maybe she can give a synopsis of Ruby's life and career on future bus tours.

Martin :D

spudmurph

plaque veiling confirmed

Post by spudmurph »

Hello everyone

I know I don't contribute very often to this site but I can confirm that the Rory that you saw on the plaque is indeed Rory Gallagher. Unfortunately I can't give you any details but I do vaguely remember the plaque being unveiled.

Kathleen

Bernie Burgess

Post Suject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Kathleen,

Good to see your name on the forum again, you should be seen more often. Give your Mum (Marie) our love and wish her well for us. Have you seen Ruby's plaque recently, we are all wondering whether it's being well looked after?

Adios Senora. Bernie.

spudmurph

plaque veiling confirmed

Post by spudmurph »

Hello everyone

I haven't seen Ruby's plaque recently because of the work that is being done on the Ulster Hall. I had seen the picture on the Donegall Road which I think is fantastic but unfortunately had no camera to take a picture for you all so I am glad that Gerald has managed to do so.

Kathleen

Bernie Burgess

Re: Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,
To my complete surprise, the new, entirely refurbished Ulster Hall, will be launched with a whole month of celebration shows starting on March 6th (2009). Apparently the closure lasted 2 years and the transformation, costing many millions of pounds, will be in keeping with it's original unique atmosphere and Victorian style. Many of todays stars will be taking part in these forthcoming shows.
I have taken it upon myself to send email data, (including a copy of the Home Page of Ruby's website, the one with all five song copies on showing the world record) to 'whom it may concern' to remind them that part of the hall's history was shaped by local Belfast artistes of the past. I have also reminded them by way of photos and other data i.e. a copy of the celebratory programme of Ruby's appearance there when she was 12yrs old and politely requesting that her name should be remembered during the huge celebrations.
I also discovered that the hall was opened in 1862 and it was later bought by the then Belafast Corporation for £13-500.

I never did find out whether Ruby's plaque was removed during restoration and if it was, whether it has been returned to it's original site of prominence on the facia of the building, under the ornate canopy. I am hoping that someone local will be visiting during the celebrations and will be able to confirm that ll is well with the treasured plaque.

Adios Amigos.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Quite some time has passed since it was noticed that Ruby's plaque had not been returned to it's place of prominence on the facia of The Ulster Hall after completion of the massive renovation scheme had taken place After WE made certain enquiries about when it would be re-instated, including contacting the then reigning Lord Mayor of Belfast (who incidentally was instrumental in getting the council to fund it's manufacture and carried out the unvieling) it thankfully reappeared but this time inside the entrance to the Hall. Now it is protected from weathering, although perhaps fewer people will see it, unless they are entering the Hall,

I must ask our friend Teddy O'Neil, who I believe remarked about it's absence, whether he has actually seen the plaque now that it is on display once again and noted where it is currently sited.

Over to you Teddy.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Our 'Friend' Teddy O'Neil has informed me that the plaque has in fact been returned to it's original position, on the facia of The Ulster Hall and not inside the building, as we were given to understsand by members of the Council. Collectively we can assume that we were instrumental in achieving it's return to prominence. - well done everybody.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Fantastic!

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

That's good news. Only the other day Rosemary, who will be in Belfast for a few days, said to me that as the plaque was now inside the foyer, she wouldn't be able to get to see it. Now she might! :)
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Great News. thanks Ted. :D
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello 'Friends,

Believe it or not, next month sees the 4th anniversary of the unveilng of the commemorative plaque at The Ulster Hall in Belfast. I wonder whether the plaque is being well cared for. If any 'friends' happen to be in the area it would be great if they could take a quick peep at the plaque just to see what condition it's in. I feel quite sure that the management of the venue will take great care of the plaque but having striven so hard to give it birth I am super sensative about it's welfare, I know that 'friends' will appreciate that fact. - 4 Years is a very long time to be exposed to the elements.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I have nothing useful to say - I just wanted to make it go to 40,000 views!

I remember with great pleasure all the fun we had, those who were able to travel to Belfast, and those who watched some of our more "interesting" antics via the Belfast City Hall webcam! What a great day it was, and thanks to Bernie for kicking it all off.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Gerald, it's ok you makinq it 40000 but Bernie has put 39990 on, the other's where me Graham Brian & Martin. I don't know what all the fuss is, most who new Ruby will be dead now or won't be able to see the plaque.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John.
I appreciate your sense of humour but I am still nursing sore fingers with posting 39990 times, it was quite a marathon.

On the other hand, on a more serious note. there are videos of the plaque and it's unveiling in the Library for anyone who has not seen the actual plaque, or it's unveiling. The whole event was a huge success and we even managed to get on to the internet 'live' on the day via cameras sited on the exterior of City Hall.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.